Author Topic: Passiflora 'Snow Queen' fruits  (Read 1335 times)

Vinci

• France, Bordeaux city zone 8b
    • View Profile
Passiflora 'Snow Queen' fruits
« on: July 15, 2022, 12:55:42 PM »
Hi :)

Last year I planted two cuttings of Passiflora 'Snow Queen' they grew so fast and they bloomed profusely. I was a bit surprised to see it setting fruits ( there are some P. caerulea in the neighborhood ). I couldn't resist to taste a fruit..  and I was very surprised by its sweetness..  it reminded me a bit P. laurifolia I have tasted  oO
Anyone ever tried to grab one of these fruits from this variety ?

Vinci

• View Profile
Re: Passiflora 'Snow Queen' fruits
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 11:28:49 PM »
PS : I also wanted to know if there is any problem to eat mature fruits from this.. ?
Generally, do some Passiflora produce toxic fruits ?

Just for the sight, two flowers of 'Snow Queen'

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 04:36:39 AM »
PS : I also wanted to know if there is any problem to eat mature fruits from this.. ?

Just for the sight, two flowers of 'Snow Queen'

beautiful blooms ! I think all of the pasiflora fruits have some toxins until they are fully mature' that said there may be some varieties of passiflora that have higher levels of toxicity in their fruit' even when ripe...

Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 06:44:47 AM »
So..    I might probably stop eating those fruits..
It's a pity since they are numerous, and they taste good..   or I could continue eating them, using myself as a guinea pig and make a report weeks later to inform you..

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 07:22:45 AM »
So..    I might probably stop eating those fruits..
It's a pity since they are numerous, and they taste good..   or I could continue eating them, using myself as a guinea pig and make a report weeks later to inform you..

try to do a deep investigation on the species's edibility. U may or may not be fine with eating the fruit....

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 12:32:13 PM »
Vince3nt, I did a quick search and this site https://www.riversidepassiflora.com/passiflora-snow-queen/ 
This site say's it's enedible!
Do the fruit have seeds?

Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 04:15:49 PM »
Ahahaha    I am gonna die of my gluttony ^^
Sure they are edible and it's write inedible just to prevent people to know how good they are ( like the forbidden fruit XD )

The fruits are plenty of seeds like the caerulea ones. I will try some controlled crosses with this Snow Queen.

Lovewhatis

• Los Angeles, CA 90061
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 05:18:22 PM »
Have you tried the classic Caerulea Fruita? If so, are they anything like that? Caerulea at its best does have a sweetness and slight flavor but you speak of a real flavor comparison. I've always overlooked snowqueen but if your tongue is trustworthy, I make have to seek the plant. Thank you.

Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 11:56:16 PM »
Yes of course I have already eaten caerulea fruits, at multiple times, and I have never experimented, tasted the same I have with 'Snow Queen'.
Some says P. caerulea 'Constance Elliot ' has better fruits compare to classic caerulea, slightly true..   but anyway, nothing to compare to my opinion with P. 'Snow Queen' ( here I have some difficulties to grow Passiflora..  and this one is a beast, I love it )

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 03:53:59 AM »

Some of the weedy species in Australia have warnings, mainly for small children eating the fruit.
https://www.childrens.health.qld.gov.au/poisonous-plant-wild-passionfruit-passiflora/
The native Australian species in NthQld seem unappetising. Not sure if they are toxic.
Found them in the rainforest but didn't eat them.
If Snow Queen fruit is "inedible", does that mean toxic ?
Why not contact the breeder ?
 The pollen parent was an unusually hardy form of Passiflora caerulea and the seed parent was the hybrid 'White Wedding', itself is a tetraploid hybrid created by Roland Fischer and Henk Wouter of Hemer of Germany that was the result of crossing Passiflora caerulea 'Constance Elliott' with P. eichleriana. Passiflora 'Snow Queen' was selected in 2011.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 04:02:43 AM by pagnr »

Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 02:49:46 PM »
Thanks to remind origin, the complete parentage of 'Snow Queen'  ;)    Now I am pretty sure the fruits are safe to eat .
But could it be possible that new compounds appears in 'Snow Queen' that are not present in any of its parents. And, if in addition, these new substances are toxic for human consumption..        I am paranoid ^^

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 03:42:15 PM »
Much of the "food" we eat could be considered inedible or even toxic, *burp...

Growing an almost all-white passiflora that makes similar looking fruits. They are funky and floral in flavor. Definitely different and with potential flavorwise, but a bit too much out-of-hand for me. Not sure if they are considered edible.   

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 03:43:11 AM »
"But could it be possible that new compounds appears in 'Snow Queen' that are not present in any of its parents??"

Yes it think it is less likely if both parents are edible.
You could get an increase in the levels of some compounds in new hybrids.
Next question is how many are you going to eat, one or two every now and then, or the whole crop ?

Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 11:19:56 AM »
One or two fruits every day  ( today I ate two ). For the moment everything is ok  ;)
Agree with you about the increasement of some pre existing compounds, that could lead to toxic concentration.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Passiflora toxicity
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 11:52:51 PM »
The green parts of many passionfruit vines do carry medicinal compounds that have been utilized by native tribes in the Americas. They are potentially toxic however as they can act as an MAOI, which is not compatible with a diet containing aged foods.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk