Author Topic: Green Sapote First Flowering and Comparison with Mamey Fruit  (Read 12621 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Green Sapote First Flowering and Comparison with Mamey Fruit
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Did another taste comparison between Pantin mamey and a seedling green sapote. This time both were unrefrigerated. The green sapote had again better texture, more moist. This time the green sapote won hands down for flavor, having a more complex taste than the Pantin. Both were equally sweet and equally fiberless. I will do a third taste comparison tomorrow to make sure this is fair assesment.

From my recollection of the two....albeit tasted separately.......this evalution coincides with my thoughts on the comparing the two. I have never had a green sapote other than from the TREC tree.  I wonder how much variation there is between green sapotes. Looking at its mammey cousin, I would expect some fairly decent variation as well.  What do you think Oscar?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Green Sapote First Flowering and Comparison with Mamey Fruit
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 09:22:24 PM »

From my recollection of the two....albeit tasted separately.......this evalution coincides with my thoughts on the comparing the two. I have never had a green sapote other than from the TREC tree.  I wonder how much variation there is between green sapotes. Looking at its mammey cousin, I would expect some fairly decent variation as well.  What do you think Oscar?

Harry

Yes there is a lot of variation in quality in seedling green sapotes. Here we have 2 basic types, a round and an elongated torpedo shaped type. I'm thinking that with some selection and grafted cultivars green sapote could far surpass quality of mamey cultivars.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk