Author Topic: Mangos in 45 gal Pots  (Read 9826 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Mangos in 45 gal Pots
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »
Like most of us, I am running out of room to plant additional large fruit trees in my yard. I still want to add more trees so I recently removed my HUGE black sapote from the side of my house and replaced it with a large Rosiegold and a Pickering in 45 gallon pots. Two for one!  Both seem to be good candidates for containers. Is anybody out there using these big pots? They are not easy to find at reasonable prices. I got mine for free but have seen them sell for very high prices.   

Pickering

Rosiegold

FloridaGreenMan

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mangos in 45 gal Pots
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »
Nice mango trees.  :)
Alexi

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:31:52 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »
Nice trees.  I have plenty of room...I should start leasing out space for trees.  Actually, I ordered another five trees (harvest moon, sunrise, pina colada, and sweet tart) and a monroe avocado will be planting them 30 feet apart, so that will take up some space.

why 30 feet apart ?
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
Like most of us, I am running out of room to plant additional large fruit trees in my yard. I still want to add more trees so I recently removed my HUGE black sapote from the side of my house and replaced it with a large Rosiegold and a Pickering in 45 gallon pots. Two for one!  Both seem to be good candidates for containers. Is anybody out there using these big pots? They are not easy to find at reasonable prices. I got mine for free but have seen them sell for very high prices.   

You are giving me ideas!! I have a free one from when a Chase Bank branch opened nearby. They planted trees and the contractors let me have one of the the pots they came in

natsgarden123

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »
"And if someone complains that it will take too long for the trees to grow and fruit, I remind them that the time will go by regardless, so plant the tree today"  attributed to MMD but it might have been Lao-Tzu or Sun-Tzu - Great Quote

My brother likes this one :
The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is
now.

Anyway, I was wondering if a shorter wider container would be preferable. Ive seen the very large ones at Excalibur ans they are really wide.
 :)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:32:14 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:12:25 PM »
"And if someone complains that it will take too long for the trees to grow and fruit, I remind them that the time will go by regardless, so plant the tree today"  attributed to MMD but it might have been Lao-Tzu or Sun-Tzu - Great Quote

now.

Anyway, I was wondering if a shorter wider container would be preferable. Ive seen the very large ones at Excalibur ans they are really wide.

My pots are 30 inches wide and  21 inches deep. The mangos I planted were 15 gal sized trees.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:39:39 PM by FloridaGreenMan »
FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:21:10 PM »
why 30 feet apart ?

I was thinking about letting a few trees grow to become shade trees.  I visited Harry's place and thought 30 feet would be a good spacing to prevent squirrels from being able to jump from tree to tree.  Most of my trees were planted in my front yard 16 feet apart...decided 30 feet for the backyard.
I understand what Harry does but in reality, you could benefit by planting closer and keeping the trees pruned in a manageable manner.  What is the benefit you ask, you could have a larger number of varieties.  You could also very well wind up with the same amount of fruit as you would from unpruned trees since you would have better access to harvest all of the fruit.  I wouldn't worry about the squirrels, if you have them in your yard they are going to visit your trees whether they are 15 feet apart or 30 feet apart.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »

now.

My pots are 30 inches wide and 12 inches deep. The mangos I planted were 15 gal sized trees.

that sounds right. I've had good luck with some potted fruits like blueberries, pineapple,fig but I haven't had success with mango
are you using the gritty mix? I never used it but it seems that the trees like it longer term.
I have the room to plant more but it's nice to be able to have a wide variety.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:18:04 AM »
What about using inexpensive poly trash containers instead of expensive 45 gallon pots? I did this and it works great. You can even get very inexpensive trash containers that come with wheels, so you can easily move the containers around when they need to be protected. All you need to do is drill some holes on the bottom of the container for drainage.
Oscar

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 07:32:42 AM »
Not quite 45 gallons but I'm growing my Glenn on a 25" W x 18 1/4 Tall...I repotted it from a 25 gallon last year. Someone on GW guesstimated it around 38 Gallons?

I had a piece of shade cloth in the garage and decided to wrap the sides with it hopefully will help keep it a little cooler especially in the heat of summer.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »
Oscar:
What about using inexpensive poly trash containers instead of expensive 45 gallon pots? I did this and it works great. You can even get very inexpensive trash containers that come with wheels, so you can easily move the containers around when they need to be protected. All you need to do is drill some holes on the bottom of the container for drainage.

I had considered doing this but was unsure how the containers would hold up to the sunlight and weight, particularly while being moved around.
Richard

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 08:02:23 AM »

now.
MMD is mangomandan...he said that at ye old gardenweb

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 10:06:28 AM »
Great mangoes at a great prices!  Did you tear out your only black sapote tree?

good luck,
-Ethan

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 06:42:41 PM »
Great mangoes at a great prices!  Did you tear out your only black sapote tree?

good luck,
-Ethan

Yea I tore it out because the roots were too aggressive next to my house foundation. Wanted to avoid damage. It was too big anyway.   
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 01:36:13 AM »
Oscar:

I had considered doing this but was unsure how the containers would hold up to the sunlight and weight, particularly while being moved around.

All the ones i've used have held up pretty well...most hold up better than poly used on pots.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 01:37:58 AM »
Seedling black sapotes can get to be very big trees. Grafted black sapotes tend to stay much smaller and give better quality fruits.
Oscar

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 09:22:25 AM »
Noel: Nice mango trees.

Mark: I would go with 15 feet instead of 30 feet.
Adiel

natsgarden123

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 10:19:22 AM »
Florida Green Man:

How long have you had the mango trees in pots?  I have had little luck with mango trees in pots- they did fine until about a year and then they declined. I put one of them in the ground and it grew back nicely otherwise, they all  died. ( I had a Julie, Carrie and a mallika- the mallika I transferred to the ground) I also used the miracle grow moisture soil with some added perlite and bark. Also, how large were the trees initially-were they 7 gallon? Mine were all 3 gallon. I am going to try it again- using the gritty mix that everyone talks about-
We live pretty close to each other so the climate is the same.
 any secrets? :)

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
Florida Green Man:

How long have you had the mango trees in pots?  I have had little luck with mango trees in pots- they did fine until about a year and then they declined. I put one of them in the ground and it grew back nicely otherwise, they all  died. ( I had a Julie, Carrie and a mallika- the mallika I transferred to the ground) I also used the miracle grow moisture soil with some added perlite and bark. Also, how large were the trees initially-were they 7 gallon? Mine were all 3 gallon. I am going to try it again- using the gritty mix that everyone talks about-

The 45 gal potted trees are very recent planted.  I have had other mangos in pots for a few years and they are OK but these are 15 gals pots. I think the trick is to use well draining soil made mostly with peat, a good quality mulch, perlite and vermiculite.  I make my own soil. Potted trees are easy to under or over water.   Let's see how my trees do. It's just my experiment. If they start declining, then I will have to modify my strategy. 

FloridaGreenMan

natsgarden123

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »
Florida Green Man:

The 45 gal potted trees are very recent planted.  I have had other mangos in pots for a few years and they are OK but these are 15 gals pots. I think the trick is to use well draining soil made mostly with peat, a good quality mulch, perlite and vermiculite.  I make my own soil. Potted trees are easy to under or over water.   Let's see how my trees do. It's just my experiment. If they start declining, then I will have to modify my strategy.

Florida Green Man:

How big were the trees you put in the 45 gallon pot?
[/quote\q

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
Florida Green Man:

They were a big  7 gallon size. 5 foot tall with fruits

Florida Green Man:

How big were the trees you put in the 45 gallon pot?
[/quote\q
FloridaGreenMan

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »
55 gal plastic drums work well as plant containers. You can find them for free, just make sure they have stored safe biodegradable things.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 11:30:30 PM »
all sorts of advantages to different pot sizes and styles.  depending on crop being grown and who's growing.  sometimes wider pots are better for not being blown over by wind and for shallow rooted plants.  although deep containers  have benefits as well, like increasing density of plantings and also easily soaked in a bucket.

now.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com