Author Topic: The skinny on Potassium . . .  (Read 3494 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
The skinny on Potassium . . .
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
I know that guy at Fairchild Gardens only recommends adding Pottasium for established trees,
but is that because it improves the quantity or the quality (or both) of the developing
fruit?

Or is it something else?

(the question is asked knowing that ALL the elements - nitrogen, phosphorous and many others
interact in non-specific ways when it comes to the overall success of plant life)

??? !

Thanks, MellowFang

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: The skinny on Potassium . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »
Yes, it's supposed to raise the brix of the fruit, enhance color, and reduce incidence of disease (among other things). The basic premise is that there already exists sufficient levels of the other macronutrients in the soil, so adding more nitrogen (above what the soil already has) is detrimental to the established mango tree. As I understand it, Dr Campbell had somewhat of an aha moment when he saw how the Indians were growing their mangoes -- basically in holes dug in rock mountains -- and realized that such stressful conditions were actually conducive to mango production.

I know that guy at Fairchild Gardens only recommends adding Pottasium for established trees,
but is that because it improves the quantity or the quality (or both) of the developing
fruit?

Or is it something else?

(the question is asked knowing that ALL the elements - nitrogen, phosphorous and many others
interact in non-specific ways when it comes to the overall success of plant life)

??? !

Thanks, MellowFang
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »
I believe calcium is also supposed to improve the quality of mangoes (the fruit) and make them sweeter.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »
fruit?

Or is it something else?

??? !

Thanks, MellowFang

Gonna give you the mango "to live an die in LA" lowdown. Straight potassium  (which usually means potassium sulfate) is for older mangoes say past 3-5 years like in Florida though your conditions differ

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »
MangoFang, you didnt mention what type of tree, did you refer only to mango trees?  I have seen the "Potassium" only NPK fertilizer requirements only been recommended for mango trees.  (The mango tree still requires the minor elements)  If someone knows of another tree that this recommendation applies for please let us know.

Also as Jeff mentioned, this is recommended because our soil has enough Nitrogen and Phosphorus for mango trees.  But will it apply to other locations?  That would depend on your soil.
Adiel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:37:03 AM »
MangoFang, you didnt mention what type of tree, did you refer only to mango trees?  I have seen the "Potassium" only NPK fertilizer requirements only been recommended for mango trees.  (The mango tree still requires the minor elements)  If someone knows of another tree that this recommendation applies for please let us know.

Also as Jeff mentioned, this is recommended because our soil has enough Nitrogen and Phosphorus for mango trees.  But will it apply to other locations?  That would depend on your soil.

Straight potassium works well also on bananas, rambutans, pulasans.
Oscar

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:32 AM »
Thanks Oscar for the info.
Adiel

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
Thanks Jeff, Adiel, Zands, Oscar, BS.....

So it's mainly the brix level in the mango fruit - so no known effect
on increasing the quantity side.....

Thanks AGAIN -

FunnyFang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk