Author Topic: Dyna-Gro liquid fertilizers question.  (Read 1741 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Dyna-Gro liquid fertilizers question.
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »
For all my container plants, I've been using Foliage Pro 9-3-6 most of the time. For in ground Japanese maples, I use Liquid Grow 7-9-5, as recommended by people at Pacific Coast Maples. I'd like to keep things real simple. What would be the disadvantages of using 9-3-6 for EVERYTHING? My maples seem to be doing OK with or without any fertilizers, so more than likely, I'll just use 9-3-6 from now on, but would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks,

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: Dyna-Gro liquid fertilizers question.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
I use Grow 7-9-5 on almost all my containerized plants (except plumeria, which get the Bloom) and have good luck with it in my conditions.  A lot is going to depend on the environmental conditions, frequency, strength, etc...

That being said, the maples probably aren't going to need a lot of phosphorus unless your soil is lacking in it.  My local soil contains plenty of phosphorus so we really only need to add nitrogen and a little potassium for in-ground things here.  But that's in Colorado.

If you want to know for sure what fertilizer you need to use, soil tests are usually available from your county / state / state university for about $20-$30, and will generally come with a recommendation for exactly what nutrients you need to add for optimal plant growth.  Anything other than a soil test will just be rampant speculation about what fertilizer in-ground things need, and even reports of success from others is only applicable to their particular soil situation.

Kevin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk