Author Topic: Anyone have bee hives  (Read 5317 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B Florida
    • View Profile
Anyone have bee hives
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
I am going to be getting a hive soon for my property. Does anyone hear have one? What are your experiences with having to hand pollinate vs the hive....I use to hand pollinate my dragon fruit but I see many photos where the bees do the work...Also bees are good for my raised veggie bed....I know my watermelons can stand to benefit...and I get honey!

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have bee hives
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »
Have you joined the Palm Beach Bee keepers group? There is one on Broward also. 
FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:48:03 PM »
Make sure you aren't allergic to bee stings  ;D :o
- Rob

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:27:55 AM »
I've been beekeeping for over 30 years.  I think most people that enjoy producing food from their fruit trees would enjoy the art and science of beekeeping.

Bees do sting, but less than 1% of the U.S. population have a systemic reaction to it.

Good suggestion on participating in meetings of your local beekeeping association; it's usually a great place to learn.

Honey bees forage a mile or more from their hives, so it's usually not essential to have bees on site (but it's helpful).   Farmers with acres of one insect-pollinated crop that blooms at the same time, or heavy users of pesticides, would definately benefit from honey bees on site.

John

PS:  My beekeeping website:  http://outdoorplace.org/beekeeping/

Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
A lot of beekeepers here have thrown in the towel. With arrival of varroa bee mites and now the hive beetle some have told me it's just not worth all the trouble. As a result honey bees are now almost non-existent here.  :'(  Honey has become very expensive, and some x-beekeepers told me most of imported honey you buy here is adulturated or fake honey.
Oscar

mikesid

• Zone 10B Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
A lot of beekeepers here have thrown in the towel. With arrival of varroa bee mites and now the hive beetle some have told me it's just not worth all the trouble. As a result honey bees are now almost non-existent here.  :'(  Honey has become very expensive, and some x-beekeepers told me most of imported honey you buy here is adulturated or fake honey.

It seems with all the problems with commercial bee industries it's even more important that homeowners start learning how to keep bees properly. I ran into a lady in boynton beach who has over 1-1.5 million bees on her 1/2 acre lot in a residential neighborhood..Seems like in the future we may heavily rely upon people like this...Just picked up a book about bee keeping at the book store...time to get cracking....

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:38:27 PM »

It seems with all the problems with commercial bee industries it's even more important that homeowners start learning how to keep bees properly. I ran into a lady in boynton beach who has over 1-1.5 million bees on her 1/2 acre lot in a residential neighborhood..Seems like in the future we may heavily rely upon people like this...Just picked up a book about bee keeping at the book store...time to get cracking....

Here both commercial and home/hobby beekepers are having the same problem: varroa mite + hive beetle = disaster for bee keeping. On the mainland there is the added problem of sudden death syndrome, probably caused by all the pesticides, especially atrazine. But here that is not so much the main problem.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 06:52:02 AM »
Hi,

There's alot of Bee keeping vids on You tube!

What I have learned is that the ''Italian bees'' are more calm and less aggressive
than the other! Which is good if you are in the Suburbs!

I also want to get a hive next year! Behind my house there a forest of Acacia and Eucalyptus trees which bloom heavy...
Sure to get fantastic honey from this trees! ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 07:18:54 AM »
I am going to be getting a hive soon for my property. Does anyone hear have one? What are your experiences with having to hand pollinate vs the hive....I use to hand pollinate my dragon fruit but I see many photos where the bees do the work...Also bees are good for my raised veggie bed....I know my watermelons can stand to benefit...and I get honey!

I am in north Broward, and was having to hand pollinate too and I looked into bee keeping too but came to the conclusion that in a home environment it is impractical, and likely not legal.

So Lowes and Home Depot solved my problems.

I went to their garden centers and watched lots of wild honey and bumble bees on their perennial  flowers looking specifically which types the bees liked best. I came home with 10 pots of flowers and also bought a flowering calamondin. Today I have lured sufficient wild bees to keep from hand pollinating ever again. Even iff bee keeping were an option for you, I think my solution is a good start before going through getting a hive.

My "Bee  Haven" is under the eaves of my house in an otherwise useless area that now serves a purpose. Here's a pic of the area when I planted it. Now the flowers are MUCH larger.

Regards,

Gary

mikesid

• Zone 10B Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 04:33:05 PM »

I am in north Broward, and was having to hand pollinate too and I looked into bee keeping too but came to the conclusion that in a home environment it is impractical, and likely not legal.

So Lowes and Home Depot solved my problems.

I went to their garden centers and watched lots of wild honey and bumble bees on their perennial  flowers looking specifically which types the bees liked best. I came home with 10 pots of flowers and also bought a flowering calamondin. Today I have lured sufficient wild bees to keep from hand pollinating ever again. Even iff bee keeping were an option for you, I think my solution is a good start before going through getting a hive.

My "Bee  Haven" is under the eaves of my house in an otherwise useless area that now serves a purpose. Here's a pic of the area when I planted it. Now the flowers are MUCH larger.

Still, the bees have to come from somewhere. And the more we move toward turning everything into a parking lot or neighborhood the less habitats we have for our busy friends. With the recent colony die off there has been much legislation toward individuals keeping bees. Currently in my city (Boynton Beach), it's not illegal...As I stated earlier, I met someone who had 1-1.5 million bees in a neighborhood setting...Excessive or not, she has no problems. There is just too much negative thought towards the idea of keeping a hive in a home setting because they sting. Dogs bite, cats scratch,  nearly every critter you can get as a pet bites. True, a hive is not for everyone. But, i feel those of us that rely so heavily on fruiting and pollination should make more of an effort to at least understand bees and their needs. I too have attracted more to my garden with native plants, but, keeping a hive shouldn't be determined by something somebody told you, but should be investigated more thoroughly. We take for granted sometimes that we put a seed in the ground and we get a tree and eventually fruit...Let's not lose site of the environment as a whole...

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »
Have you thought about trying to attract native bees? I am not sure how to do it but I think it would be beneficial since they are shown to be more effective pollinators than the honeybee.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=687.msg8029#msg8029

mikesid

• Zone 10B Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »
Have you thought about trying to attract native bees? I am not sure how to do it but I think it would be beneficial since they are shown to be more effective pollinators than the honeybee.

After seeing that presentation it made me think of competition for nectar between native bees (63 different species) and honey bees...I guess the jury is still out as far as displacement but I found some info stating they actually help with cross pollination between certain plants. Also native bees only pollinate upper flowers on strawberry plants while honey bees pollinate lower flowers...From some of the research out there I guess there is still a lot to learn about their interactions but with honey bees providing 85% of the pollinating activity in the nation they are still invaluable. But I agree supporting local and native populations are just as important as our desire to want to incorporate non-native plants.

mikesid

• Zone 10B Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »
Here is info from UF: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa145

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »
My city's ordinances will not allow a homeowner to keep a maintained hive on their property if it is zoned single-family residential. They wont make you get rid of a feral bee colony that decides to take up residency in your yard, but they wont have you putting up bee boxes.

DM

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
Also wanted to mention that many fruits like Mangos are not pollinated by bees but rather by flies and other winged insects.  Annonas are pollinated by tiny beetles.     
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 01:09:14 AM »

A good alternative pollinator here is the carpenter bee. All you have to do is have some rotting poles around for them to make a home in. They're solitary bees and don't usually sting. They look kind of like a bumblebee, another good pollinator.
Oscar

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
I'm lucky that my yard butts up against a state forest with some big open fields - so plenty of weeds for native bees, and there is a feral honeybee hive in the old oak tree beside my driveway. Pollinators are not my problem, I'm loaded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk