Author Topic: dragon fruit bloom question (pic added)  (Read 4242 times)

REB1136

• View Profile
dragon fruit bloom question (pic added)
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:19:29 AM »
I was wondering are all dragon fruit blooms white? I have a cutting that I got off ebay,that is suppose to be a dark star cutting.It bloomed but the bloom doesnt look like any of the other dragon fruit blooms I have seen picture of and it is a dark red color. I will try and post a picture later, but I dont think it is a dark star cutting >:(      Here is the picture

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:24:08 PM by REB1136 »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: dragon fruit bloom question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »
I was wondering are all dragon fruit blooms white? I have a cutting that I got off ebay,that is suppose to be a dark star cutting.It bloomed but the bloom doesnt look like any of the other dragon fruit blooms I have seen picture of and it is a dark red color. I will try and post a picture later, but I dont think it is a dark star cutting >:(

All the ones I have seen have been white.....predominately at least.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »
They are not all white, I have seen pink flower varieties. I would assume that you could get many different colors through hybridizing.

Here is a link of a pink flower variety.
http://www.mattslandscape.com/detail/?plant_name=Bruni
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:54:54 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
Thanks for the info Null.  You live and learn, if you keep your mind, ears and eyes open and your mouth shut.  I'd be interested to see how the fruits are in comaprison from these more colorful flowers.  All of the dragon fruit that are sold for production of fruit that I have seen have all been white in blossom color.  That would include (in my experience)  Physical Graffiti, Purple Haze, American Beuty, Yellow, Dark Star, Delight, Cosmic Charley, Vietnamese Jaina and Haley's Comet 

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Null.  You live and learn, if you keep your mind, ears and eyes open and your mouth shut.  I'd be interested to see how the fruits are in comaprison from these more colorful flowers.  All of the dragon fruit that are sold for production of fruit that I have seen have all been white in blossom color.  That would include (in my experience)  Physical Graffiti, Purple Haze, American Beuty, Yellow, Dark Star, Delight, Cosmic Charley, Vietnamese Jaina and Haley's Comet 

Harry

Yeah I would of thought the same about a year ago, I am always on the look out for new fruiting plants to grow and stumbled upon different colored flowered DF. It would be interesting to see the fruit of this DF from what I read @ mattslandscape.com, fruit is *set* on cross pollination.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:27:34 PM by nullzero »

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:21:34 PM »
I don't think the fruit will change depending on the cross. I believe he meant to say that it has to be cross-pollinated to produce fruit.
In my experience the fruit from these ornamental varieties are not nearly as good as the fruit-improved cultivars

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »
I don't think the fruit will change depending on the cross. I believe he meant to say that it has to be cross-pollinated to produce fruit.
In my experience the fruit from these ornamental varieties are not nearly as good as the fruit-improved cultivars

Sorry for the miss info if thats true, I was confused by the wording. It does make sense that the fruit would be determined solely on the parent plant.

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 02:32:53 PM »

Sorry for the miss info if thats true, I was confused by the wording. It does make sense that the fruit would be determined solely on the parent plant.

It was just worded strangely on that website, not your fault at all my friend

REB1136

• View Profile
Re: dragon fruit bloom question (pic added)
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »
added a picture