Author Topic: Mai 1,2,3 differences?  (Read 4421 times)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Mai 1,2,3 differences?
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:19:57 PM »
What is the difference between Mai 1,2,3?

thanks,
-Ethan

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mai 1,2,3 differences?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »
From what I have been told all three were selected by a gentleman in our area along with Richard Wilson of Excalibur from a group of seedlings.  My assumption is that the jakfruit is "SOMEWHAT" true to seed, so I would assume they are from the same planting, and thus very similar.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
Mai 1 - flesh is yellow in color, very sweet, crunchy, medium to large fruits
Mai 2 - flesh is yellow in color, fruit very sweet, crunchy, medium to large fruits, tree is "smaller"/more compact than Mai 1 & Mai 3
Mai 3 - flesh is orange in color, fruit very sweet (and possibly the strongest/fullest flavor), crunchy, small to medium fruit

Anything other specific info you are looking for ?
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
From what I have been told all three were selected by a gentleman in our area along with Richard Wilson of Excalibur from a group of seedlings.  My assumption is that the jakfruit is "SOMEWHAT" true to seed, so I would assume they are from the same planting, and thus very similar.
Here is the scoop on its origin...a Vietnam war veteran came to the U.S. with a bag of "special" unknown jackfruit seeds given to him by his father.  He planted them out and Richard went to sample the fruit from the various trees.  Richard picked the three best, in his opinion, and named them Mai 1, Mai 2 and Mai 3 after the man.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:07:34 PM »
What is the difference between Mai 1,2,3?

thanks,
-Ethan

Superb question.  A scientific mind is needed to come up with these great questions.  My thoughts......very limited and of little help.  I have Mai 1 and 2 but have only eaten Mai 1. I have a Mai 1 seedling that is about to have ripe fruit on it.  I thought Mai 2 and 3 were seedlings of Mai 1. Posts made while I was writing this seem to contradict my recollection about what Richard said way back when, when there was only the Mai 1.   I also have a Mai 3 seedling....which is quite unremarkable so far. The fruits have not sized up or were severely misshaped.  This year the fruit look to be better, so we'll see.  That's all I can add.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
Thank you gentlemen, there is info on the net about them but it is very limited.  Do they all produce about the same time of year or is one early, middle and late?  Same amount of latex?

-Ethan

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
Here is the scoop on its origin...a Vietnam war veteran came to the U.S. with a bag of "special" unknown jackfruit seeds given to him by his father.  He planted them out and Richard went to sample the fruit from the various trees.  Richard picked the three best, in his opinion, and named them Mai 1, Mai 2 and Mai 3 after the man.

Rob,
I whacked off the small fruit I had on the Mai 3, to let it frow stronger.

Where can i get a taste and possibly purchase some Mai Jackfruit since I wont be growing any :(??
Zach

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:14:41 PM »
Thank you gentlemen, there is info on the net about them but it is very limited.  Do they all produce about the same time of year or is one early, middle and late?  Same amount of latex?

-Ethan
Their production time will greatly depending on the weather conditions.  You could say late summer to early fall as a round about time (though this year it looks like there will be multiple crops, one in the next month or so and then another later around fall).
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »

Rob,
I whacked off the small fruit I had on the Mai 3, to let it frow stronger.

Where can i get a taste and possibly purchase some Mai Jackfruit since I wont be growing any :(??
Don't be surprised if the tree goes and pushes blooms again...

Excalibur will have some...I will let you know when there is some avalable.
- Rob

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
thanks.
looking forward to it.
Zach