Author Topic: Best Jackfruit I ever had.  (Read 5975 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Best Jackfruit I ever had.
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:04:54 AM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:33:40 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best Jackfruit I ever had.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:25:10 AM »
So you have tried 12 different varieties and this was the best ?  What were the other varieties ?
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:29:14 AM »
Not sure what varieties, most were probably seedlings.

Over the years I've eaten them at fruit club meetings around FL, and at growers homes, even bought some from the market.

But I never asked what variety...I  guess because I had no intentions of purchasing more fruit (too expensive) or growing the tree ( too large and cold sensitive)...but now I'm changing my mind...and considering some jackfruit to grow possibly.

I know I have seeds of this one growing, but I didn't mark them!  So it could be one of two fruits I ate that day.

Oh well.  I'm sure other people would hate this variety I liked so much.  And I need me a grafted tree anyhow!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:07:34 AM »
Adam, would be good for you to add jackfruit at your location as they are more cold hardy than some of the other plants you're growing. Some people have even fruited jacks in southern California.
Fruits on ground very rarely have any latex as they are well ripened. Most people tend to eat jacks under ripe. They like super crunchy arils, which means usually the fruits are not fully ripe and hence fruits are laden with latex.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:30:25 AM »
Adam, would be good for you to add jackfruit at your location as they are more cold hardy than some of the other plants you're growing. Some people have even fruited jacks in southern California.
Fruits on ground very rarely have any latex as they are well ripened. Most people tend to eat jacks under ripe. They like super crunchy arils, which means usually the fruits are not fully ripe and hence fruits are laden with latex.
The Mai series is actually very low on latex.

Are you saying that no fully ripe jackfruit should be crunchy ?  Not sure I agree with that as I have had jaks that were definitely to the point of past ripeness that were still crunchy.  For as sweet, rich and flavorful as some of the crunchy jaks I have had, if they were truly underripe, how would you say they change other than as you say the texture ?

Adam - you should definitely try jackfruit.  They can not only be maintained and fruit at 10 feet or so but will definitely fruit full sized fruits when grown in large pots.  I agree, you should definitely start with a grafted tree, for both getting a true variety and for its more compact growth habit.  Guess this could mean mean a trip to Excalibur for some tastings.
- Rob

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
Oscar,

You say that these have fruited in Southern California.  I'd love to hear more about this.  I love jackfruit, and I'd love to grow them, but whenever I try, my seedlings almost immediately go crispy on the leaf margins, and quickly decline.  Is my problem the low humidity here in inland so cal, or is it my water, which is probably high in dissolved salts?  Or is it both?  Should I be using an acid fertilizer and filtered water to get a jackfruit off to a good start?  Should I give it much shade for the first couple of years?  Any input is appreciated.

James
James

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
Also, I know jackfruits can do well in large containers if grafted, but if I'm growing seedlings, will they manage with restricted root space?  I'd rather have a tree in the ground so that it has room to grow, but if buildup of salts and alkaline conditions are going to kill it, perhaps it should stay in a container.  What do you think?
James

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Why not just get a grafted tree?
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
Ya,

You could fruit a seedling in a pot.

They seem to bust out with fruits off of main branches, so even if u kept it pruned, I think eventually you'd get fruit...in about 4-7yrs from seed depending on many factors.

Key would be pot size, and waterings   Its very hard for the tree to hold large fruits, with limited rootspace.  I'd think you'd need a 45 gal or larger for any tree that would produce for more than just 1 or 2 yrs in the same pot.

hope u fruit one in a pot! from seed!

If so, I have some nice seeds to share!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
Excalibur is first place that comes to mind when I think of shopping for Jakfruits.

Pine island, hopkins, and the other big guys...don't seem to come close to Excalibur

Sometimes u gotta pay to play, and I don't mind.

So u will be seeing me in nursery near u. 

Do I get a senior discount? (senior member?) LOL

Are you saying that no fully ripe jackfruit should be crunchy ?  Not sure I agree with that as I have had jaks that were definitely to the point of past ripeness that were still crunchy.  For as sweet, rich and flavorful as some of the crunchy jaks I have had, if they were truly underripe, how would you say they change other than as you say the texture ?

Adam - you should definitely try jackfruit.  They can not only be maintained and fruit at 10 feet or so but will definitely fruit full sized fruits when grown in large pots.  I agree, you should definitely start with a grafted tree, for both getting a true variety and for its more compact growth habit.  Guess this could mean mean a trip to Excalibur for some tastings.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »
Excalibur is first place that comes to mind when I think of shopping for Jakfruits.

Pine island, hopkins, and the other big guys...don't seem to come close to Excalibur

Sometimes u gotta pay to play, and I don't mind.

So u will be seeing me in nursery near u. 

Do I get a senior discount? (senior member?) LOL

If I am having a Senior moment  ;D :P
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:23:12 PM »
"Are you saying that no fully ripe jackfruit should be crunchy ?  Not sure I agree with that as I have had jaks that were definitely to the point of past ripeness that were still crunchy.  For as sweet, rich and flavorful as some of the crunchy jaks I have had, if they were truly underripe, how would you say they change other than as you say the texture ?"

No i am not saying that. I'm saying that from my observations, and from photos i see that are posted, many people tend to cut and eat the jackfruit when they are way under ripe: full of sticky latex, very crunchy, but also not as sweet as when fully ripe, also a lot less sticky when fully ripe!
Oscar