Author Topic: Which tropical seeds can survive the Fridge?  (Read 2724 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Which tropical seeds can survive the Fridge?
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »
What happens when you put your favorite ripened tropical fruit in the fridge and then you decide you want to plant the seeds a few days later? What tropical seeds will survive the cold and remain viable? I have done it with sugar apples and they seem to remain mostly viable. Let's here some feedback on this.     
FloridaGreenMan

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Which tropical seeds can survive the Fridge?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »
Very interesting idea ...
I've done this to all the manila mangoes that are now seedlings I plan to use for grafting later on.  I'm also in the process of germinating some jackfruit seeds that had been refrigerated for over a week, seems to be coming along just fine in moist paper towel/zip lock bag.
Tim

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »
Hi,

I tried last year with Eugenia neonitida just to see how the fruit tasted chilled. It all shriveled up but tasted nicely. I then planted the seed and it has since then germinated. It could be a fluke so I wouldn't rely on my 1-fruit experiment too much.

Tomas

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »
cherimoya, jak fruit, mango, black sapote

-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »
What happens when you put your favorite ripened tropical fruit in the fridge and then you decide you want to plant the seeds a few days later? What tropical seeds will survive the cold and remain viable? I have done it with sugar apples and they seem to remain mostly viable. Let's here some feedback on this.     

Almost all seeds not only survive, but viability is extended by having in the fridge. This is especially true of seeds that can be stored dry, like sugar apple. Seeds that need to stay moist, like mangosteen, are a bit trickier, but even most of them can be refrigerated. When you store in your fridge you should use warmest part of fridge, usually the produce bins on the bottom. You don't want your seeds to freeze or come close to freezing.  Around 50F is ideal for most seeds.
Oscar

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:54:16 AM »
i once put jackfruit seeds for almost a month in the fridge ,, but it was inside a zip lock and their envelope (the one Oscar ships in) ,, and they germinated even after i kept them out of the fridge for about 3 days

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk