Author Topic: Incredible Palm Photo  (Read 7311 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Incredible Palm Photo
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »
I know it's not a fruit tree but I wanted to share this photo of a Royal Palm that survived an encounter with Hurricane Andrew in 1992. It used to be located a few blocks from the Fruit & Spice Park in Homestead and was pierced by a 2 x 4 board. The board penetrated the palm but survived for a long time until the city was forced to cut it down due to the many auto accidents that occurred when visitors stopped in the middle of the road to photograph it. I personally took this photo and this was way before the PhotoShop days! It is the real thing and shows you the fury of a hurricane

FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Incredible Palm Photo
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
I, as can many South Floridians, can vouch for this photo as to not being photoshopped.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
I've seen that picture even before photo shop existed in a book that I've read when I was a kid. So, basically you are right. It's not photo shopped. It's amazing how much power a swirling mass of storms can have. I was a 2 year old kid (almost 3) when hurricane andrew passed by. I was living in hialeah.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:01:08 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
I've seen that picture even before photo shop existed in a book that I've read when I was a kid.
So you must be a youngin  ;) 8)
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »
I've seen that picture even before photo shop existed in a book that I've read when I was a kid.
So you must be a youngin  ;) 8)

lol Yeah. I think it was in a nature's wrath book or a book based on hurricanes that I saw when I was in elementary or middle school. It wasn't Noel's pic but I think it was that same exact palm with the piece of wood sticking through the trunk.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:09:58 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »
Here's another pic.

Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »

Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 02:09:14 AM »
I know it's not a fruit tree but I wanted to share this photo of a Royal Palm that survived an encounter with Hurricane Andrew in 1992. It used to be located a few blocks from the Fruit & Spice Park in Homestead and was pierced by a 2 x 4 board. The board penetrated the palm but survived for a long time until the city was forced to cut it down due to the many auto accidents that occurred when visitors stopped in the middle of the road to photograph it. I personally took this photo and this was way before the PhotoShop days! It is the real thing and shows you the fury of a hurricane

Leave it up to government to take the stupid route out. Couldn't they just trim the ends of that 2x4 to make that tree look normal again? I guess it's easier for them to cut a whole valuable palm tree down? Trees can survive the fury of hurricanes but it's more difficult for them to survive the stupidity of men.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:03:06 AM »
Thank God, we don't have harricanes here!!!

Just from seeing these pics...sent shivers down my spine! :o :o :o

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
OMG!! Those pictures are amazing!! I moved to FL...(Bradenton) to be exact  from CA in June 1992 and Hurricane Andrew was my VERY first Hurricane ever! August 24the... I remember being my daughter's first day of school and there was a time that hurricane was thought to hit the west coast Tampa area...and they cancelled her first day of school. We were lucky it changed path ...but felt SO bad for the people in Homestead and the vicinity...they really got the brunt of it.

Steven, you are VERY lucky you don't get them!! Unfortunaely...I've been through several in the almost 20 years I've lived here.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:29 PM »
The force required to have that happen is unbeleivable,if you have ever tried to cut down a Royal Palm you cant imagine how thick and tough they are, don't ever want to see another Andrew, one in a lifetime is one too many.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »

Look what happened to my hand during the last tropical storm..

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »
That deserves a big thumbs up!   
FloridaGreenMan

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 06:25:23 PM »
LOL ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »
OMG!! Those pictures are amazing!! I moved to FL...(Bradenton) to be exact  from CA in June 1992 and Hurricane Andrew was my VERY first Hurricane ever! August 24the... I remember being my daughter's first day of school and there was a time that hurricane was thought to hit the west coast Tampa area...and they cancelled her first day of school. We were lucky it changed path ...but felt SO bad for the people in Homestead and the vicinity...they really got the brunt of it.

Steven, you are VERY lucky you don't get them!! Unfortunaely...I've been through several in the almost 20 years I've lived here.

Have seen videos on Youtube of 2x4's going all the way through cars during hurricanes. Fortunately they are extremely rare here. Last big one here was same year as Andrew and was called hurricane Iniki. Only hit island of Kauai, but was very devastating. Lots of headless coconuts all around and roofing metal hanging up on power lines like laundry hung up to dry. Our deep waters here are not warm enough to usually generate hurricanes. With Carribean shallow waters warming up every year Florida it seems is in for much more of the same. Every climatologist predicts more frequent hurricanes in Carribean and Florida in years to come. Too bad you can't make em disappear like Patrick did with his thumb!
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »

Have seen videos on Youtube of 2x4's going all the way through cars during hurricanes. Fortunately they are extremely rare here. Last big one here was same year as Andrew and was called hurricane Iniki. Only hit island of Kauai, but was very devastating. Lots of headless coconuts all around and roofing metal hanging up on power lines like laundry hung up to dry. Our deep waters here are not warm enough to usually generate hurricanes. With Carribean shallow waters warming up every year Florida it seems is in for much more of the same. Every climatologist predicts more frequent hurricanes in Carribean and Florida in years to come. Too bad you can't make em disappear like Patrick did with his thumb!

Oscar,

I was on Oahu during Hurricane Iniki, on a family vacation! I will never forget that, was 8 years old during it. I remember massive amounts of fallen limbs and palm fronds all over the streets. All the hotels went on emergency planning, opening the banquet rooms to people who needed shelter. I remember eating good free food in one of these large banquet rooms with many other people. Was a surreal experience
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »

Oscar,

I was on Oahu during Hurricane Iniki, on a family vacation! I will never forget that, was 8 years old during it. I remember massive amounts of fallen limbs and palm fronds all over the streets. All the hotels went on emergency planning, opening the banquet rooms to people who needed shelter. I remember eating good free food in one of these large banquet rooms with many other people. Was a surreal experience

Iniki only bruised Oahu, full force clobbering on island of Kauai. I was on Kauai two days after Iniki struck. Landed at Kauai airport to see already from the plane all the coconuts around the airport completely headless. Hard to believe what a hurricane can do until you see it with your own eyes.
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »

Look what happened to my hand during the last tropical storm..

Wow that must have been painful.... 

:P lol good one.
Alexi

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 07:03:32 PM »

Oscar,

Iniki only bruised Oahu, full force clobbering on island of Kauai. I was on Kauai two days after Iniki struck. Landed at Kauai airport to see already from the plane all the coconuts around the airport completely headless. Hard to believe what a hurricane can do until you see it with your own eyes.

Thank god was only brushed by Oahu, was not that crazy on Oahu besides the panic island trapped tourist :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
Luckily we dont get cyclones down here anymore - there is so much coastline here that they generally choose to visit one of our more laid back holiday destinations up north, often where they can do the most damage to soft crops (bananas and sugar cane) and many of the best rare fruit orchards - around Tully seems their destination of choice.
We've not had one since the 70s and usually they peter out into huge flooding depressions by the time they reach here. We do, however, get our share of supercell storms - we dont usually call them tornadoes, but they are super intense storms that are around 500m wide, spin, dump an enormous amount of water, and you have absolutely no warning of. We were in the middle of the 'Gapocalypse' a few years ago. Every other house in our street lost their roof but us, and luckily we didnt lose a single tree. The fruit gods smiled on us that day!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk