Author Topic: Some Random Garden Pictures  (Read 13384 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Some Random Garden Pictures
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:44:29 AM »
Hello Friends,

Here are some random pictures.  As the weather gets warmer, and stuff is starting to green-up and grow, I am slowly moving lots of my stuff out of the Greenhouses and into the yard.  These are just a few..... I will post more in a few days.

Some of my Citrus Trees and Orchids

A shot of the backyard looking at some of the trees that I have moved out of the Greenhouse

Grafted Wampee Tree, nice and big - Hopefully it will flower this year

"Prolific" Sapodilla - It is almost 8' feet tall in the Pot.  Growing Big and Nice.  I Plan to throw some Air-Layers on this one. It has tons of Flowers and is very "Prolific".....Its name is very Fitting.

"Paulista" Jaboticaba - Flushing quite nicely

Purple Star Apple (Caimito)

"Biew Kiew" Longan - Flowering Heavily

"Sweet Heart" Lychee - Starting a Heavy Vegatative Growth Flush (Hard to See in Pic)

"Hak Ip" Lychee - Starting a Heavy Vegatative Growth Flush. This tree is nice a big...7' feet tall (+). You can also see my Coconut Cream Mango in the Background.  Just planted out and suffered no Shock whatsoever  :).

My stuff is starting to go crazy and really take off.  I will take some more pictures this weekend to share, this was only a taste   ;).

Thanks,

Jacob

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Some Random Garden Pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:17:57 AM »
Hi Jacob,

Thanks for taking the time to share your slice of paradise ;)

Everything looks great and very healthy...Luv the orchids...BTW :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:21:15 PM »
Nice pictures, the second picture has a lot of plants in it :). Btw, what did you end up picking up from Greenscene? I hope there was worthy plants left for you.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »
Great pictures Jacob! I really like your Wampee tree! I have 2 grafted ones and a couple seedlings! I think it is a really under rated and over looked fruit! Hope yours fruits for you soon!

Ed

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
Wow! you have lots of stuffs going on. I like the butterfly ornaments for the children (I assume) Well done!! You have your priorities right! Your island of tranquility. All those trees are talking to you and even talking to me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:09:46 PM by zands »

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
Beautiful as always Jacob, cant wait for the rest of the show.

-Ethan

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
Those are beautiful photos and pretty trees :)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
Love the pics, especially the Prolific sap. Do you have a mister in the greenhouse?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 03:31:07 AM »

Here is my short trimmed 5 year old prolific for comparason.I keep getting rid of sapodilla trees but prolific is good.I think that krasuey tastes the best  and luckily it is by far the heaviest producer and is a continual producer in my area.

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 07:18:54 AM »
Hello Friends,

Thank you all for such kinds words of encouragement.  All is appreciated!

JackFruitWhisperer - Thanks...Orchids are my other toy..... ;D

Nullzy - Hey There my Friend.  I got a few Figs that I had been wanting, an Avocado, and all the stuff I got from Ethan.

Ed - Hey Ed, I too am really excited about the Wampee tree.  The more and more that I hear about it, the more excited I become.  This tree grows like a maniac.  I have already taken about 5' feet off the top and it is still almost 8' feet tall and growing.  It is grafted, so hopefully it won't be too much longer until it fruits, I can't wait to taste them.  I want to get some seeds and some named varieties to graft. Please let me know if you come across any seeds or seedlings that you would like trade or sell.  I would definitely be interested in taking them off your hands.

Zands - I will be posting Pics of the rest of my stuff, well most of it anyways.  I am glad you like the Butterflies, the kids love them.

Ethan - Thank you my friend.  All the stuff I got from you is adapting nicely.  I have them in my Greenhouse where they get plenty of warmth and humidity.   

Nat - Thank you so much.... :)

NewGen - I too love the "Prolific" Sapodilla.  It's name is quite fitting as it is absolutely loaded with flowers.  Hopefully that will mean lots and lots of fruit.  I do not have a Mister in the Greenhouse but I do have a Humidifier that does quite well in maintaining and raising the moisture level.

Mike - I must say that I completely and utterly amazed.  That is a Beautiful specimen that you've got.  Is the tree 5 years old, or have you had it for 5 years?  Either way, it is Gorgeous.  Could you describe the flavor, the texture, and how well and how heavily it produces?  Also, what is so special about this Variety that has led you to keep this tree, and get rid of the others?

Thanks Again Everyone!!!

- Jacob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 07:37:09 AM »
Jacob I would only be guessing but the prolific was planted as a small grafted tree 5.5 years ago and fruits maybe 3 times a year with 20 to 50 fruit.Flesh is smooth pale and mild and of around 20 types I have tried it is in the top 3.The 2 krasueys I have always have fruit and sometimes large,small and flowers at once with branches almost breaking with masses of fruit.The fruit of this one are smaller,smooth,with brownish flesh and a rich sweet taste...the best I've ever tried.

One krasuey is above and behind a friend who came over to forage in my garden today.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Jacob,

Beautiful trees.  May I ask whether you've had any fruit from your lychees or longan yet?  Also, where did you get your grafted wampee?  I've seen trees at Mimosa in L.A., but I never looked to see whether they were grafted or not.  I'm a little jealous of the beautiful flush of growth on your jabo, though I have one (M. coronata?) that is also putting out new growth, though not to the same degree.  May I ask how you fertilize yours?

James

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »

I can't show a pictutre of my prolific without a shot of my krasuey which is the real deal.Because it has been so productive I rewarded it by relaxing my heavy pruning rule which is now more of a guideline.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »
Great job Jacob! How are your Rollinias looking? I'm impress with your Lychees and nispero. Are you going to put the prolific in the ground?

MikeT

those are some impressive nisperos. Your krasuey fruits look small are they over 300g?

JF

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
Jacob I may be able to get you some Wampee seeds in about a month. If your tree fruits let me know how it taste. Maybe we can exchange scions! They seem to be really easy to graft!

Thanks,

Ed

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
JF they are just babes in that photo and the big ones were harvested at 90 to 200g a week earlier.That flush will be followed by the tiny ones just beginning now on that krasuey.The prolific average 180g with some much larger.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »

A closeup view of krasuey shows the fruit.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »
Jacob I may be able to get you some Wampee seeds in about a month. If your tree fruits let me know how it taste. Maybe we can exchange scions! They seem to be really easy to graft!

Thanks,

Ed
I would be real sure of the laws/regulations of the Wampee as it is in the citrus family, albiet distant...I believe citrus regulations/laws may apply here.
- Rob

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 11:37:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I didn't think about the citrus issue since I don't grow any citrus. But I do realize Wampee is a citrus relative so we won't be exchanging budwood.

Thanks,

Ed
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:56:07 PM by edself65 »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 05:23:41 AM »

A closeup view of krasuey shows the fruit.

I grow Krasuey sapodilla also, but my Makok and Sao Manila are much heavier fruiters.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 05:37:10 AM »
My friends makoks and my sawo manila are very productive but all krasueys I've seen are freakish with continuous bunches of fruit.The picture doesn't do it justice as there are clusters of the next flush of small fruit and the big ones have all been picked not long ago.At the kamerunga research station it came out way ahead of all others with only BKD10,prolific,makok and sawo doing really well also.Twenty other types including ponderosa,brown sugar,a few indian ones and mexicans did not perform as well.Trials in Darwin oddly put krasuey behind tropical,russell and another.In taste trials it always performs well but the size of fruit casn be down because it produces so many,.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »

Some people consider the aussie red papaya as the finest having deep red sweet flesh, little or no hollow and certainly superior in all respects to solos and many other prized types.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
There seem to be continual improvement in papaya varieties including better flavour,more productivity and more cold tolerance.One of my states seed companies called Papaya Seeds Australia seems to be bringing out new beauties all the time.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »

Some people consider the aussie red papaya as the finest having deep red sweet flesh, little or no hollow and certainly superior in all respects to solos and many other prized types.

This photo looks like the fruits are all female (totally round). Here female fruits are thrown away, only hermaphrodite fruits (more elongated shape) are sold. I think they're still edible, but not as good as hermies.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 05:14:14 PM »

Hi Mike,
your papaya and sapodilla look freak'n awesome!!!

My papaya also produce nice large fruit. :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
It is not mine but a friends' after I gave him seed and then mine died in a cyclone.It is a bisex of course not a female and round bisex types are the way of the future.Yellows and seperate sex one are just so yesterday.Look at the seed company I suggested and I reckon in a few years they'll be on your doorstep.Solos,NG reds,Thai reds and longs are still pretty good but things seem to be moving.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »
It is not mine but a friends' after I gave him seed and then mine died in a cyclone.It is a bisex of course not a female and round bisex types are the way of the future.Yellows and seperate sex one are just so yesterday.Look at the seed company I suggested and I reckon in a few years they'll be on your doorstep.Solos,NG reds,Thai reds and longs are still pretty good but things seem to be moving.

I think Solos are still one of most sold types of papayas. Don't see them moving anywhere.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »
Solos to Papayas are like hayden is to mangoes and both are entrenched.People speak of popularity and the most sold and common is not always best.Lovers of fruit sometimes want to soar with the eagles rather run with pack and try the finest.Don't get me wrong solos are good and I have one.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »
Hey Jacob, great updates on your trees.  Your Hak Ip Lychee is huge and I hope you get fruit next year.  Your Biew Kiew Longan is so small but has quite a lot of bloom spikes, you should get some good fruit from that tree in a couple years.  I wanted to get a Biew Kiew Longan also but couldn't find any in the shape I wanted so I picked up a Kohala and Sri Chompoo instead.  Let us know how your Wampee tastes when it finally fruit 8)
Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »
Solos to Papayas are like hayden is to mangoes and both are entrenched.People speak of popularity and the most sold and common is not always best.Lovers of fruit sometimes want to soar with the eagles rather run with pack and try the finest.Don't get me wrong solos are good and I have one.

Mate? You dare speak of entrenchment in land of the KP? 25 years+ of the same old same old?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »
Fruitlovers not really as KP is a whole class of mangoes and it is continually improving in the last 4 decades.Peach and bown special lineages are big and luscious and were so superior to the names I won't say again, they slam dunked the industry in popularity over and over.Only now with good asians has the gauntlet been thrown down to the KP types.1kg,red blushed bowen fruit seem to be in every second park and they have also become entrenched in the psyche over the decades as the best.They can look after themselves and doen't need my defence as I am an advocate of diversity and improvement rather than entrenchment.
Solo papaya is small,uniform,predictable has market recognition so will continue strongly irrespective of the quality of its rivals which may be too large or less recognisable to the public.Hayden I think must enjoy public recognition and a level of entrenchment to do so well in the US market.It clearly appeals to the US palate.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »
Jacob - did they all breathe a sigh of relief when they got outside?

You are an amazing grower of this stuff and all your plants show it!

MangoFang

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »
Fruitlovers not really as KP is a whole class of mangoes and it is continually improving in the last 4 decades.Peach and bown special lineages are big and luscious and were so superior to the names I won't say again, they slam dunked the industry in popularity over and over.Only now with good asians has the gauntlet been thrown down to the KP types.1kg,red blushed bowen fruit seem to be in every second park and they have also become entrenched in the psyche over the decades as the best.They can look after themselves and doen't need my defence as I am an advocate of diversity and improvement rather than entrenchment.
Solo papaya is small,uniform,predictable has market recognition so will continue strongly irrespective of the quality of its rivals which may be too large or less recognisable to the public.Hayden I think must enjoy public recognition and a level of entrenchment to do so well in the US market.It clearly appeals to the US palate.

Mike, you keep talking about solo papaya like it's only one cultivar. But just like KP it's a whole class of small cultivars of papayas, not just one cultivar. Solo includes:  sunset, sunrise, waimanalo, kapoho, and some other more recent ones including GM rainbow.
That said i'm sure KP, even the newest version, will not stand up to our best mangos here or the best in Florida. My KP still hasn't fruited, but people here that have had it both here and in Ozzieland don't think very highly of it. But i'm glad you like it!  ;D
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 02:22:29 AM »

Yes fruitlovers I should have said solos.It is interesting that it does not appeal to the amercan palate just as hayden may struggle in some areas for the same reason.People from Asia seem to go for it as it may be closer to SE Asian types.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 02:29:04 AM »
Maybe we don't have the latest and greatest version of KP? How many versions are there and do they carry additional names to differentiate them?
Oscar

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 02:40:44 AM »
Hello Friends,

emegar - I got 1 or 2 lychees a while back but nothing else to speak of yet.  Nor have I got any fruits from my Longan, hopefully a few this year.  As for the Wampee, I got it at Mimosa. It was grafted and only about 2.5' to 3 feet tall when I got it.  It has grown so fast. It is over 8 feet tall and I have already cut 5+ feet off the top.

Joe - Thanks, I think at some point I will plant the Sapodilla in the ground, not sure when or where yet.

Ed - It looks like we'll just be exchanging seeds.

dnt72800 - Thanks for the compliments

Simon - Yeah, my Hak Ip is pretty decent in size.  I say it is between 7'-8' feet and doing really well. Hopefully I will get fruit from it and my Sweetheart next year, and hopefully get to try some Longans from my Biew Kiew this year as well as the Wampee.

Mango Perrito - Thanks Again my friend.

Jacob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 02:49:01 AM »
Fruitlovers it is a mess with KP naming so they are all just called Bowens and fairly randomly peach mango and bowen special.They are seedling grown so much even in plantations that there there is ongoing selection of good ones all over the place from Sydney to Darwin.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 03:01:49 AM »
Fruitlovers it is a mess with KP naming so they are all just called Bowens and fairly randomly peach mango and bowen special.They are seedling grown so much even in plantations that there there is ongoing selection of good ones all over the place from Sydney to Darwin.

If they're not named i don't see how you can differentiate the different KP's ore even call them a class of cultivars?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 04:26:10 AM »

Just out of interest Carica monoica fruits at a tiny size.
Fruitlovers I would not say 'class of cultivars', more class of mangoes or number of lineages.You can see differences within seed grown cultivars that are very old even when 'forms' within don't get a new cultivar name.Colour,shape and size varies in KP even though most other cultivars may vary less except due to environmental factors.It does raise an issue,should seedlings of annonas,jacks and many other fruit retain their variety name?   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 06:32:31 AM »

Just out of interest Carica monoica fruits at a tiny size.
Fruitlovers I would not say 'class of cultivars', more class of mangoes or number of lineages.You can see differences within seed grown cultivars that are very old even when 'forms' within don't get a new cultivar name.Colour,shape and size varies in KP even though most other cultivars may vary less except due to environmental factors.It does raise an issue,should seedlings of annonas,jacks and many other fruit retain their variety name?

No, jacks and annonas raised from seed should not keep their varietal name because they are not true from seed. It's ok to says seedling of, for example seedling of Black Gold, so you know what the parentage is. I suppose you can get away with naming seedling KP's as KP as the seeds are polyembronic. However, in case of KP, if you have several lineages, or land races, but you don't name them then it's impossible to keep track of what is what, and to make further improvements.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »
There is no rest for my two krasuey sapodillas.Huge harvests in rapid succession just won't slow it down and it is going in hard immediately.If only my sawo and prolific would follow suit.Sapodilla enthusiasts after a few inspections responded with 'your kidding' and 'bullship' to their productivity.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 07:47:48 AM »

Picture inserted again.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »

At the risk of harping, the bunching habit of krausey sapodilla makes crops very large.