Author Topic: Rollinias fast growers?  (Read 7293 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Rollinias fast growers?
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »
My Rollinias are growing fast and branching nicely. Roger Meyer told me that his grow like weeds. Jacob is the only other person I know that is growing them ....anybody in Socal growing these?

all the branches are new growth from a few weeks. I prune them when I received them from Hawaii in March.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Rollinias fast growers?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:33:49 PM »
When they are happy, growth can be fast...I hear they can get about 12ft tall in 3yrs with good conditions.

Not enough water or fertilizer, and you will have stunted slow growth.

I've kept my 25 gal tree, around for about 5 yrs...and its quite stunted as a result of being in a pot, and not getting enough warmth and food.

It doesn't seem to mind...and I have one fruit set...the fruit is taking forever to grow!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »
When they are happy, growth can be fast...I hear they can get about 12ft tall in 3yrs with good conditions.

Not enough water or fertilizer, and you will have stunted slow growth.

I've kept my 25 gal tree, around for about 5 yrs...and its quite stunted as a result of being in a pot, and not getting enough warmth and food.

It doesn't seem to mind...and I have one fruit set...the fruit is taking forever to grow!

Thanks for the advice Adam I will pot them up to a 7G in Nov.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »
They are a super fast grower. I've had at least 12ft in first year in ground (second from seed). If you prune it back the following spring it slows down a little after that.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
They are a super fast grower. I've had at least 12ft in first year in ground (second from seed). If you prune it back the following spring it slows down a little after that.

Wow that's fast! If I was U i'd have about 5 rollinia trees for personal consumption!

Do you have a few planted out?

Also wondering if your icon is Annonidium mannii? I've always wanted to try to grow, or eat one! have u seen a plant or tasted this?

Thanks!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »
Rollinia grow very fast here as well.I doubt anyone in this country has the african jungle sop it deserves to be here.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
Your Rollinia deliciosa (mucosa) appear to be in pots that are already of 5-7 gal size.  When you pot them up again, I'd suggest you go to at least 15 gal.  as Adam says, always plenty of water, warm, and fertilizer.  Preferably full sun.  They'll survive in shade, fruitless.
Har

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »

Wow that's fast! If I was U i'd have about 5 rollinia trees for personal consumption!

Do you have a few planted out?

Also wondering if your icon is Annonidium mannii? I've always wanted to try to grow, or eat one! have u seen a plant or tasted this?

Thanks!

With growth rates like that i can only afford to have one on my block! They completely dwarf everything else put in at the same time except the panama berry. I have a few in at my dads place though, on the other side of town.
My avatar is not junglesop. Its just a good old araucaria bidwillii - not really a 'fruit', but certainly among my fav tree crops. My diet is based on it in feb each year.
mike, i am pretty sure junglesop is in FNQ. Its in ICON as a permitted species for import, which usually means its already here, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:50:07 PM by BMc »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:39:02 AM »
Your Rollinia deliciosa (mucosa) appear to be in pots that are already of 5-7 gal size.  When you pot them up again, I'd suggest you go to at least 15 gal.  as Adam says, always plenty of water, warm, and fertilizer.  Preferably full sun.  They'll survive in shade, fruitless.

thanks Guanabanus and Adam

Yeap, they are in 5 and 7 gallons. I will take your advice and pot them up slowly and give them plenty of fertilizer and water. They get plenty of sun but I'll put them in full sun for the spring and summer.

JF

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:18 AM »
Biriba (Rollinia deliciosa) will start to fruit here  in 2-3 years from seeds if regularly fertilized. In California, due to colder winters and shorter days, you are probably looking at minimum 4-5 years if well fertilized.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
BMc there are heaps of trees on icon that are not here.

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
Hey Joe,

Wow, your Rollinias look great.  They are super fast growers aren't they.  Mine grow so fast its incredible.  Here are some pictures of the 2 that I have.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
My seedling is about 3 years in the ground and is about 12 feet tall and almost as wide.  It flowered last year and I tried hand pollination with atemoya pollen.  Fruit set, but they aborted when they were about the size of a small grape.  This year I have many more flowers and many small fruits setting without hand pollination.  I'll post a couple of pics later today if I get the chance. Hope to enjoy my first crop this year.
Harry
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:58:19 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
I have 2 in containers, 1 is tall and lanky, so last week I just prune off the top branch tip. They seem to like a saucer under the pots, keeping the soil wet at all times. I'm nervous about them being under the full, hot sun and dry air here in central valley CA, so they're currently under part shade.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
I have 2 in containers, 1 is tall and lanky, so last week I just prune off the top branch tip. They seem to like a saucer under the pots, keeping the soil wet at all times. I'm nervous about them being under the full, hot sun and dry air here in central valley CA, so they're currently under part shade.

Definitely don't like low humidity. Good way to toast them to death. With high humidity (80%+) they can also take quite a lot of heat, 95-100F no problem
Oscar

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
Hey Joe,

Wow, your Rollinias look great.  They are super fast growers aren't they.  Mine grow so fast its incredible.  Here are some pictures of the 2 that I have.

Jacob,

I want to thank you again for your source in Hawaii. Wow, your tree is huge! I am really surprise how quickly this tree grows. Roger Meyer mention it on my last visit to his house. I have not fertilize I will wait to the end of the month but I water it every day as it's getting pretty warm around here. 

JF

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »
Great looking trees ,, i wish my seedlings grow that much soon ,,

Amr

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »

Definitely don't like low humidity. Good way to toast them to death. With high humidity (80%+) they can also take quite a lot of heat, 95-100F no problem

Oscar, that's good to know. I don't know for sure the humidity level inside my GH, but there's water droplets all over the walls due to condensation, so it must be good.  :) Temps at night, when I have my grow light on, is in the 90s F. Soon I'm gonna bring the GH outside, no more grow light, but under part sun/shade, so I'm sure the temps will not be on the 90s. Hopefully the humidity can stay high.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:41:59 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »
I had two of them planted; both died. They have since been replaced by sapodilla trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk