Author Topic: lycheeeeeeeeeeeeeeees have hit town  (Read 12725 times)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Re: lycheeeeeeeeeeeeeeees have hit town
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »
"Don't need freezing to induce flowering"

I agree. But, they do need some kind of shock.  Either winter drought, or fertilizer, or something.  I believe in tropical Thailand they do something to stress the tree into flowering. 

My observations on my Mauritius is that it responds to temps below 32F by flowering.   I'm sure that temp shocks the tree enough into flowering. 

My tree has gone down to 28F with water freezing under it and has not shown any damage from cold.  However, it is a large tree and I always want it to get nipped back so I don't have to trim it. I'll take photos of it this weekend and show how tall it is.   

I also have the sweetheart, hak ip, emperor, sweet cliff, and brewster variety.   I've tried kaimana but it croaked in the cold.  It was a small tree and had no protection.

The Mauritius has been my best tree and also the oldest and in full sun.  The others are in shade, so thus, less fruit. Which is okay. Eventually something will take out the canopy above it and then it can take over.   LOL...I'm guilty of over planting...

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »
Just bought 4lbs at my local Asian market. Ate some on the way home. Yum!

-Luke

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 02:17:25 PM »

-Luke

You sure know how to rub it in >:( ... :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »
well lychee season has been going here for 2 days so far. have purchased 20 pounds so far and have about 2 pounds left. i ate about 10-12 of the 17 pounds so far. buying another 10 pounds on the way home from work today- unless they have mauritius in which case i may buy 20!

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 09:04:31 PM »
Here is my Mauritius I've been talking about. I'm in the process of knocking it back down to manageable levels. This tree has produced big-time for me that past two years with our super-cold winters.  This year...just a few fruit.   This one fruit happened to be on a limb I cut back. It was premature but tasting good anyways... The tree is apparently hiding some fruit I didn't see until after I started pruning it.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 02:29:03 AM »
"Don't need freezing to induce flowering"

I agree. But, they do need some kind of shock.  Either winter drought, or fertilizer, or something.  I believe in tropical Thailand they do something to stress the tree into flowering. 

My observations on my Mauritius is that it responds to temps below 32F by flowering.   I'm sure that temp shocks the tree enough into flowering. 

My tree has gone down to 28F with water freezing under it and has not shown any damage from cold.  However, it is a large tree and I always want it to get nipped back so I don't have to trim it. I'll take photos of it this weekend and show how tall it is.   

I also have the sweetheart, hak ip, emperor, sweet cliff, and brewster variety.   I've tried kaimana but it croaked in the cold.  It was a small tree and had no protection.

The Mauritius has been my best tree and also the oldest and in full sun.  The others are in shade, so thus, less fruit. Which is okay. Eventually something will take out the canopy above it and then it can take over.   LOL...I'm guilty of over planting...

Fertilizing lychees will not stress them, quite the opposite. It will induce new foliage flushes which will be counterproductive for fruiting. The something that is done in Thailand that you refer to to induce flowering is probably girdling, also called cincturing. This isn't done only in Thailand, it's done in a lot of tropical locations to help induce stress so that the trees will flower and fruit.
Oscar

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
Wow...that's a HUGE Tree...How old is it?

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »
Thanks!  It was planted around 1997'ish.   It has been a great supplier for fruit for me.  Its gotten too big now though. I initially planted it in this spot knowing that 1) a tropical storm or freeze would take it out, and/or 2) I would have to cut it back.   

When a tree gets this big it is difficult to harvest the fruit and also birds have easier access to it.  So, down it comes. Hopefully I get fruit off it next year. 

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:55 AM »

-Luke

You sure know how to rub it in >:( ... :)

Hehe sorry  ;D
I was shocked to see them here this early in little ol Colorado. But they sure are tasty!

-Luke

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »
well lychee season has been going here for 2 days so far. have purchased 20 pounds so far and have about 2 pounds left. i ate about 10-12 of the 17 pounds so far. buying another 10 pounds on the way home from work today- unless they have mauritius in which case i may buy 20!

LOL......what I wonder is how your finger nails and cuticles last through lychee season.  Or are you a biter?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »
definitly a biter Harry. That first burst of juice that comes dancing out of the lychee as you bite into it is the best part!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk