Author Topic: Broward RFVC Tree sale photos 5/19  (Read 5787 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Broward RFVC Tree sale photos 5/19
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Today was day one of the Broward Rare Fruit Council sale. We own our own 2.5 acre nursery with a classroom/kitchen area, full bathroom, shadehouses and it is totally fenced.

We had a nice turnout despite a threatening weather forecast.  They had an awesome selection of fruit trees including 50 types of Mangos, 10 types of Sapodilla, Langsat, Sugar apples, Mangosteen, Mamey, Guanabana and many others at very good prices...I met several Forum members there....thanks for coming!
FGM

Lychees

Wax Jambu

Extra Rare fruit tree Hut including Mangosteens, Langsats and Breadfruit 

3 ft+ Mangosteen for $65 (beautiful tree)

Akee and others

Langsat display

Acai palms & others

FloridaGreenMan

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: Broward RFVC Tree sale photos 5/19
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »
great pics Noel:
where are the mangosteen plants from? are they grafted or seedlings. is it still possible to buy one

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »
Yeah that Mangosteen is a good deal for that size a tree.  looks like a great event wish i was in Fla.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
Not sure where the Mangosteen was from but it sure was gorgeous! Well worth the money! It was seedling. When it comes to Mangoteens, grafted trees are not better than a good seedling.           
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 10:53:01 PM »
I would guess those mangosteens are from Hawaii. There was a nursery here selling those trees for $25, so they could be shipped to FL. and a profit made.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:39:48 PM »
Mangosteen seedlings from some lines fruit a bit earlier and mine took 5 years.Old grafting attempts had a few problems with weakness,lack of vigour and adventitious rootstock shooting.I have seen small grafted fruiting mangosteens in thailand without these problems.Growers here have been grafting with success but some scions work great and other don't.I have growers coming this afternoon to clip my big leafed tree.They tried scion material off a couple of mine and they worked great but off some other stock including small leafed trees the results were poor.

In the picture is a small 3 yr old.

My lanky 4 year old small leafed tree has been neglected and might be getting the chop.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
Mangosteen has a whole lot of variation even within the same line, so you will get a very small percentage that will fruit in 5 years, a small amount that will fruit at 6-7, a vast majority fruiting at 8, and some that can take a whole lot longer, as in 10+ years. This all in same soil, same conditions, same climate. This was reported to me by a farmer in OZ who planted over 1000 mangosteen trees. I've seen similar occurence happening in that 40 trees i planted.
BTW, it looks like you don't have the mangosteen caterpillar (yet). Nasty bugger introduced from Thailand. Goes mostly after mangosteen and G. hombroiana, but will also attack other Garcinias and Rheedias. Chews off all the new growth and flowers. You never ever see them. They must come out at 2-3 AM when deep in snooze land. Then at day break all disappear. Been spraying with BT, but difficult here with rain washing it off.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
Some variation is consistent within lines such as extra large leaf size and thin fruit shell.'Seedlings' from early fruiting individuals are believed to usually fruit faster than those from slow fruiting individuals.
One species of looper gives me a hard time with mangosteen and a few other types of caterpillars and chrysomelids come and go.Luckily the birds are onto it but I had to spray once and they fell like rain.
Ws that person PedroO or Peter S., maybe Colin G? One innovative grower is doing grafted espaliered mangosteen. 

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
Noel:
Is it still possible to buy one of those Mangosteen plants?
(I feel, I am not a true forum member until I have killed at least once mangosteen tree)

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
Noel:
Is it still possible to buy one of those Mangosteen plants?
(I feel, I am not a true forum member until I have killed at least once mangosteen tree)

They do not ship plants so if there was one left over I am not sure how you would get it.
FloridaGreenMan

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
im coming to florida in July, so maybe I could pay them for it now so that they could hold it for me until I come in July?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk