Author Topic: Diversity or Diversity  (Read 18776 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Diversity or Diversity
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
I think finding a middle ground is the best approach -- enough diversity to withstand bad crop years and/or a major disease introduction, but enough specialization (cultivars) to stave off boredom of a single species.

Even assuming the worst case scenario of a bug wiping out every single mango that we have planted -- for the short term we'd still have lychee, sapodilla, canistel, carambola, avocado, jackfruit, etc to fill the void. Within 3 to 4 years a replacement crop would be up and producing.

The more normal scenario is that a portion of the affected species shows itself to be more resistant to the new disease than the rest. Having enough cultivars planted out better ensures the ability to find a handful that show resistance. Even with HLB and canker, I still see plenty of healthy and productive tangerine trees in this area. And the industry is already developing practices to circumvent / mitigate the disease.

If one has enough land to plant out all of the novel / conversation piece fruits, then that's swell :-). But for the mere mortals who have 1/2 acre or less, a dozen or so favored species with plenty of specialization within each is a good middle ground.

I think a lot of it also has to do with whether you like to try and experiment with new fruit tastes. Some are very picky and don't like to try anything new. They are satisfied with one fruit, for example mango, and want to have only mango in their yard, 100 types of mangoes. Everything else is considered a "minor" fruit, or too mushy, or too squashy, or too acid, or too something or other. Personally i like a lot of different fruit tastes. Also one of my favorite experiences is trying a fruit i've never tried before. So i'm more the 1 or 2 of each kind of fruit kinda guy. I think as far as nature is concerned lots of diversity tends to be favored for survival. What happens to the person that only likes to grow citrus and then HLB comes around? Same could happen with mango.
Jeff  :-)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »
I love diversity but if I try the fruit and its so so I'm done with......actually I like to see fruits grow more than eating them

I love eating fruit but there is a please watching them grow. The first time my jak fruit tree fruit I would go every day to look at the fruit. Btw I love jaks but I dont know what you guys do with 20-30 jak fruit trees (there someone on the forum who name escapes me that I know has like 30 trees) my one fruiting jak tree gives me fruit for half the year and I can't come close to eating it all. Idk what I am gonna do what my other 6 trees start fruiting.

I have a wampee and white sapote fruiting for the first time this year, I check them all the time just to watch the fruit grow
- David Antonio Garcia

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
I love diversity but if I try the fruit and its so so I'm done with......actually I like to see fruits grow more than eating them

I love eating fruit but there is a please watching them grow. The first time my jak fruit tree fruit I would go every day to look at the fruit. Btw I love jaks but I dont know what you guys do with 20-30 jak fruit trees (there someone on the forum who name escapes me that I know has like 30 trees) my one fruiting jak tree gives me fruit for half the year and I can't come close to eating it all. Idk what I am gonna do what my other 6 trees start fruiting.

I have a wampee and white sapote fruiting for the first time this year, I check them all the time just to watch the fruit grow
I love just looking at my trees or watching them grow persay
Sometimes an hour can go by without me even realising and all iv been doing is looking at my plants another new buds how much they have grown etc:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
I'm vegetarian/frutarian.  This was what led me to purchase property and source what I eat.  It was an all in bet on eating healthy the rest of my life.  What is important for me is having something available year round.  Most important is to grow what you love to eat (and share).  It seems like a very individual endeavor where one size will not fit all.

I would think for a vegetarian and even more importantly a fruitarian(and If you dont class legumes as a fruit then you will have a hard time staying healthy as a fruitarian!)
much more important than eating what you love. Would be sourcing an appropriate level of macro nutrients. A complete protein source with all essential amino acids would be hard to get from a fruit only diet.(classic not scientific definition of fruit)
While being vegetarian is a choice that can often be healthier than conventional western diet it is work to keep it healthy and in balance. There was a case here of parents raising children vegan and the kids got really really sick and almost died.

Some people think by definition meat is unhealthy but I eat wild venison and ostrich meat its very healthy protein source. I have been chastised by vegetarian family members for my unhealthy meat eating lifestyle though lol many vegetarians protein intake is very low, fruitarian I think the sugar would be way too much!
Its very possible to be extremely healthy and vegetarian but it takes alot of research and planning much more than being omnivorous. Vegetarian sportsmen or laborers would have to be even more careful.
Its all about balance as much as I love fruit I dont think just fruit can provide that balance, add certain leaves and veg in there and its definitely possible:)

On the topic Im definitly in the many species as possible camp my tastes adapt and change I want ultimate variety not to mention the addictive collector mindset of owning as many species in a genus as possible he he like having a complete set of something.

This is a subject that is widely debated all over the internet and I'm not going to use this forum (or this thread) to debate the subject.  I can only say do what works for you.  This works for me, I haven't been sick or to the doctor in 6 years since adopting the lifestyle.  There are right ways and wrong ways to eat this way (again widely debated as to what is right or wrong) and my knowledge had success has greatly evolved over the last 6 years. 

Myself and gorillas (who eat only leaves and fruit) would disagree with you on the amino acid and protein argument.

He's giving you the basic meat eater line that you're not going to get enough protein if you're a vegetarian. Oh brother! But that's been proven wrong a very long time ago, like millenia. Actually it's also been proven that most meat eater get too much excess protein, and that is also not healthy...but he didn't mention that. Once the protein myth was busted then meat eaters started saying you're not going to get enough B12 if you're a vegetarian. Once that was also proven wrong then meat eaters start telling you that you can't do sports if you're a vegetarian. Another myth proven wrong by so many olympic athletes. Also i note he argues against pure fruitarianism when you said you eat vegetables. Honestly i don't know anybody that is really purely fruitarian. Even the ones that claim to be so are also eating some vegetables, nuts, and grains. Yes it takes some re-education initially to become vegetarian, but once you do so you will generally eat a lot healthier than meat eaters....who mostly tend to eat without any thought at all, whatever is presented on their restaurant menu. Go to any restaurant and you will see how unwisely most meat eaters eat.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »
David , you forgot to mention the totally nuts fanatics who wanna grow it all ( like me ) , unfortunately it doesn't work....believe I tried .....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
I was very diverse when I started 3-4 years ago.  Collecting odd ball things. I still have a few, but slowly they are being replaced by more monetary focused trees. I cannot see generating much income from say 1 ice cream bean tree or 1 tamarind tree, unless I was selling seeds or pods for a buck a piece.

I have more of a focus now. Reserving certain fields for citrus, misc, mangos, avos. Bananas starting everywhere in between.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »
Same here. The growing stage is lots more interesting than eating. Mangoes are fascinating as they Bloom and increase (size)   Apples and cherries must be the same but I don't live up there.

TRANSLATION:  Guys go out and Plant fruit trees now!

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:25:23 PM by zands »

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2015, 09:27:14 PM »
Yes, I have 30 jackfruit trees in the ground and I have another 9 jackfruit trees in pots that will be planted soon.  27 varieties and 12 seedlings. What will I do with them all? First, eat all the fruit I can, second try and sell all the fruit I can't eat, third propagate them (assuming I can ever learn to graft jackfruit with any measure of success).   The other reason I planted so many jaks is because no one could tell me where I could buy fruit of the trees available for sale at nurseries.  Wherever I bought fruit and asked the variety, the answer was almost always seedling. Even at Excalibur, I never got a straight answer as to the varieties of fruit for sale.  In another 2-3 years I hope to have fruit from named varieties, labeled, available for sale. I have never seen mangos for sale without varieties labeled, at least not anywhere asking a premium. I am not sure why this is an excepted practice with jackfruit, with such a high cost per fruit.   Ok, rant over.

I like variety in all things. I have 24 varieties of mango.  I get bored eating the same variety of mango over and over.  I want to eat one of each variety and then start the cycle over again until I bleed orange.  In between the mangos, I will want jackfruit and longans and lyches and mameys and sugar-apples and anything else I can get my hands on.

Lychees and Bananas are the only duplicates I have in the ground currently.

I enjoy all aspects from propagating to planting to growing to eating.

Brandon

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 11:57:10 PM »
I prefer diversity of rare plants. I want the best of the best though, so if I want mango, then it needs to be the best from Florida, the best from Asia, etc. I prefer having many different kinds of trees than varieties.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2015, 04:39:08 AM »
I'm vegetarian/frutarian.  This was what led me to purchase property and source what I eat.  It was an all in bet on eating healthy the rest of my life.  What is important for me is having something available year round.  Most important is to grow what you love to eat (and share).  It seems like a very individual endeavor where one size will not fit all.

I would think for a vegetarian and even more importantly a fruitarian(and If you dont class legumes as a fruit then you will have a hard time staying healthy as a fruitarian!)
much more important than eating what you love. Would be sourcing an appropriate level of macro nutrients. A complete protein source with all essential amino acids would be hard to get from a fruit only diet.(classic not scientific definition of fruit)
While being vegetarian is a choice that can often be healthier than conventional western diet it is work to keep it healthy and in balance. There was a case here of parents raising children vegan and the kids got really really sick and almost died.

Some people think by definition meat is unhealthy but I eat wild venison and ostrich meat its very healthy protein source. I have been chastised by vegetarian family members for my unhealthy meat eating lifestyle though lol many vegetarians protein intake is very low, fruitarian I think the sugar would be way too much!
Its very possible to be extremely healthy and vegetarian but it takes alot of research and planning much more than being omnivorous. Vegetarian sportsmen or laborers would have to be even more careful.
Its all about balance as much as I love fruit I dont think just fruit can provide that balance, add certain leaves and veg in there and its definitely possible:)

On the topic Im definitly in the many species as possible camp my tastes adapt and change I want ultimate variety not to mention the addictive collector mindset of owning as many species in a genus as possible he he like having a complete set of something.

This is a subject that is widely debated all over the internet and I'm not going to use this forum (or this thread) to debate the subject.  I can only say do what works for you.  This works for me, I haven't been sick or to the doctor in 6 years since adopting the lifestyle.  There are right ways and wrong ways to eat this way (again widely debated as to what is right or wrong) and my knowledge had success has greatly evolved over the last 6 years. 

Myself and gorillas (who eat only leaves and fruit) would disagree with you on the amino acid and protein argument.

He's giving you the basic meat eater line that you're not going to get enough protein if you're a vegetarian. Oh brother! But that's been proven wrong a very long time ago, like millenia. Actually it's also been proven that most meat eater get too much excess protein, and that is also not healthy...but he didn't mention that. Once the protein myth was busted then meat eaters started saying you're not going to get enough B12 if you're a vegetarian. Once that was also proven wrong then meat eaters start telling you that you can't do sports if you're a vegetarian. Another myth proven wrong by so many olympic athletes. Also i note he argues against pure fruitarianism when you said you eat vegetables. Honestly i don't know anybody that is really purely fruitarian. Even the ones that claim to be so are also eating some vegetables, nuts, and grains. Yes it takes some re-education initially to become vegetarian, but once you do so you will generally eat a lot healthier than meat eaters....who mostly tend to eat without any thought at all, whatever is presented on their restaurant menu. Go to any restaurant and you will see how unwisely most meat eaters eat.
If you dont want to read through my post rather don't comment on it at all:)
I CLEARLY said it very possible to get enough protein as a vegetarian, also that it's very feasible to be extremly healthy just that it requires knowledge. I also clearly said that vegetarians would often be eating healthier than the typical western diet.

Your defensive knee jerk, absolutest response is baffling and all I was saying is that both omnivorous and vegetarian people with knowledge can be just as healthy as eachother.
Vegetarian athletes can and do use concentrated pea or milled hemp protein amoung others but to be successful at gaining pounds of muscle it is an absolute fact you need more complete protein in your diet. Please ask.any body builder.(again incase you missed it this protein can be sourced from plants and often is, hell i use hemp protein and it excellent !)
But what ever, failure to be balanced and to be completely  biased towards ones own thinking absolutely is a natural thing. It causes people to not even  read entire posts before they comment obviously.
I hunt and butcher 90% of the meat I eat hormone and cholesterol free I refuse to believe I am less"healthy" simply by virtue of the fact that I eat fresh organic meat that is in no way proven and there is no study showing that. Ethically well that's another argument altogether. But both those who eat meat and those who don't can both be extremly healthy all I said is protein is important not that not enough can be found.
Children almost died here from from lack of knowledge and Kwashiorkor.
You use "meat eater" as a pejorative well i eat many things besides meat and there's no such thing as a person who only eats meat, such a pejorative is silly and infact rather childish.
People self identify as fruitarians if they ate not so they should use a different term. I also said that maybe legumes are classed as fruit and then i can understand how it's possible.
Let's just leave it there shall we I have no room for such absolutist defensiveness that fails to even take what I have actually said into account. ::)

Back to topic...
I would be interested for people to say how many different species or if you are in the other camp varieties you grow:)
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 05:14:00 AM »
I prefer diversity of rare plants. I want the best of the best though, so if I want mango, then it needs to be the best from Florida, the best from Asia, etc. I prefer having many different kinds of trees than varieties.
Being relegated to seeds myself I suppose precludes me more and more species since I can't get varieties but I do try get different sources of seeds for the same species:)
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 05:56:42 AM »

If you dont want to read through my post rather don't comment on it at all:)
I CLEARLY said it very possible to get enough protein as a vegetarian, also that it's very feasible to be extremly healthy just that it requires knowledge. I also clearly said that vegetarians would often be eating healthier than the typical western diet.

Your defensive knee jerk, absolutest response is baffling and all I was saying is that both omnivorous and vegetarian people with knowledge can be just as healthy as eachother.
Vegetarian athletes can and do use concentrated pea or milled hemp protein amoung others but to be successful at gaining pounds of muscle it is an absolute fact you need more complete protein in your diet. Please ask.any body builder.(again incase you missed it this protein can be sourced from plants and often is, hell i use hemp protein and it excellent !)
But what ever, failure to be balanced and to be completely  biased towards ones own thinking absolutely is a natural thing. It causes people to not even  read entire posts before they comment obviously.
I hunt and butcher 90% of the meat I eat hormone and cholesterol free I refuse to believe I am less"healthy" simply by virtue of the fact that I eat fresh organic meat that is in no way proven and there is no study showing that. Ethically well that's another argument altogether. But both those who eat meat and those who don't can both be extremly healthy all I said is protein is important not that not enough can be found.
Children almost died here from from lack of knowledge and Kwashiorkor.
You use "meat eater" as a pejorative well i eat many things besides meat and there's no such thing as a person who only eats meat, such a pejorative is silly and infact rather childish.
People self identify as fruitarians if they ate not so they should use a different term. I also said that maybe legumes are classed as fruit and then i can understand how it's possible.
Let's just leave it there shall we I have no room for such absolutist defensiveness that fails to even take what I have actually said into account. ::)

Back to topic...
I would be interested for people to say how many different species or if you are in the other camp varieties you grow:)

I read your post very carefully. Sorry but you have only very thinly veiled over prejudices against vegetarians and/or fruitarians. You're kind of like people that say: "some of my best friends are X". Not hard to read between your lines at all.
Oscar

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »
There was an article in a magazine (I believe it was Forbes) about a company that is experimenting with creating complex protein strings with plant material.

Company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Meat

Ah,... found the article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rahimkanani/2014/03/06/the-future-of-meat-is-meatless-just-as-tasty-and-about-to-change-the-world/

The article was a good read.  Surprisingly to me was how much energy it takes to raise beef vs. chicken vs pork.  I would give this product a try, at least once.

Edit:
Hmm..now that I re-read the article, its not the full article from the magazine. The article talks about removing the animal whose main function is to turn plant matter into protein strings. They found a way of using temperature, pressure and some other secret to simulate that process. It was a fairly good read.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:15:16 PM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »
LOL I don't have the luxury to specialize considering the small space have. Actually, I just hope all my newly acquired trees survive and fruit, that's it. Avocado / orange were inherited and we happen to like them. We chose the rest of the trees because 1) love the taste and / or 2) fruits not easy to find in supermarkets because they are difficult to transport / store (loquat anyone?)
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »
just have a yard in the back that is terraced and is full of clay.  if I can just get something to survive and thrive enough to fruit while shading out the weeds, I'm pretty happy.  though I can tell I'm a closet specialist, the limited space allows me only to get different species of fruit plants and vegetables so I can get a little bit this and that.  but if I had a few acres, oh boy...  it'd be all about mangoes and jackfruit!  :)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »
There was an article in a magazine (I believe it was Forbes) about a company that is experimenting with creating complex protein strings with plant material.

Company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Meat

Ah,... found the article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rahimkanani/2014/03/06/the-future-of-meat-is-meatless-just-as-tasty-and-about-to-change-the-world/

The article was a good read.  Surprisingly to me was how much energy it takes to raise beef vs. chicken vs pork.  I would give this product a try, at least once.
Very interesting!
Iv also tried myco protein it's made from fungus and it's really really good tasting I wonder how this would taste.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
I'm michsu and I'm addicted to tropical fruits.. that's all I have to say, or any of you guys too.  ;D

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 02:09:55 AM »
We're omnivores, but usually limit our meat/fish consumption to about 4-6 ounces per day.

We have a teenage granddaughter who has gone vegetarian. The whole family is tolerant and respectful of her choice. But it's worrisome because she's becoming ever more focused on carbs/ sugars and her health is suffering. Quite a dilemma for her parents.

Our gardening/ landscaping goals are shade, privacy, appearance, low maintenance, fresh air, exercise, reducing expenses for food, increasing self-reliance and emergency preparedness. We love fruit, BUT there's no way our health could tolerate all the sugar coming from our fruit trees.

Ideally, our selection of what to grow ought to aim for healthy nutrition (both fruits and vegetables), harvest spread out over 12 months, long season staples we eat a lot of, some short season 'treats', and cultivars selected for best taste, disease/insect resistance, ease of growing, extended picking season, and ease of harvesting.

We hope to grow more than we can eat ourselves and share the excess with friends, family, neighbors, and elderly folks who no longer have gardens or access to home grown fruits.

If local codes permitted we would opt to raise some rabbits, ducks, and/or chickens for protein. But that's a no go for the present.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 06:22:12 AM »
We're omnivores, but usually limit our meat/fish consumption to about 4-6 ounces per day.

We have a teenage granddaughter who has gone vegetarian. The whole family is tolerant and respectful of her choice. But it's worrisome because she's becoming ever more focused on carbs/ sugars and her health is suffering. Quite a dilemma for her parents.

Our gardening/ landscaping goals are shade, privacy, appearance, low maintenance, fresh air, exercise, reducing expenses for food, increasing self-reliance and emergency preparedness. We love fruit, BUT there's no way our health could tolerate all the sugar coming from our fruit trees.

Ideally, our selection of what to grow ought to aim for healthy nutrition (both fruits and vegetables), harvest spread out over 12 months, long season staples we eat a lot of, some short season 'treats', and cultivars selected for best taste, disease/insect resistance, ease of growing, extended picking season, and ease of harvesting.

We hope to grow more than we can eat ourselves and share the excess with friends, family, neighbors, and elderly folks who no longer have gardens or access to home grown fruits.

If local codes permitted we would opt to raise some rabbits, ducks, and/or chickens for protein. But that's a no go for the present.

They dont even let you have one little hen for eggs!??? 3 hens make more eggs than I could ever use and the straw in their pen makes awesome compost! They are quiet and dont smell if the pen is large and you change the straw.

I would consider raising rabits just for their brown gold! I wouldnt ever eat my bunnies but their crap is top notch stuff doesnt even really need composting and my roses flower like mad! My cousins have a few guini pigs as pets inside they are very affectionate and jump up and down in excitement when they see you their dung is every bit as good.

There are plenty of choices for your grandaughter to fit in more fat and protein! Moringa is a good choice and cooked is Superior to spinach in taste IMO. Hemp has alot of oil and the protein content is extremely high for a plant(and complete with all essential amino acids). Dont worry it has absolutely no illegal or psychoactive component. The unmilled seeds I just chow on with abit of salt like nuts but the husk some people dont like.
Good old fashioned peanut butter will also get the protein and fat up!
I mentioned abov myco protein tastes really good but may be pricey
Quinoa,chia legumes will all balance the diet out. Avos are not bad for protein as fruits go and nice fat content.

There are some really good vegan protein shakes out there but concentrated pea protein gave me gippo guts every single time.
To me hemp protein is king of the powders and doesnt even need to be concentrated at all. Hulled hemp is 33% protein!!!

Iv tried spirolina powder for extra protein and phytonutrients but it turned my hands orange!!(Im pretty protein obsessed actually to tell the truth)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:39:50 AM by stuartdaly88 »
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 06:40:30 AM »

Not all fruits are just sugar. Two very good examples are avocado and coconuts.
I don't think you should be tolerant of vegetarian choice. I think you should be supportive of it. Most studies show that long term vegetarians live longer and are healthier than meat eaters. You just need to get some good information for her to re-adjust her diet correctly. Just eating carbs and sugars, you are right, is not very healthy.
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 06:40:58 AM »
X
Double posting
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 06:48:41 AM »

They dont even let you have one little hen for eggs!??? 3 hens make more eggs than I could ever use and the straw in their pen makes awesome compost! They are quiet and dont smell if the pen is large and you change the straw.

I would consider raising rabits just for their brown gold! I wouldnt ever eat my bunnies but their crap is top notch stuff doesnt even really need composting and my roses flower like mad! My cousins have a few guini pigs as pets inside they are very affectionate and jump up and down in excitement when they see you their dung is every bit as good.

There are plenty of choices for your grandaughter to fit in more fat and protein! Moringa is a good choice and cooked is Superior to spinach in taste IMO. Hemp has alot of oil and the protein content is extremely high for a plant(and complete with all essential amino acids). Dont worry it has absolutely no illegal or psychoactive component. The unmilled seeds I just chow on with abit of salt like nuts but the husk some people dont like.
Quinoa,chia legumes will all balance the diet out. Avos are not bad for protein as fruits go and nice fat content.

There are some really good vegan protein shakes out there but concentrated pea protein gave me gippo guts every single time.
To me hemp protein is king of the powders and doesnt even need to be concentrated at all. Hulled hemp is 33% protein!!!

Iv tried spirolina powder for extra protein and phytonutrients but it turned my hands orange!!(Im pretty protein obsessed actually to tell the truth)

My guess is you are over dosing on protein. A lot of people do. Eating too much protein can cause a LOT of health problems. Google it.
Oscar

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2015, 06:54:25 AM »
I am definitely all about diversity.

I enjoy having 1 to 3 of the top varieties of each type of fruit I can (and sometimes cannot) grow here.

I'm not sure where I find the time to tend to it all, but somehow I do.

For me, it is more about the joy of growing things naturally--but if I do, I want the best taste possible and I want something that others around me (markets/grocery/neighbors) don't have.  I just have a need to be "different."

As a result, over time, I have started culling out the more normal fruits and veges from my orchard and adding in more rare types found nowhere near here.  People stop here all the time just so they can look, and that makes it special for me.

Most importantly, I can give away the fruit or sometimes trees or tree care lessons, and teach a newcomer about the joys of growing fruit--and each time is worth every second.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2015, 07:00:13 AM »

My guess is you are over dosing on protein. A lot of people do. Eating too much protein can cause a LOT of health problems. Google it.
My father had protein poisoning when he was younger as a result of only eating egg whites(very poor as a student and eggs were cheap protein shake) so I am familiar with over consumption
When my protein consumption is high Im weight lifting 3/4 times per week.
I know a few people who have overdone the protein and its not even close to as bad as under consuming!Over doing protein can lead to dehydration, calcium imbalance and of course not getting enough other macronutriens(protein poisoning otherwise known as rabbit starvation) and possibly unhealthy weight gain Under consumption of protein can be horrible and so many deficiency diseases are associated with it they are too numerable to mention.
Many many rich active people under consume protein here it is the building block of all muscle tissue in the body and cannot be understated whether your source is meat based or plant.
Maybe its just living in Africa but for the poor here finding sustainable protein sources is the most important aspect of any food security research especially for growing children and people with wasting diseases such as AIDS protein is life giving.
Moringa has be a Godsend to children and AIDs patients in some rural communities.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:13:43 AM by stuartdaly88 »
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2015, 07:25:46 AM »

My father had protein poisoning when he was younger as a result of only eating egg whites(very poor as a student and eggs were cheap protein shake) so I am familiar with over consumption
When my protein consumption is high Im weight lifting 3/4 times per week.
I know a few people who have overdone the protein and its not even close to as bad as under consuming!Over doing protein can lead to dehydration, calcium imbalance and of course not getting enough other macronutriens(protein poisoning otherwise known as rabbit starvation) and possibly unhealthy weight gain Under consumption of protein can be horrible and so many deficiency diseases are associated with it they are too numerable to mention.
Many many rich active people under consume protein here it is the building block of all muscle tissue in the body and cannot be understated whether your source is meat based or plant.
Maybe its just living in Africa but for the poor here finding sustainable protein sources is the most important aspect of any food security research especially for growing children and people with wasting diseases such as AIDS protein is life giving.
Moringa has be a Godsend to children and AIDs patients in some rural communities.

In many industrialized countries over consumption of protein seems to be the norm, and it causes a whole range of health problems. In poor countries it is possible to get enough protein without hemp, myco proteins, spirulina, or any new fancy concoction. Hindu culture has been doing it for thousands of years. The Hindus do consume small amounts of dairy as in ghee and curd, but it's a very small part of their diet. Most protein comes from legumes. I'm guessing probably common Hindu Indian farmer is burning more calories and has more muscles than you do.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk