Author Topic: Questions on caimito...  (Read 17332 times)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Questions on caimito...
« on: March 28, 2015, 07:04:08 PM »
This is the first year that my caimito tree fruits. I've got about 20 decent-sized fruits on there now. They are looking much larger than ones I've tried before, these are averaging about 3 inches diameter. Is this size about normal for South Florida? Also, how do I know if I've got a green or purple caimito? Or better said, are the fruits green on both and then the purple change color right before maturing? Or does the purple form start out as purple?

Jaime

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on caimito...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
Purple starts out a s green and then turns purple when ripening.  Mine is a seedling variety and purple.  It starts changing color from the bottom up. 

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:44:38 PM »
About when do they start turning purple for you in case the timing on our fruit is matched up?

What about the average diameter size of your fruit?

Thanks in advance
Jaime

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »
Some of mine have already started to turn.  They average about baseball size.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 10:41:24 PM »
Baseball size?  That is one big a$$  caimito
- Rob

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »
Photos?

One thing I noticed about Caimito, Star Apple, is that the fruits are getting smaller as the tree ages. But the taste is evolving reversely. So whenever I went to SE Asia at the right time, I always look for a merchant stand that has the smallest fruits for sales. This works wonder.
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:42:07 AM »
Photos?

One thing I noticed about Caimito, Star Apple, is that the fruits are getting smaller as the tree ages. But the taste is evolving reversely. So whenever I went to SE Asia at the right time, I always look for a merchant stand that has the smallest fruits for sales. This works wonder.

I don't think this is true. Caimito fruits don't get smaller on older trees. I think there must be some nutrient deficiency or stress on your tree causing this.
Oscar

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 12:56:03 AM »
I don't have any Star Apple tree, Oscar. It's what some growers in SE Asia told me and I verified that in my buyings of the fruits. Whenever I find a stall that sells smaller fruits than others, I always buy from that vendor and was never disappointed. The reverse always led me to the eternal question of purple and green Star Apple and which one is better.
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:09:56 AM »
I don't have any Star Apple tree, Oscar. It's what some growers in SE Asia told me and I verified that in my buyings of the fruits. Whenever I find a stall that sells smaller fruits than others, I always buy from that vendor and was never disappointed. The reverse always led me to the eternal question of purple and green Star Apple and which one is better.

Thera, i have 4 different types of very old starapple trees here and on none of them the fruits don't get any smaller as they age.
Oscar

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 01:20:13 AM »
Then I guess it has to do with the definition of "old trees", Oscar. Or other criteria such as geographical location. The people I talked to have been farming Star Apple from generation to generation, Thais and Cambodians, and they all said the same thing. I'll ask them to be more precise if I ever see them again. The elders that is, the younger generations don't really give a ding.
Thera

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Baseball size?  That is one big a$$  caimito

Yeah, they are big ones.  My tree is huge and at least 15 years old.  Big is not necessarily better, and that is exemplified in the fruit my tree produces.  They are just not that great. 

The rind is quite thick and the flavor/texture can be good but is quite variable depending  on year.  Last year and this year have been underwhelming. 

I've been threatening the tree with my chainsaw. And this year the threat may well become a promise. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:47:49 AM by Sleepdoc »

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
did you get that strain from Dominica Republic, they got Softball size green one; mine was confiscated by Aphis. 😭 Guess the Cartel running the Goverment still & everything coming to US interdict, anyway save me a few seeds from your largest fruit for a Boca Snob Jackfruit seedling!👍
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »
did you get that strain from Dominica Republic, they got Softball size green one; mine was confiscated by Aphis. 😭 Guess the Cartel running the Goverment still & everything coming to US interdict, anyway save me a few seeds from your largest fruit for a Boca Snob Jackfruit seedling!👍

Jack, my tree was planted by the previous homeowner, I have no idea of its origin.  I'll look out for some of the larger fruit for you.  I have a few high up in the canopy that are nice and purple right now..

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »
I would upload pics of my almost softball-sized fruits if I could. I used to be able to without a problem. And the moderators don't answer my PMs related to this problem, so...

Jaime

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »
Got it to work on IE...

Jaime

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
Got it to work on IE...

Jaime
Thanks for showing your green fruit. Sorry but that doesnt look like a softball that I was thinking about.  They got some Large one on Scambay.  I guess I have to check out Cuba see what strange thing on that Island for giant Caimito!😎
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 06:31:49 PM »
Got it to work on IE...

Jaime
Thanks for showing your green fruit. Sorry but that doesnt look like a softball that I was thinking about.  They got some Large one on Scambay.  I guess I have to check out Cuba see what strange thing on that Island for giant Caimito!😎

Coconut, go to Cuba if you want to meet Fidel and smoke some Havanas. But if you want giant purple starapple all you have to do is ask me. I've posted photos of my whoppers many times. So won't do it again. But you can search it inside the forum.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 07:08:39 PM »
Got it to work on IE...

Jaime

Yeah, nowhere near softball size...unkess maybe you are Andre the Giant...
- Rob

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:54 PM »
Ok, so not exactly softball-sized but I did say almost softball-sized! Certainly bigger than a baseball!

And you thought baseball size was big, go figure...

Jaime

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 08:42:34 PM »
Ok, so not exactly softball-sized but I did say almost softball-sized! Certainly bigger than a baseball!

Jaime

I would like to see it next to a baseball.
- Rob

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »
I have a purple caimito tree,they are just ok;
A few years ago Luc got from a Taiwanese farmer some green caimito with the size of a grapefruit; he spare one with me; when I tried Hooo mi Gud!!!!!! One of the very best fruits I ever try!!!  Miles away from all the purple ones I tried before; plenty of white flesh; super sweet; with cherimoya notes, firm flesh; just a dream of a fruit I plant the seed but the tree is only about 2 meters high; cant wait to try it again; with some other fruits I also notice that the white flesh ones are sweeter than the ones with the fancy color; for instance ilamas....m
El verde es vida!

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 09:29:48 PM »
searched through the forum and found this

Hot diggity dog that is a big one.  That must be a small child's hand...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 10:09:35 PM »
That's my hand, and i'm 6'2" (1.9m).
Raul, there's not a green type around that beats the taste of these giant purples i have. These purples not only taste great but interior purple flesh is beautiful.
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 10:16:04 PM »

Jaime

I would like to see it next to a baseball.

I'm sure u would... Don't have one but something tells me you wouldn't believe me even if I showed you one next to the fruit.

I'm a football guy myself! 😊

Jaime

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 10:21:03 PM »
Sorry Jaime but baseball sized starapple is normal size around here.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk