Author Topic: Coconut cream in california  (Read 16732 times)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut cream in california
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »
Champa nursery had a huge boxed one a few months ago but i think it's gone. However they had a new large shipment of mangoes and tropical recently (usually mid July). Can also try mimosa nursery but I think their selection of mangoes is limited.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2017, 10:31:05 PM »
The Large Coco Cream Champa had was one the removed from a customers home that was in the ground. The owner of Champa told me the lady did not like the fruit from the young CC tree so she wanted it removed. It was on Turpentine rootstock. Based on my own two-year experiment I would avoid turpentine root stock mango trees in California.

I purchased a number of Florida mango trees on turpentine root stock and thus far at my location there performance has been poor compared to the same trees grown on manila or ataulfo root stock.

The first picture is a Coconut Cream mango Tree I purchased from Florida two years ago. It is in a 20 gallon container and has grown modestly but last year I grafted a scion onto a manilla mango tree and it has taken off. On the second photo you can see the Coco Cream just flushed out and on the Florida Turpentine CC there has been no growth yet in 2017 as of the end of July.

The third and 4th photos show the Florida Sweet Tart with no growth yet while the grafted Sweet Tart on Manilla is flushing nicely now. I am only using the Florida Trees for grafting scions now and will likely sell them later when I am done with them.

Johnny

Coconut Cream on Turpentine

Coconut Cream on Manilla Root Stock

Sweet Tart on Turpentine (No Growth Yet in 2017)

Sweet Tart on Manilla Root Stock (already doubled in size in July)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »
Thanks for the comparison pictures Johnny! A good friend reported to me that Sweet Tart actually performs OK on Turpentine rootstock but it definitely thrives on Manilla rootstock. I started removing all my Turpentine rootstock trees and replacing them with Manilla or random seedling rootstocks. The random seedling rootstocks seem to perform just as well as the Manilla in terms of growth but I've yet to see how they perform regarding production.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk