Author Topic: Hurricane Matthew  (Read 14218 times)

Saltee

• Coral Springs Florida, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Hurricane Matthew
« on: October 04, 2016, 02:35:34 PM »
So there's the potential of Florida being scraped or hit by the hurricane which is predicted to be quite strong, we are looking at tropical storm force to hurricane force winds

I don't want to lose my fruit trees but that is nothing compared to what some have and are going to lose

I hope everybody in Florida especially the east coast is aware and prepared just incase. Stay safe

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:55:17 PM by Saltee »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Matthew
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 05:29:57 PM »
Been following the updates and projected path. I am scared to keep watching the updates. Have a home in Port Saint Lucie, my parents stay there. I am not over there to board up windows. Been talking to my mom she is going to see if she can get a handy man to help her, she probably going to a hotel in Orlando.

Afraid of the aftermath and danger to people in the area and the homes. I am expecting worse case, damage to the home, container plants thrown all over, and trees ripped out.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »
Made it through hurricane Ike in 2007. Cat 4 and not a leaf left on a tree on the entire island. Lost half my roof. All the stuff low to the ground made it through fine. One big guinup did not. Still miss that tree but moral of the story is, trim your big trees back and thin them out so they can't catch too much wind.  Have plenty of stakes and lines on hand and if possible, machinery or winch to upright fallen trees and cover their roots. Also consider an alternate water source if your electricity is out for an extended period.  Good luck!

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »
Stay safe all of you - pack up and stay somewhere else if possible. Easier to deal with loss of a house or plant collection than that of family.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Saltee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »
Hopefully this hurricane dessipates rapidly or turns back out to sea without further damage.
I feel for the people of Haiti, Jamaica, Cuba and quite possibly the Bahamas.

The cone has shifted even more toward Florida so it's not looking good. Not looking good for the whole east coast really

That's the catch to living in a place like Florida. Take the good with the bad

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:28:16 AM »
The cone has shifted further West...   :(

Need to find the positive...if I lose a few trees, I have the opportunity to plant more.   :)
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Saltee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 09:05:10 AM »
The cone has shifted further West...   :(

Need to find the positive...if I lose a few trees, I have the opportunity to plant more.   :)

Yea all mine are young... probably gonna be torn apart. Atleast I can pull Haden up lol

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 09:33:28 AM »
Here in the Keys we are expecting a Tropical Storm tonight into Friday morning. Winds sustained at 40mph but gusts up to 75mph. Not so much rain, but the problem is storm surge. They said to expect salt water flooding 1ft above ground for those of us against the water, which is a problem because I have a ton of baby trees just put in, not all of which are salt tolerant the further away from the water. So depending on high high it really gets, how long it lasts, and whether there is enough rain to make it brackish and water it down, I might lose a lot of things.

Nothing like the devastating loss of people directly in the path of Cat 4 Matthew though, of course. Best wishes to any members who have or will be in its way, particularly in remote areas of countries that have few resources to help their people.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 11:03:56 AM »
Hope All who are affected by Hurricane can stay safe!!! Plants can be replaced human's not so easily!!! Stay safe all!!!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
Have to move all the potted plants into the garage, this is going to be a taste

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 12:58:24 PM »
Good luck to all those in the path of Matthew. 

John

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »
I am about 30 minutes from the beach. I have some freshly planted trees from the last couple weeks, but they are partially protected by a woodline. I am more worried about flooding. Its been dry for the last few months so water for the most part gets sucked into the ground fairly quickly, even in my low area in the back that my jackass neighbor decided to grade and elevate the land immediately next to it. Most of my low stuff is elevated on mounds but I don't know if that's enough for the estimated 8 inches of rain. Something tells me no. As long as my prized African Sausage and a few other of my oddball trees come through I will be ok.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
Something wicked my way comes.  >:(

DM

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
I'm a mile from the beach in Pompano Beach, Fl. Just finished moving my entire collection, mostly seedlings into storage. No fun! But better safe than sorry1
Be safe everyone!

Saltee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 08:34:09 PM »
I'm a mile from the beach in Pompano Beach, Fl. Just finished moving my entire collection, mostly seedlings into storage. No fun! But better safe than sorry1
Be safe everyone!

I'm not far from you and I don't wanna speak to soon but we might catch a break compared to 100 miles north

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 08:58:59 PM »
Wish you the best! We can hope  ;). I'll post a pic tomorrow, you realize you have a problem when you have to move it,  :P.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 09:04:19 PM »
Emily, Fabian, Fay, Gonzalo...I've been through 4 direct hits up to Cat 3.  Experienced the eye of two of them. We dodged another a few weeks ago and are watching Nicole to our south now. I bid all in the path safety, peace and wellness.  Be safe. Property is replaceable. You are irreplaceable.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 09:18:23 PM »
Stay safe Florida! I second Future's sentiments family and yourself are first everything can be replace. 

Saltee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 07:15:21 AM »
I will post pics of whatever gets damaged... my fruit trees houses etc. hopefully the pictures look like normal things that aren't damaged

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 10:16:40 AM »
I just hope my original Picasso paintings that I purchased for cash without a receipt make it through the storm.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »
Scary, looking at Haiti and Bahamas islands. Wishing you Florida people lots of luck! Anybody evacuated?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 03:59:39 PM »
I'm now starting to get some stronger winds. Hoping I don't lose power anytime soon.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 04:20:23 PM »
Pretty boring here in western broward so far.

I was here for Wilma, which nobody prepared for. I went out to get gas the night before Wilma hit, and the gas stations were devoid of customers. Very, very few even put up shutters. This time around, people seem to have over-prepared. Most of the gas stations ran out of gas and the markets ran out of bread and water by afternoon yesterday. Home Depot was crazy.

The storm is a cat 4, but the windfield is pretty small. Wilma's windfield, by contrast, spanned like 100 miles and took out 3 counties in one shot. Seems questionable as to whether we'll even see hurricane force winds here in inland broward.

https://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at201614_wind.gif
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Hurricane-Matthew?map=wind
Jeff  :-)

Saltee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 04:39:37 PM »
Pretty boring here in western broward so far.

I was here for Wilma, which nobody prepared for. I went out to get gas the night before Wilma hit, and the gas stations were devoid of customers. Very, very few even put up shutters. This time around, people seem to have over-prepared. Most of the gas stations ran out of gas and the markets ran out of bread and water by afternoon yesterday. Home Depot was crazy.

The storm is a cat 4, but the windfield is pretty small. Wilma's windfield, by contrast, spanned like 100 miles and took out 3 counties in one shot. Seems questionable as to whether we'll even see hurricane force winds here in inland broward.

https://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at201614_wind.gif
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2016/Hurricane-Matthew?map=wind

So far we have dodged the bullet and it's relieving. I'll take the boring lol!

Saltee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 04:43:13 PM »
We didn't board up either, and my gas light in my car is on. Pretty reckless on my part but it's not my first time around