Author Topic: Taste: Green Sapote vs Mamey Sapote  (Read 17931 times)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Taste: Green Sapote vs Mamey Sapote
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »
How does the taste of green sapote compare to mamey sapote?

Also, is there more info about the whitman variety out there?

Thank you,

Alexi

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Taste: Green Sapote vs Mamey Sapote
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »

Thank you,

Based on what I've read, and been told. the fruit is sweeter, with a higher brix.

So i'd imagine just like mamey, but sweeter?

Never had so I'm not sure...I hear also the crop is usually on the tree over the winter months, making it hard to get fruits to develop full flavor, with cold weather making them taste bland. (IN FL)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »

Thank you,

Based on what I've read, and been told. the fruit is sweeter, with a higher brix.

So i'd imagine just like mamey, but sweeter?

Never had so I'm not sure...I hear also the crop is usually on the tree over the winter months, making it hard to get fruits to develop full flavor, with cold weather making them taste bland. (IN FL)

A good green sapote is just as good or better than a good Pantin. But then there are green sapotes that taste more like magana...not so good. So as usual there is a wide spectrum. The greatest qualities of the green sapote is that they are more of a solo fruit, one you can eat by yourself in one sitting, unlike those huge mameys. Also the fact that green sapote will grow at higher elevations than mamey. The down side of green sapote is that there are very few improved cultivars...like i can count them on one finger.  :'( So it's a fruit that still needs a lot of work. With this work i feel it could be far superior to mamey.
Oscar
Oscar

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »
I have not tried green sapote yet, but virtually every opinion I've received on it is that Green tastes excellent and better than Mamey.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »
I've never tried mamey and green sapote side by side, yet. I think that's really what you need to do to say you like one better than another. Memory is not good enough. Even brix content is not good enough, because sweetness alone doesn't make for a good fruit. Anyway, green sapote is certainly a good fruit, and if you love mamey you are pretty much guaranteed to love green sapote. Likewise if you don't like mamey i wouldn't bother growing green sapote.
Oscar
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »
I recently tried mamey and GS for the first time.  The mamey was a Magana but I found it to be quite good with hints of green banana and melon plus custard like consistency.  Much better than I expected after seeing Bryan's tree in PR covered in fruit.  The green sapotes were darker almost red colored flesh, the first one reminded me dead on of pumpkin pie filling w/out the spices.  The one the next day was very flan like.  The green sapote as Oscar pointed out can easily be eaten by one person, the mameys you either need a big appetite or a few friends.

both very good in their own ways,
-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
I recently tried mamey and GS for the first time.  The mamey was a Magana but I found it to be quite good with hints of green banana and melon plus custard like consistency.  Much better than I expected after seeing Bryan's tree in PR covered in fruit.  The green sapotes were darker almost red colored flesh, the first one reminded me dead on of pumpkin pie filling w/out the spices.  The one the next day was very flan like.  The green sapote as Oscar pointed out can easily be eaten by one person, the mameys you either need a big appetite or a few friends.

both very good in their own ways,
-Ethan

What you consider good is often based on what you have available. So if you have plenty of bearing Pantin trees you may ignore the Magana fruits. But if you've never had a mamey before Magana will be a welcome surpsise.
I find mamey and GS very similar tasting. It's kinda like eggfruit (canistel) and ross sapote, one might be better than other in texture/moistness, but still very similar.
Oscar
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the responses.  :) 
Alexi

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »
I've never tried mamey and green sapote side by side, yet. I think that's really what you need to do to say you like one better than another. Memory is not good enough. Even brix content is not good enough, because sweetness alone doesn't make for a good fruit. Anyway, green sapote is certainly a good fruit, and if you love mamey you are pretty much guaranteed to love green sapote. Likewise if you don't like mamey i wouldn't bother growing green sapote.
Oscar

Oscar makes a good point.  I ate the TREC green sapote about 15 years ago and thought it was superiror to any of the mamey's that I had tasted, up to that point in time.  Those mameys included pantin and magana.  It is very, very hard to make some of these comparisons though over time even in a short span of time, without a side by side comparison.  But, from memory, I do have a clear recollection of the green sapote being sweeter and smoother in flavor and texture respectively. I have had several attempts at growing green sapote over the years, usually as the result of collecting budwood from TREC and grafting it onto a seedling mamey.  I had mixed success and then finally got one to take only to have it destroyed by Hurricane Wilma.  I purchased a grafted tree from Pine Island Nursery a few years ago and it is now about 6 or 7 feet tall.  After I allowed Murahilin to take some budwood for mailing to the Canary Islands, looks like the tree is going to push new growth all up and down the tree.  Would be nice tro see a wayward bloom pop up.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Oscar

Oscar makes a good point.  I ate the TREC green sapote about 15 years ago and thought it was superiror to any of the mamey's that I had tasted, up to that point in time.  Those mameys included pantin and magana.  It is very, very hard to make some of these comparisons though over time even in a short span of time, without a side by side comparison.  But, from memory, I do have a clear recollection of the green sapote being sweeter and smoother in flavor and texture respectively. I have had several attempts at growing green sapote over the years, usually as the result of collecting budwood from TREC and grafting it onto a seedling mamey.  I had mixed success and then finally got one to take only to have it destroyed by Hurricane Wilma.  I purchased a grafted tree from Pine Island Nursery a few years ago and it is now about 6 or 7 feet tall.  After I allowed Murahilin to take some budwood for mailing to the Canary Islands, looks like the tree is going to push new growth all up and down the tree.  Would be nice tro see a wayward bloom pop up.

Harry

I guess green sapote is not precocious.  :(  Has your magana developed tiny fruits yet?
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
Yep, my grafted green sapote is somewhere in the 7 year old range and has a trunk about as thick as my arm. It has flowered but has yet to set a fruit.

Have you ever noticed how the better tasting fruits either require more patience or are harder to grow?
Jeff  :-)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:23:27 PM »
Yep, my grafted green sapote is somewhere in the 7 year old range and has a trunk about as thick as my arm. It has flowered but has yet to set a fruit.

Have you ever noticed how the better tasting fruits either require more patience or are harder to grow?

I guess the world of fruits is like life itself. The things that are very worthy require hard work and patience.  If it comes easy, it's usually not worth it.  :)

Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 11:53:39 PM »

I guess the world of fruits is like life itself. The things that are very worthy require hard work and patience.  If it comes easy, it's usually not worth it.  :)

I dunno man.. I'm not so much a fan of hard work or patience. I think I'd lose interest in the tree or whatever if it took too long.

Also, I think Excalibur has a fruiting grafted green sapote right now. The tree isn't that big. Maybe a little bigger than Harry's tree.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 04:49:49 AM »
After I allowed Murahilin to take some budwood for mailing to the Canary Islands, looks like the tree is going to push new growth all up and down the tree.  Would be nice tro see a wayward bloom pop up.
Harry

Harry, I didn't know some GS budwood came from your collection. Thanks a lot for allowing Mura! Muchas gracias  :)

I only know, most mango and some manilkara grafts did take, no information about GS. Here is a two week old picture of the GS-babys:

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 08:13:34 AM »

Felipe,

Great news! Do you know which of the Manilkara varieties take? I am especially
happy for those. That's one important step to get them to the mainland...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »
Sergio, I don't have much information right now, but I'll keep you updated ;)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
Felipe,
If I remember correctly I got the Carrie, Maha Chanok, and green Sapote budwood from Harry's. I got the other green sapote budwood, the sapodillas, and the lemon zest from Excalibur. The mallika came from my in laws house.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
De nada....Felipe.  It was my pleasure to provide what I could for the sake of science!  I hope you get some to take.

Harry

:))
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
Hi,

So, how long will I have to wait for  fruits from these two, both seedlings????

5, 10, 15 years???

The mamey was germinated summer 2008, and the green sapote summer 2009 (Oscar's fruitlovers.com seeds!!!)
They are both 3+ meters tall.

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
I have never fruited a seedling mamey or green sapote.  However, according to my notes, from the Sub Tropical Fruit Culture Class given by Al Will, green sapote takes 8-10 years to fruit from seed and mamey takes between 8-20 years to do the same.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
Hi,

So, how long will I have to wait for  fruits from these two, both seedlings????

5, 10, 15 years???

The mamey was germinated summer 2008, and the green sapote summer 2009 (Oscar's fruitlovers.com seeds!!!)
They are both 3+ meters tall.

I have seedling green sapote trees that are around 20 years old and have not fruited. My grafted green sapote is around 12 years old and just starting to flower now. I didn't fertilize either of them regularly. I think if you do you can cut the time to fruiting probably by 1/2. But in any case i think they will take quite long to fruit. Have a seedling mamey sapote that started fruiting in about 10 years. Again with consistent feeding can probably cut that down to 5.
Oscar

Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »

In other words...my trees are still toddlers...and people say mangosteen is slow to bear...  ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully, my little Pantin will grace me with some fruits sooner...

Someone really needs to figure out some hormones to induce early flowering... :P

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »

In other words...my trees are still toddlers...and people say mangosteen is slow to bear...  ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully, my little Pantin will grace me with some fruits sooner...

Someone really needs to figure out some hormones to induce early flowering... :P

These Pouterias aren't slow to grow like mangosteen, but yes they are slow to bear.
Oscar
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »
De nada....Felipe.  It was my pleasure to provide what I could for the sake of science!  I hope you get some to take.

...for the sake of science, and for my delight  ;D and hopefully I can also redistribute to other fruitlovers (Sergio?) :-)

Sergio, my guess is that with good cultural practices, they should be fruiting in less then 10 years. Over here are some 15 years old huge seedling mameys producing a lot, meaning that they started to produce some years ago.

I would tip-prune both trees, to induce branching and more horizontal growth, or else they will grow like pines  :D

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »

Yes, I should have pruned them early on. But they were growing so nicely that
I could not bring myself to behead them...  :-[

Looks like the mamey will be pruned tonight. That killer polar wave that's been raging over
much of Europe has caught up with us...  :'(
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »
I was inspired by the Lara videos to post this photo i took recently of two green sapote fruits:

Oscar
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »
I was inspired by the Lara videos to post this photo i took recently of two green sapote fruits:

Oscar

Nice!
Alexi

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 06:22:09 AM »

Sergio, at first I very doubtful whether to prune them or not, but as you can see on the pictures, it worked out. I first pruned the tip when the seedling was close to 3 ft high. Month later, my brother cut again the tips. ..

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 07:03:22 AM »

Yes, yours looks very nicely formed.
I think we got the seeds from Oscar at the same time.

A friend of mine (maybe he's lurking here???) has one of those seedlings
planted outside that is doing great and looks more like yours.

I think I will use some of the taller branches of mine on some grafting experiments using
lucuma as rootstock...

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
I think I will use some of the taller branches of mine on some grafting experiments using
lucuma as rootstock...

That's a good idea :)