Author Topic: Who here has actually killed a tree by over watering?  (Read 2244 times)

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Who here has actually killed a tree by over watering?
« on: September 03, 2017, 11:45:22 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has actually done it.  As it's often said, "don't over water, or you'll get root rot!"  or  "Watering every day is way too much, it should be once per week, or per month" 

And now I'm thinking I've been so afraid to over water, that I've been under watering for years.    During this last heat wave, I started watering every day, and now all my tree are popping with growth. 

With that said, I think it would interesting to hear first-hand experience in tree murder by over watering.  Or possibly the opposite, Tree abundance by overwatering!

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Who here has actually killed a tree by over watering?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 04:00:56 AM »
I've killed many container tiresome this especially younger ones! In ground I almost killed a moringa but that was also from the mulch being too close to the trunk. Most other things in ground seems I can't water enough ha ha
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 04:15:54 AM »
I've made this mistake with citrus before.:( Hasn't happened since.
You've got to be careful and not judge by the surface of the soil. It dries the quickest and can be quite deceiving. The good thing is that overwatering is easily preventable!

You could mulch the top of the soil to keep the soil temperature cooler. It will conserve more water so you won't have water as much.

Make sure your soil mix is one that the species prefers. if you aren't sure, you can look up soil mix recipes you can make yourself.

Most importantly, Invest in a soil moisture meter. They aren't expensive (Cheap ones are under $10) and are great from preventing the errors mentioned. The prongs allow one to measure the moisture several inches below the surface of the soil. Some measure moisture, pH, and light.
It may also be helpful to look into  the moisture levels preferred by the plants you are concerned about.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:23:20 AM by sildanani »
Anisha

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »
Plenty of times. Killed way more tree's in my climate this way than by under watering, mostly potted of course.
Leaving town is often the best thing I can do for my tree's.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 02:09:14 PM »
I've killed many seedlings and smaller mango trees when I first got into the hobby. Damping off is a good way to loose your seedlings. I used to over water my plants and probably still do occasionally. The best way to determine when to water is to look at your plants daily and if they're in a pot, pick it up to feel if it's heavy. Get to know what the potted plant should feel like after a good watering and also what it feels like when it's dry. Also get your hands dirty and feel the bottom drainage holes to see if it's still moist on the bottom.

The type of soil you have, how old the soil is and many other factors determine how often and how much you should water. I also take into consideration the total surface area of the trees canopy. A tree with a large dense canopy in a 10 gallon container will need a lot more water than a whip in the same 10 gallon container.

Simon

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:03:25 PM »
i recently watched a video on youtube
where a guy over-waters daily, and it was to show that it only made his plants grow faster.

However, i agree with Simon, lots of things go into how fast a plant looses and uses water
from wind and humidity to soil type and drainage
to mulch and organic matter
to the species and size of the plant.

sticking my finger down an inch or 2  near (but not right at) the trunk
si a good way to sense moisture.

To me, the main issue is the microbiology in the rhizosphere.
the microbes right at the root zone.
they need to function properly and the roots need to absorb O2 and also need to off-gas CO2.

if the water becomes anaerobic the biology goes out of whack and harms the plant.
so in a steady rain, or if the water is moving
there is less of a problem.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »
Unless you have clay soil, I think it would be difficult to over-water.  However, hurricane flood waters have killed Avocado, Sapodilla, Papaya, Starfruit in my yard.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
For seedlings, I use a mixture of Vermiculite, soil and sand in well-drained pots and have 0 chance of leaving a tree dead-over-watering.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 02:05:31 PM »
Ooo! Ooo! Pick me! Pick me!  I am REALLY good at killing potted papayas by overwatering!
Any more, if I get the urge to water them, I don't.  Then if I get the urge again, I don't.  Third time, I water them.  All alive so far.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk