Author Topic: A visit in Chatuchak market in Bkk  (Read 16034 times)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
A visit in Chatuchak market in Bkk
« on: February 05, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
During my short stay in Bangkok - Thailand I visited the famous Chatuchak Market. I knew the Wednesday is the day for plant and tree seller and hunters so I was there on that day. The market is very big. A huge nursery with all kinds of plants and trees. I spent many hrs there and not a sign of tiredness after finishing my visit:).

One of many entrances

Big mango trees

The mango tree pots (thai patent?)

Trucks load with trees

Banana stand

Any kind of banana's bulbs in small pots to take away!

Grafted durian. I found all three famous varieties in thailand here. monthong, chanee, khan yao

..and more grafted trees
Mike

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: A visit in Chatuchak market in Bkk
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
What a nicely displayed market! I wish we had markets like that here... Huge trees ready for planting, I would hate to hear how cheap the prices are too!

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
What a nicely displayed market! I wish we had markets like that here... Huge trees ready for planting, I would hate to hear how cheap the prices are too!
Patrick the market is really nice, huge and not to have enough. Some trees are really big as you can see in some pictures you need to load on a truck to transport away. About the prices, sit down and read this : small grafted plants like in the last picture 50bht ($1.70), bigger 100bht ($3.20) :o. About big mangos like in the first pictures I didn't ask because the trees didn't fit in my suitcase  :) ;)
Mike

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »
Patrick the market is really nice, huge and not to have enough. Some trees are really big as you can see in some pictures you need to load on a truck to transport away. About the prices, sit down and read this : small grafted plants like in the last picture 50bht ($1.70), bigger 100bht ($3.20) :o. About big mangos like in the first pictures I didn't ask because the trees didn't fit in my suitcase  :) ;)

Our local HD and Lowes Improvement Stores have the grafted Jaks in the last picture for $49.95!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »

I see some smart vendors have a few english words on their signs. It used to be everything was in Thai script, and unless you had a translator with you you were out of luck because nobody spoke not even one world of english.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:12:52 PM »
The one picture with the mango in the basket, how are those propagated, it almost looks like these were air layered or something, the tree is so big with such a small container in comparison.  bamboo support tied at the bottom.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
Very nice plants! The bad thing is you can't take them all back home..

When I was in BKK I also wanted to visit the Chatuchak market, but my hangover was too bad that day...  :blank:

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:50:35 PM »

When I was in BKK I also wanted to visit the Chatuchak market, but my hangover was too bad that day...  :blank:

Pat Pong  , the night before Felipe ???
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »
how are you going to take home trees in your suitcase?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
The one picture with the mango in the basket, how are those propagated, it almost looks like these were air layered or something, the tree is so big with such a small container in comparison.  bamboo support tied at the bottom.

Yes some are airlayered but most are grafted. The basket they plant as a whole thing, the roots will grow out and it will decay soon.

Grafted jack is 2us$ and now there are many new mango-species for sale.

I saw Jaboticaba cauliflora for sale (and a big tree blooming) but i don't know if i like them so i am still in doubt to buy.

xunxun88

• taipei/taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
I can not believe that (summer snow mango) is a new species in Taiwan, it has a plant variety right, has now appeared in the Thai market.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
I can not believe that (summer snow mango) is a new species in Taiwan, it has a plant variety right, has now appeared in the Thai market.

Yes that summer snow mango is one of the newest that they sell, i also have never heard of it and i guess somebody makes up that name because thai people like everything with the word snow. And because Aiwan and Jua hing (something like that) and Yu-wen are from Taiwan (also Red Dragon mango) they just add this one to the list i guess.

Can you tell me if the mango's i named are nice ones? Taiwanese mango's are in fashion here now.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »

Believe it! Thailand is pirating capital of the world. No trademark, patent, or copyright is safe there.
Oscar

xunxun88

• taipei/taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »
Hi~bangkok

This page has introduced many of Taiwan's famous mango, you can watch through GOOGLE translation.

http://www.mesotw.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=759&extra=page%3D1

xun

xunxun88

• taipei/taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »

Believe it! Thailand is pirating capital of the world. No trademark, patent, or copyright is safe there.

thanks you~Oscar
I believe it.
(summer snow mango) variety rights owned by a private company in Taiwan, fruit specialized in the export to Japan, not private trading in Taiwan.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 03:18:17 AM »
Hi~bangkok

This page has introduced many of Taiwan's famous mango, you can watch through GOOGLE translation.

xun

My google cannot translate this chinese unfortunately.

Is it a nice mango? I read it smells like an Irwin mango and tastes like an indiginous mango (what ever that may taste like).

It has no fibre though.

Is it worth to offer a ndm4 branch for a scion of Summer Snow mango or not?

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 04:18:30 AM »

I see some smart vendors have a few english words on their signs. It used to be everything was in Thai script, and unless you had a translator with you you were out of luck because nobody spoke not even one world of english.
The only words the sellers know in english are the names of the plants and the prices. Smart!

They must be propagated by airlayering because no grafting point on the whole trunk.
No digging in the basket alowed! ;)

The temptation is big. You can't resist.:)  Felipe, next time you can be better prepared  :)
Mike

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 04:56:08 AM »

Pat Pong  , the night before Felipe ???
Maybe Nana? :o Haha!

It is possible! Believe me!

It is possible. Believe me!

Yes that summer snow mango is one of the newest that they sell, i also have never heard of it and i guess somebody makes up that name because thai people like everything with the word snow. And because Aiwan and Jua hing (something like that) and Yu-wen are from Taiwan (also Red Dragon mango) they just add this one to the list i guess.
I think Aiwan and Yu-wen is the same? The Chinesish pronunciation is difficult.

I am sure for that. Everything can be copied especially here in Thailand. Some times the reproduction is very good like the original some times bad.
With the plants it is easy. Υou just write the name of the variety on the placard or on the table. You buy it and after a few year you determine the fruits you harvest are from another variety.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:57:55 AM by msk0072 »
Mike

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 05:02:35 AM »
Customs must be a lot more relaxed in Greece. ::) Try bringing a suit case full of plants into USA and see what happens! I think in most of Europe also you will not get away with it.
Oscar

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:35 AM »
The only words the sellers know in english are the names of the plants and the prices. Smart!

In Thailand, nearly everything from street vendors is negotiable.  I was told that it is almost an insult NOT to try and bargain down the price.   And if ones is worried about not knowing the Thai words for prices, worry not, as you will be handed a calculator with the price and you can type in your own price.  Nice!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:06:12 PM by Fruitguy »

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »
Customs must be a lot more relaxed in Greece. ::) Try bringing a suit case full of plants into USA and see what happens! I think in most of Europe also you will not get away with it.
Some times yes. Must be lucky, also.
Second visit in Chatuchak and I found this mango tree in the market for 200THB ($5) I don't Know why the price is higher. Special mango?

Who can recognize it? Maybe Elephant Tusk Mango? Too green for it?

In Thailand, everything is negotiable...
You are full right. The price for this mango tree was not negotiable >:(
Mike

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
Hi~bangkok

xun

My translator seems to work, lots of good pictures at that site, thanks for the link.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »

In Thailand, everything is negotiable.  I was told that it is almost an insult NOT to try and bargain down the price.   And if ones is worried about not knowing the Thai words for prices, worry not, as you will be handed a calculator with the price and you can type in your own price.  Nice!

I don't know who told you that, but it's not true. They will very gladly take your money! All of it!!  It's customary to quote farangs (foreigners) prices 2 to 4x normal price. So if you pay it they will just smile and take your money.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:06:29 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 04:21:46 AM »
I have seen that big green mango for sale on chatuchak but forgot the name. It was something with the word Tung in it. I have keau Jai allready which is something similar, huge and green.

It is not true that you can bargain everywhere but you can at least try. I have seen people getting very angry when you try it and start yelling and making a scene but who cares? They do not put the price on their stuff so then i always try it, the game is who can waste the most time of the other one. Thai traders always try to waste your time and hope you just say okay i ll take it for your price.

If you get to know Bkk better then you know where and how to bargain but also many times i m not in the mood for it and just go to a departmentstore and pay the full price there. But even there you can bargain if you know how and get discount with cards.

Aiwan and Yu-wen are the same? I paid 100 baht for it and see it elsewhere mostly for 500. Yu-wen is the one with fruits from 4.2 lbs that is 2 kg. Yu-wen is easy to graft and flushes fast but the flushes can also die easy when the graft is still alive and will flush again. I still don't know why that happens.

On the taiwanese website i can see pictures but not read the text (is not translated). I would like to read the description they give it. I believe Taiwan is not as hot as Thailand so maybe the mango's will taste different here.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 05:14:34 AM »
I have seen that big green mango for sale on chatuchak but forgot the name. It was something with the word Tung in it. I have keau Jai allready which is something similar, huge and green.

It is not true that you can bargain everywhere but you can at least try. I have seen people getting very angry when you try it and start yelling and making a scene but who cares? They do not put the price on their stuff so then i always try it, the game is who can waste the most time of the other one. Thai traders always try to waste your time and hope you just say okay i ll take it for your price.

If you get to know Bkk better then you know where and how to bargain but also many times i m not in the mood for it and just go to a departmentstore and pay the full price there. But even there you can bargain if you know how and get discount with cards.

Aiwan and Yu-wen are the same? I paid 100 baht for it and see it elsewhere mostly for 500. Yu-wen is the one with fruits from 4.2 lbs that is 2 kg. Yu-wen is easy to graft and flushes fast but the flushes can also die easy when the graft is still alive and will flush again. I still don't know why that happens.

On the taiwanese website i can see pictures but not read the text (is not translated). I would like to read the description they give it. I believe Taiwan is not as hot as Thailand so maybe the mango's will taste different here.

Try the Bing translator. Works fine: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http://www.mesotw.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=759&extra=page%3D1
Oscar