Author Topic: Mango Lemon Zest fruits sun burned easy  (Read 1708 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Mango Lemon Zest fruits sun burned easy
« on: August 31, 2021, 01:42:46 AM »
I had noticed that all of my LZ green fruits, even 4" long, got sun burned easy in 90+ F SoCal summer, while others such as  Peach Cobbler and Okrung are doing fine. The ones got some shade from the leaves are fine. Next year I will shade the direct sun fruits with papers. Do you guys have the same experience with LZ?

Orto1978

• Sardinia 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Lemon Zest fruits sun burned easy
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:12:05 AM »
Hi Sapote,
Thank you for the heads up. I am about to start growing LZ in Southern Italy. Our summer sun is intense!. I will make sure to provide some shade.

Cheers.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 10:14:27 AM »
Some  thoughts:
Paint one half the LZ fruit w white latex paint. The half of the fruit that gets the most sun.

#2 Drape fruit with aluminum foil

#3 Buy some disposable foam dinner plates. They are flimsy, so double or triple up on them. To use as a sombrero over the fruit. Here in Tamarac, Florida Walmart is having a sale on them. In there last week I noticed they were 150 or 250 of them for $4

These same plates should keep animals off them. Put a hole in the center. Uses scissors to slit to the center. Fit this over your LZ fruit. Then Use masking tape to seal up the slit

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
Some  thoughts:
Paint one half the LZ fruit w white latex paint. The half of the fruit that gets the most sun.

#2 Drape fruit with aluminum foil

#3 Buy some disposable foam dinner plates. They are flimsy, so double or triple up on them. To use as a sombrero over the fruit. Here in Tamarac, Florida Walmart is having a sale on them. In there last week I noticed they were 150 or 250 of them for $4

These same plates should keep animals off them. Put a hole in the center. Uses scissors to slit to the center. Fit this over your LZ fruit. Then Use masking tape to seal up the slit

Little concern with Aluminum foil:

When one object touches another heat moves through it. Aluminum foil is a great conductor of heat, It is also so thin that heat can pass through it super easily when it has direct contact. So, Once draped, the parts of the fruit touching aluminum foil will be boiled/toasted. Isn't it?

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 01:10:04 PM »
Hi Sapote,
Thank you for the heads up. I am about to start growing LZ in Southern Italy. Our summer sun is intense!. I will make sure to provide some shade.

Cheers.
Curious, how did you manage to get a lemon zest tree to Italy?

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 02:48:45 PM »
Hi Sapote,

Cheers.

1) Carrying Budwood or small plants without custom inspection.

2) Shipping plants/budwood with original phytosanitary certificate, must be declared either on
    board or on arrival.

Shipping tips and Solutions:
    https://www.easyship.com/blog/how-to-ship-plants

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 08:49:37 PM »
My LZ tree is small  but the sun didn't get through the canopy enough to burn any of my LZ mangos. I did have critter bags on all of the 16 fruits my little tree managed to produce so that helped. Our average high in July was 106 degrees. I think the hottest day was 121 degrees. My guavas on the other hand took a beating on the perimeter of the tree. I will say I've noticed new growth on the LZ fares much better than on my other mango trees. They don't start to get crispy until it's about 112-115 degrees in full sun. I have an M4 and Sweet Tart sitting in shade almost all day and their growth gets singed super easy when temps get up there

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 12:05:49 AM »
I saw that Wong farms in Thermal, CA use mesh bags over their fruits specifically to prevent sun burns. Seems like a good solution for the situation

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 12:23:42 AM »
I saw that Wong farms in Thermal, CA use mesh bags over their fruits specifically to prevent sun burns. Seems like a good solution for the situation

That's near where I live. We have a trucking company. We hauled about about 400k lbs of Keitt mangos a couple of weeks ago. Supposedly it all came out of a 46 acre field in Westmorland or Calipatria. It was all packed in Thermal, CA though.

I saw pickup trucks coming into where they were packing the mangos and hauling away thousands of pounds of blemished but huge mangos.... for their cows and goats lol. I don't know why they just didn't sell them to a juice company.

Orto1978

• Sardinia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 04:53:40 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Some of the varieties that you all rave about are propagated and sold by a couple tropical nurseries based in the EU.

Unfortunately the personal hassle and cost of import certificates is prohibitive so we have to make due with what the big nurseries bring in a propagate. Within the EU they can ship all over the place and that is how I got mine. I find the fruit community in Italy is respectful of limiting the spread of exotic and invasive pests and disease, which is a good thing for th obvious reasons!

I also have coconut cream, alphonso, Nam doc mai.

Ciao

Hi Sapote,

Cheers.

1) Carrying Budwood or small plants without custom inspection.

2) Shipping plants/budwood with original phytosanitary certificate, must be declared either on
    board or on arrival.

Shipping tips and Solutions:
    https://www.easyship.com/blog/how-to-ship-plants

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 07:30:04 AM »

That's near where I live. We have a trucking company. We hauled about about 400k lbs of Keitt mangos a couple of weeks ago. Supposedly it all came out of a 46 acre field in Westmorland or Calipatria. It was all packed in Thermal, CA though.

I saw pickup trucks coming into where they were packing the mangos and hauling away thousands of pounds of blemished but huge mangos.... for their cows and goats lol. I don't know why they just didn't sell them to a juice company.

This is ridiculous. Fruits with some blemishes are easily sold off at flea markets. Get these mangoes out there on Saturday and Sunday, they will be scooped up. I suppose one barrier is these mango seconds need refrigeration, that might not be available at a low enough price. Citrus is more durable, this is what I have seen (and eaten) at Florida flea markets. This ugly citrus was prime! Such as tangerines and grapefruit.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 06:12:10 PM »
I have not noticed that Lemon Zest is more prone to sunburn. My friend Gary grows LZ in Palm Springs and his fruit gets sunburn when it reached about 113F but in San Diego I have not noticed that any of my fruit gets burned.

Sometimes young trees, potted trees or trees with weak root systems can get sunburn on their fruit and leaves when the tree is unable to keep up with water demands on a hot day.

Simon

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 07:26:24 PM »

This is ridiculous. Fruits with some blemishes are easily sold off at flea markets. Get these mangoes out there on Saturday and Sunday, they will be scooped up. I suppose one barrier is these mango seconds need refrigeration, that might not be available at a low enough price. Citrus is more durable, this is what I have seen (and eaten) at Florida flea markets. This ugly citrus was prime! Such as tangerines and grapefruit.

Our citrus culls go to the cows too! 😂

When we used to deliver culled carrots to the dairy farms we used to see tons of culled citrus dumped there for feed. I guess the juicers could only take so much citrus at once. Those were the good ole days. Buying culled carrots for $5 a ton and selling it for $20.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 07:29:37 PM by WaterFowler »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 08:42:52 PM »
I have not noticed that Lemon Zest is more prone to sunburn. My friend Gary grows LZ in Palm Springs and his fruit gets sunburn when it reached about 113F but in San Diego I have not noticed that any of my fruit gets burned.

Sometimes young trees, potted trees or trees with weak root systems can get sunburn on their fruit and leaves when the tree is unable to keep up with water demands on a hot day.

Simon

Hi Simon,

The trees are both over 4" dia trunk and so I think they are mature trees. Only the West facing fruits got burned and fell off. Also I don't think it was the high temperature but it was due to strong hot sun rays that cooked them. On the same tree, all Peach Cobblers have the yellow spots but no sun damages. No leaves damage but only fruits. My trees all have more fruits on the West side.
So far we haven't had over 100F yet.

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 08:53:36 PM »
Where were all those keitts headed. Finding CA grown keitts at trader joes is what launched me on mango growing, but I haven't seen them in years. I love those big delicious mangoes, any leads on what markets are carrying them?

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 09:17:05 PM »
Where were all those keitts headed. Finding CA grown keitts at trader joes is what launched me on mango growing, but I haven't seen them in years. I love those big delicious mangoes, any leads on what markets are carrying them?

Keit are usually available in late reason. They are at the bottom of my list, but everyone has different taste.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 09:46:01 PM »

Simon

Hi Simon,

The trees are both over 4" dia trunk and so I think they are mature trees. Only the West facing fruits got burned and fell off. Also I don't think it was the high temperature but it was due to strong hot sun rays that cooked them. On the same tree, all Peach Cobblers have the yellow spots but no sun damages. No leaves damage but only fruits. My trees all have more fruits on the West side.
So far we haven't had over 100F yet.

Based on the information you provided, I would say your vapor pressure deficit is too high.

Simon

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 09:48:49 PM »

I have no idea but the guy I brought them to, his biggest markets are Bay Area, Canada and New York I believe. Here's me loading one of our drivers. They have green mangos stuffed in bins like citrus or bell peppers lol

We started the Keitts sometime during 1st week of August and it lasted about 2 weeks

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2021, 12:35:53 AM »
@sapote
How about get some banana pups from forum members and have the stalks grow high enough to shield your LZ fruits. Bananas like cheap 10-10-10 fertilizer to grow faster and water frequently. Plant 5 banana pups 9 inches apart, and you will have a banana mat established quickly. A banana mat really gets them going and growing (competing, apical dominance?) and throwing off pups quicker. Plant one banana and it takes 2-3 years

Banana mat>
The root system of banana plants begins as a single rhizome that puts out suckers, which form new plants to replace the dying main plant after it fruits. The rhizome, suckers and their fibrous roots form a mass of roots known as the mat.

Or plant a fast growing tree where its shade will protect LZ fruits. Tree is better because you can prune it to suit the shielding action that you want

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2021, 02:32:10 AM »
Zands,

All of my mango trees are surrounded by pavers and planting shading plants is not the option. Also the trees are at manageable height and so shading each fruits with white paper is not a big deal: just tape up an envelope on the fruit stem.

I thought for sure this year we won't have any LZ to eat -- fell off from undeveloped seeds and sun burned, but on the final count we have 7 big fruits which came from the last flower shoots in late April or early May with some PM disease but these fruits survived.