Author Topic: Mango seed viability days weeks or months?  (Read 1165 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Mango seed viability days weeks or months?
« on: September 18, 2021, 02:26:34 PM »
I just found some mango seeds underneath my guava bush. It appears that the raccoons found my guava bush to be a suitable place to have a feast on my sweet tart mangoes. I was pruning the lower branches of my guava when I noticed where banquet took place several weeks ago  😠
Out of curiosity I planted them to see what will happen. Has anyone conducted a an experiment just to see the duration of viability

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 02:33:59 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango seed viability days weeks or months?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 06:23:43 PM »
Those seeds still look viable.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 07:01:08 PM »
I agree.  I have dropped seeds from fruits eaten by critters emerging in strange places in my yard now.  These are seeds from fruits eaten more than a month, or more ago.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 08:14:01 PM »
It all depends on how those seeds were stored, but 2 weeks are generally ok according to an article that I had read.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 12:01:22 AM »
As far as your friend Rocky Raccoon and his buddies go...... Go to HD and buy some house brand wasp and hornet spray for two bucks. This is not really a spray. It shoots out a stream of liquid. Give Rocky a good dose in the nose, eyes and face. Repeat in two hours. He will never come back again.

Though to be on the safe side, I would also drive him a few miles away to turn him loose by the side of the road. Give him another shot of hornet spray, while he is still dazed shake him out of the cage, hit him in the head with a 2x4, kick him in the rear with your boot. No need to drive him the ten miles away, that they talk about. This is ridiculous and too much work.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:54:04 AM by zands »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 06:15:59 PM »
As far as your friend Rocky Raccoon and his buddies go...... Go to HD and buy some house brand wasp and hornet spray for two bucks. This is not really a spray. It shoots out a stream of liquid. Give Rocky a good dose in the nose, eyes and face. Repeat in two hours. He will never come back again.

Though to be on the safe side, I would also drive him a few miles away to turn him loose by the side of the road. Give him another shot of hornet spray, while he is still dazed shake him out of the cage, hit him in the head with a 2x4, kick him in the rear with your boot. No need to drive him the ten miles away, that they talk about. This is ridiculous and too much work.

Wishful thinking but first you have to trap  Rocky which may not be trivia. Yeah, I like to kick its butt too. I once trapped a tough Rocky and he walked the whole cage with him around the yard all night. He chewed the tuna aluminum can just like chewing gum. I didn't have wasp spray to try, and too afraid to be near Rocky so I opened the trap door and ran away, letting Rocky walked out to a new far place.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 08:42:10 PM »

Wishful thinking but first you have to trap  Rocky which may not be trivia. Yeah, I like to kick its butt too. I once trapped a tough Rocky and he walked the whole cage with him around the yard all night. He chewed the tuna aluminum can just like chewing gum. I didn't have wasp spray to try, and too afraid to be near Rocky so I opened the trap door and ran away, letting Rocky walked out to a new far place.

Harbor Fright trap $25 ---  https://www.harborfreight.com/32-in-x-15-in-x-10-in-medium-animal-trap-63008.html  -- is huge and might scare your neighbors. Got two Rocky raccoons that did not walk it around. Heavy construction. Only problem was the trap was set on top of lawn grass, which Rockys tore up to a fare thee well as they tried to dig downward to escape. So putting some plywood underneath next year.
No wasp spray? Douse/Squirt Rocky's face, nose, eyes with some hot pepper/Cayenne simmered in water. And of course be sure to give him a good boot in the ass on the way out..

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 03:54:39 PM »
I went back and looked I started complaining about the raccoons at the end of August and the 1st of September I planted this seed on the 18th. Today I needed a little of dirt so I scrape some off the top look what I found.

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 12:34:51 PM »
I went back and looked I started complaining about the raccoons at the end of August and the 1st of September I planted this seed on the 18th. Today I needed a little of dirt so I scrape some off the top look what I found.

<br /><br />

Pick the last fruit off this Valencia Pride at the end of August  Just mowed the yard 2 weeks ago. Still finding evidence of raccoon thievery.
<br /><br />

Sweet tart still popping out of the ground

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 05:29:04 PM »
Those bastards!

I witnessed an opossum hustling through my yard the other day and thankfully staying away from my mango tree. Perhaps mangos aren't common enough here to be a target for them... Yet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk