Author Topic: Biggest and best ( sweetest ) jaboticaba ?  (Read 18263 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Biggest and best ( sweetest ) jaboticaba ?
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
Lets hear from those fortunate enough to have them fruiting what the most desirable Jaboticaba would be .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Re: Biggest and best ( sweetest ) jaboticaba ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
Grimal!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
trunciflora and grimal are great.

truncilfora is sweet and large, with smooth succulent pulp, and with low tannins in skin..has about 4 small seeds per fruit.  Skin is very thin, and easy to eat in moderation.

grimal is large, with tannic thick skins, has a nice texture, more gelatinous, thicker than most jaboticabas....also has a wonderful concord grape flavor.  I think Grimal exceeds trunciflora in fruit size.  It also has very small seeds!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »

Yep Adam that is all the reasons the Grimal is my favorite!

Ed

truncilfora is sweet and large, with smooth succulent pulp, and with low tannins in skin..has about 4 small seeds per fruit.  Skin is very thin, and easy to eat in moderation.

grimal is large, with tannic thick skins, has a nice texture, more gelatinous, thicker than most jaboticabas....also has a wonderful concord grape flavor.  I think Grimal exceeds trunciflora in fruit size.  It also has very small seeds!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »

Have you tasted yet M. coronata? If so how does it compare?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 06:19:02 PM »
I believe coronata was described by Mattos in 1976...being such a recently described species, it's doubtful that there are many fruiting specimens in USA.

I've never tasted one, but I really dream about it all the time!

they're larger than both grimal and trunciflora...I hear they can be somewhat acid or sweet, depending on variety...not sure about skin thickness and tannins.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
I am not familiar with the name ' Grimal ' , googling i find it is the spiritosantensis , who is Grimal  ?

Do you have this fruiting Ed ?

I have the trunciflora still years away from fruit .

Really curious about the coronata .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:31 PM »
I believe coronata was described by Mattos in 1976...being such a recently described species, it's doubtful that there are many fruiting specimens in USA.

I've never tasted one, but I really dream about it all the time!

they're larger than both grimal and trunciflora...I hear they can be somewhat acid or sweet, depending on variety...not sure about skin thickness and tannins.

I think also it must be a "must have". The fruits are way bigger than any other jaboticaba, usually well over one inch across.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 06:30:49 PM »
I am not familiar with the name ' Grimal ' , googling i find it is the spiritosantensis , who is Grimal  ?

Adolf Grimal who lived on one of the Keys island. There is some info on him in Whitman's book 5 Decades. I guess they were friends? Grimal had one of these spirito-santensis trees. But until recently nobody knew correct name, so they just called it Grimal. I'm calling them Fuzzy jaboticaba.
Oscar

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:41:06 PM »
I should hit myself and you should expel me from the forum , when I was in Brazil in 2006 Lorenzi and Marco took me to a place in the Campinos university with lots of Jaboticaba varieties .

Guess what , I did not save any seeds reasoning I would not live to see them fruiting . The only one I kept was the phitrantha , can't remember why...

From some notes I took the oblongata was really big over 3 cm  but slightly acid .

Don't remember seeing the coronada .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:29:02 PM »

Grimal, the "Reticent Plantsman" !!

One of the greats, probably my favorite fruit collector to hear stories about...a retired engineer...of German descent (?)...who was an amazing plant collector.

That is why I always call the M. spirito-santensis "Grimal"...and not fuzzy...out of respect for Adolf...who introduced this species in to USA.

( I found a neat forum thread about Grimal's property, http://www.city-data.com/forum/miami/792918-bizarre-house-west-homestead-2.html   kind of funny to hear )

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:30:35 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »
a quote from a person on another forum about Grimal...(taken from the link in my previous post)

"thats the one. adolf grimal was the guys's name. hes sort of the a mystery man in the tropical fruit circles in south florida. lived sort of a hermit existence. he spent so much time on his own that it would take a few minutes for him to formulate an answer when you asked him a question because he lived life at his own pace. he used calipers when grafting and his grafts were of mechanical precision. ive been trying to preserve some of the trees on the property for a long time now but that cold front winter before last really did a number on them. there are a few trees there that are rare even internationally. one is from an unknown location in the philippines and another is from the jungles of borneo. fortunately there are a number of specimens in hawaii as well now. our climate is less than ideal for these special trees. there is also a forgotten tree i believe may exist at the kampong, a very rare fruit from the middle of the congo. not sure if its still there after that cold though or where it exists on the property. "

another quote from the same person,

"this is true. maybe someday south florida will stop being dysfunctional enough to preserve these properties. there is a fascinating property in the keys too that was originally run by a retired engineer from chicago who set up a series of cisterns and pumps to irrigate the island to grow tropical fruit from southeast asia in the frost free conditions of the florida keys. he originally moved there to do 3D underwater photography of an offshore reef but caught the tropical fruit bug. i still wish i someone knew how the whole thing operated. now its essentially just a mosquito factory."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:35:50 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »
Great info Adam! I agree it should be called Grimal not Fuzzy or fuzy! Dogs and cats are fuzzy.

One of the greats, probably my favorite fruit collector to hear stories about...a retired engineer...of German descent (?)...who was an amazing plant collector.

That is why I always call the M. spirito-santensis "Grimal"...and not fuzzy...out of respect for Adolf...who introduced this species in to USA.

( I found a neat forum thread about Grimal's property, http://www.city-data.com/forum/miami/792918-bizarre-house-west-homestead-2.html   kind of funny to hear )

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
How do you know that Grimal is the one that introduced the sprito-santensis to USA?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 01:32:30 AM »
How do you know that Grimal is the one that introduced the sprito-santensis to USA?

the name Grimal had already been given to this species (which in FL, was at first thought of more as a cultivar, rather than a separate species).  All of the old FL fruit growers give him credit for being the one to introduce it... Here is an article that references it.  http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/2006%20v.%20119/FSHS%20119/p.066-68.pdf

and of course he also had a beautiful fruiting tree on his property, before anyone else in the USA.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:51 PM »

Very interesting Dude this A. Grimal and his place sounds like it was the place at one time, thanks for posting. 8)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 12:45:42 AM »
Grimals have been in Australia a while but have always been called large leafed or fuzzy jaboticaba.They fruit more quickly than sabara.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 12:50:51 AM »
Grimals have been in Australia a while but have always been called large leafed or fuzzy jaboticaba.They fruit more quickly than sabara.

Do you know who or how they were introduced into Australia?

Why aren't they called Grimal in Australia then?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:17:31 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 01:01:23 AM »
Probably via Grimal to Whitman to Don Gray or one of his homeboys.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 01:15:40 AM »
Whitman had contacts here and they did some swapsies.Don Gray (eg whitman and the Gray abiu in florida and the whitman fiberless soursop here) was one but there were others.While grimals and sabaras came a long time ago,jaboticabas hit the wall after that.This jaboticaba backwater will no doubt strut the plinia stage before too long.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 01:20:43 AM »
Whitman had contacts here and they did some swapsies.Don Gray (eg whitman and the Gray abiu in florida and the whitman fiberless soursop here) was one but there were others.While grimals and sabaras came a long time ago,jaboticabas hit the wall after that.This jaboticaba backwater will no doubt strut the plinia stage before too long.

I think maybe the jaboticabas hit the wall because a lot of your compatriots didn't know until very recently that anything exists in world of jaboticabas besides large leafed and small leafed jaboticaba.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 01:34:25 AM »
Even fruit enthusiast campatriots still have not had a jaboticaba awakening.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 01:52:06 AM »
Even fruit enthusiast campatriots still have not had a jaboticaba awakening.

Yes, and it's the same here in Yanklandia for the most part. I think Adam is one of the few here attempting to correct this severe jaboticaba deprivation.
Oscar

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »
Seems like a Brazil trip needs to be planned during the Jabo Fest. I met a guy at TREC last summer who was from the very city and when I asked him about the festivals, he went glassy eyed and said words don't descibe it. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 05:00:30 PM »
Seems like a Brazil trip needs to be planned during the Jabo Fest. I met a guy at TREC last summer who was from the very city and when I asked him about the festivals, he went glassy eyed and said words don't descibe it.

You got that right! I'd love to go to one of those. There are several towns in Brazil that have jaboticaba festivals. I guess the largest one is in town of Sabara?
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk