Author Topic: Viva Pickering  (Read 21006 times)

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
Another source for Pickering mangos
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
Been going nuts reading about the Pickering mango, so Friday dropped everything and ran down to Palm City.  The Martin hwy has a bunch of nurseries and the 2nd one had PM's.  I got a Pickering planted in a 15 gal Jackpot.  There were 2 more available.  Thanks to guys like Anikulapo for getting me all riled up.  Enthusiasm on this forum is high.  And infectious!  :o

Dan

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Another source for Pickering mangos
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
Been going nuts reading about the Pickering mango, so Friday dropped everything and ran down to Palm City.  The Martin hwy has a bunch of nurseries and the 2nd one had PM's.  I got a Pickering planted in a 15 gal Jackpot.  There were 2 more available.  Thanks to guys like Anikulapo for getting me all riled up.  Enthusiasm on this forum is high.  And infectious!  :o

My Pickering about 5ft high planted last year --  They like to put on a show. As far as setting fruit. Many (most?) will drop off

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »
The Pickering is one of my favorite mango varieties. I have a Pickering tree that was planted about three years ago. Last season was the first time it carried any fruit and it produced over 30 mangos and that was on a tree less then five feet tall! This year its about a foot taller and is loaded with small fruits, I'm guessing (hoping) that I'll have double the fruit it had last season. I like the variety so much I planted another one out last fall.   

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »
Nice pics.  Pickering sounds like a winner.

Can I obtain some scionwood from either of you once my Ataulfo/Manila/Champagne seedlings become pencil-thick?

Andrew78

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »
Hi guys,
Looks like Pickering is a real winner. I have been trying to decided on a 3rd mango variety that I could grow in a pot. I have heard planty about how this variety is a great candidate for potted culture.

Swrancher,
Awesome pic of your Pickering! If you could get around 30 fruits off a tree that's under 5ft tall, than I should have no problem with still getting a bunch of fruits on a potted tree.  From what I remember the flavor is described as coconut and pineapple. What's your opinion, and does it have any tartness to it(is the tartness what people call the "twang"?

Thanks,
Andrew

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2012, 07:50:28 PM »
PIckering is a very tasty mango with a nice sweet mango taste, but I dont really detect much of a coconut or pineapple flavor to it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »
PIckering is a very tasty mango with a nice sweet mango taste, but I dont really detect much of a coconut or pineapple flavor to it.
I have tasted a slight coconut/tropical nuance, no pineapple.  If you want a true coconut flavor in your mango, you'll need to go with Gary, Pina Colada or Coconut Cream.
- Rob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »
holy cow, TONY.... now you're just abusing the little tree  ;D ;D ;D   Completely fenced off from all your chickens too?

G - great job scaling the tree size, just throw a yardstick in it  ;D
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Viva Pickering
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »
Taken last night by a fire I burned...this pickering should have ripe fruits within weeks!  It has10 holing on strong...and I love how the leaves sometimes decide to get huge!!!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »
hi, :D
soon be ready to eat. ;)

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
Wow guys great thread! I've heard from CoPlantNut(Keving) that pickering was a real winner, especially for container culture. I didn't see anyone mention at what age they start producing fruit. I'd guess 2nd or 3rd year from what some of you have posted up? Also, what size container are you all growing them in? 10gal? Larger?

-Luke

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »
Wow guys great thread! I've heard from CoPlantNut(Keving) that pickering was a real winner, especially for container culture. I didn't see anyone mention at what age they start producing fruit. I'd guess 2nd or 3rd year from what some of you have posted up? Also, what size container are you all growing them in? 10gal? Larger?

-Luke
To be safe, I would say starting in the third year.  Keep in mind, it is a slower grower than most other mangoes.  You should have no problem fruiting it in a 15 gal or 25 gal,
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:29:31 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
Aniku - killer production on such a small tree...I think mine is about the same size as yours but like 6 weeks behind.....so
the jury's still out....viva Pickering, indeed!

mangomandan - where is your mango handler?   LOL

fango

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
Awesome pickering pictures you guys!

Do you guys bear root your mango trees before you repot them? Or do you just pot them up to a bigger pot and add more good draining mix around them.

I killed my Pickering shortly after I bare rooted the plant. I think there were other factors involved to its demise...the roots looked like it had issues from some root rot and it just went down hill shortly after.

I think "if" I do get another one...I might NOT bare root it this time...I've done my Glenn with NO problems but can't seem to get it right with this last pickering **sigh**

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »
Awesome pickering pictures you guys!

Do you guys bear root your mango trees before you repot them? Or do you just pot them up to a bigger pot and add more good draining mix around them.

I killed my Pickering shortly after I bare rooted the plant. I think there were other factors involved to its demise...the roots looked like it had issues from some root rot and it just went down hill shortly after.

I think "if" I do get another one...I might NOT bare root it this time...I've done my Glenn with NO problems but can't seem to get it right with this last pickering **sigh**
I don't bare root any plants for repotting but then again I do not use any funky potting mix either.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »

G - great job scaling the tree size, just throw a yardstick in it  ;D

Very astute observation Tim.....two yardsticks (one obscured by glare) and the vertical one is sitting on a (unseen) bucket so the Pickering is really about five and a half feet high. Many fruits have dropped off since that photo was taken 7 days ago. The Pickering is thinning itself out. All kinds of hardware and appliance stores used to give out yardsticks it was great advertising. Now you gotta pay the cheap ba###ds like Home Depot

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2012, 11:51:31 PM »
Yikes! I only have 2 mangoes left on my Pickering tree. All the others have fallen off. I hope the last 2 fruits will stay on until ripe.

Tomas

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2012, 11:57:28 PM »
Tomas,

If u don't have any that stay, I will send u one!

I have quite a few, hopefully ripening by early May.

The dang wind blew off one of my Pitangatuba fruits!!

It was just barely starting to turn yellow...I wonder if it will ripen somewhat?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
My baby Pickerings too have done a remarkable job of self-thinning.  :(

I'm hoping to buy or trade for a few.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »

My Pickering about 5ft high planted last year --  They like to put on a show. As far as setting fruit. Many (most?) will drop off

I see now what you mean.  It had 9 fruit when I bought it.  Today two.  I gotta taste at least one this year.  Arrrrgh!

Dan
Dan