Author Topic: Viva Pickering  (Read 20992 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Viva Pickering
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »
Ahh yes, good point. Irrelevant for me too, but not so much so with the general public. Funnily they start off so pretty with that burgundy color then switch over to green.

What more could you ask for in a mango?

Color, for someone growing it for small-scale commercial purposes. Of course this trait is irrelevant to me personally but some customers tend to pick out the pretty ones unless educated from experience.
Jeff  :-)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »
Alex

You could plant out a few hundred Pickering seeds in your back 40.  One of them might grow into the holy grail of mangos.    I'm willing to eat the mangos and save you the seeds, if that will help.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:46:06 AM by mangomandan »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 12:37:43 AM »
Tomas,

Its easy to tell which mangos will stay and which will need to be thinned or fall off
The bad ones always get a tiny tinge of yellow, like rot.  The healthy ones swell up fast and get red green colored, with no yellow at all.

Also. I hold panicles and flick them, sending rotten or poor fruits flying, and leaving healthy fruits still attached.  The healthy ones won't be shaken off by wind or flicking, too easily, but sickly fruits can.

After removing all yellow and sickly fruits from my tree,I still have 16-18 nice mangos growing!!  I should be eating them in mid April..this is way ahead of shedule, I usually get them in June!!

I'm not complaining though... My smaller Pickering has loads of tiny fruit set to, so maybe I'll get some late pickerings to!

Hope u get a bunch on your tree!  How many gallons? How old and tall??

Hi Anikulapo,

> Counted about 20 mangoes on my Pickering.

I counted my mango buds tonight - 64 of them. But I know most of them will fall off. I am just all gitty about it. It my first Pickering tree.

Tomas
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:39:19 AM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »
Hi Anikulapo,

I am not really sure how old my Pickering is. I would have to ask Jeff Hagen. I would say perhaps 5  ft tall.

Tomas

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:23:57 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »
Why be your mangoes so big? I have several in pots and they are like 1/10 that size.

My pickering tree is getting close to ripening some fruits!  I'm pretty sure growing in a pot has put me way ahead of most other mango growers in FL...another advantage to container growing!  I may be first to post on forum, FL mango harvest...??...maybe not.

I took some pics of my largest Pickering...It has 10 mangoes on it that look like they might ripen (if they don't get knocked off!).

I got all up underneath the tree and snapped the photo, so u could see the tree without having all of the other trees in the background, making the tree have no contrast, and so u could see all the mangoes.

I like the shot because it kind of messes with your perspective, and looks to me like 30 ft mango tree, with 8ft leaves, and 4ft fruit! LOL  That would be an amazing tree!  For now I will have to settle for this little amazing tree!

The mango that's ripe, is from the same tree with 10mangoes, just from a few years ago. 

Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:23:45 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »
OMG!!! I'm salivating! That previous pic looks like its ready to eat tomorrow morning!!!! Awesome, enjoy your fruits!!!
I have so much to wait.....
Here is a pic of my in ground 2 days ago. I just thinned it today and it's still loaded.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
just to clarify again, the ripe fruit is from around 2yrs ago, and the tree loaded with green fruits is from this year.  (its confusing now to, because I posted another pickering tree I have, with smaller fruits on it, from this year as well).

I think I'll have pickerings to eat, and share with friends...in around 4weeks?? hopefully less!  I water everyday, just a little bit.... ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 09:07:16 PM »
Oh... Sorry I got distracted by the fruit dangling in my face!!! Well 4 wks is better than a couple more months or more  ;D

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
OK Captain!

I'm not trying to tell u how to run your ship, but I see quite a few mangoes that are going to rot!  If they are smaller/yellow/orange they need to come off now!  They suck energy from other mangoes, and will grow...even though they are destine to fall off, and have no seed!

If the mango is red/green, and growing larger than most others...it will stay....

If the mango is smaller, with any orange coloration, or yellowing...especially on the side of the mango with the dimple...these will not fully form! and need to come off asap.

Although you have many mangoes I would still thin off, I think you'll have more mangoes than me this year!  Maybe around 15-20 if u play your cards right.

Good growing! :)

OMG!!! I'm salivating! That previous pic looks like its ready to eat tomorrow morning!!!! Awesome, enjoy your fruits!!!
I have so much to wait.....
Here is a pic of my in ground 2 days ago. I just thinned it today and it's still loaded.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:14:10 PM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
You are right! I thinned it today although it hurt so much to flick those babies out!
Still have a LOT, but I am sure as they grow some will still fall.  Last year I had one halfway there and it was gone :( I had 7 at the end of the season.  If I get at least 14 this year I'm a happy camper, plus I have 6 in the potted one that hopefully will give me 4, that one is ahead by 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for your feedback, it's always appreciated, especially since I am such a newbie with so much to learn!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »
OK Captain!

I'm not trying to tell u how to run your ship, but I see quite a few mangoes that are going to rot!  If they are smaller/yellow/orange they need to come off now!  They suck energy from other mangoes, and will grow...even though they are destine to fall off, and have no seed!

If the mango is red/green, and growing larger than most others...it will stay....

If the mango is smaller, with any orange coloration, or yellowing...especially on the side of the mango with the dimple...these will not fully form! and need to come off asap.

Although you have many mangoes I would still thin off, I think you'll have more mangoes than me this year!  Maybe around 15-20 if u play your cards right.

Good growing! :)

I don't know if it is actually necessary to pull the fruit off that is turning yellow. It seems that by them turning yellow it is a sign that the tree has already started to seal their connection from the tree and they will abscise on their own.

Anyone know for sure?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »
some fruits on my tree turned yellow, and had no seed, but kept growing.

I'm sure they'd eventually fall off, but its best to not encourage sickly mangoes amongst the healthy ones, and also to remove them as early as they can be detected, so they don't drain energy from healthy mangoes.

This is only my theory.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »
That is interesting.. How large did they get after turning yellow?

natsgarden123

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
Those mangos look so good-here is my tree, purchased from the Plant Sale.
The leaves are really big for its size.   :)

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 10:26:47 PM »

Some of the yellow fall off by shaking it a bit, others I wiggle just a bit an they fall off.  The yellows have no future :( in addition there is big size discrepancy between the yellows and the green/burgundy.  But some of those yellows hang around for a good week or more after turning yellow. It has so many that I just felt its right to give it a bit of relief by thinning. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »
About the size of a cadbury cream egg...and some smaller...

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »
Was probably mentioned already, but guessed i missed it, what is the parentage of this Pickering mango? Is it as dwarf as the Julie?
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2012, 07:21:15 AM »
Was probably mentioned already, but guessed i missed it, what is the parentage of this Pickering mango? Is it as dwarf as the Julie?
Oscar
From what I have seen, Pickering may be one of the smallest (dwarfed) of the mango varieties.  While I don't know what the oldest Pickering is, I would say it may be smaller than Julie.  I believe there is another thread on this site about the Pickering and its size.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
Pickering regularly thins itself....as do all mangoes.  I think it seems a little more dramatic on Pickering as the trees are small and the fruit set are so numerous.  You don't have to flick them off...they will drop off on their own and I do not think that they continue to get nutrient from the plant once they turn yellow, but I have no proof of that.  My tree still matures much fruit for the size of the tree but actually will lose the vast majority of the original fruits set.  Remember, if one fruit sets on each branch, that is a huge crop for any tree and expecially huge for a small tree like Pickering.  Intial fruit set on Pickering is always a multiple number on each pannicle and multiple pannicles on each branch.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »
Pickering regularly thins itself....as do all mangoes.  I think it seems a little more dramatic on Pickering as the trees are small and the fruit set are so numerous.  You don't have to flick them off...they will drop off on their own and I do not think that they continue to get nutrient from the plant once they turn yellow, but I have no proof of that.  My tree still matures much fruit for the size of the tree but actually will lose the vast majority of the original fruits set.  Remember, if one fruit sets on each branch, that is a huge crop for any tree and expecially huge for a small tree like Pickering.  Intial fruit set on Pickering is always a multiple number on each pannicle and multiple pannicles on each branch.

Harry

I'm sure  you have posted it before but what are the dimensions and age of your Pickering and whats the largest one you have seen? thanks! I have a young Pickering and it sure puts on a show as far getting panicle blooms pollinated and turning into little fruits. Even though 75% (just a guess) of the 1/4" size eventually drop off
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:13:27 PM by zands »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »
As I posted before, some mangoes that were yellow continued to grow.  If the tree is small and/or in a pot, it will be easy to go ahead and remove them.  Leaving them wil drain energy into these worthless fruits, which will be good breeding grounds for pathogens like anthracnose.  In my opinion the earlier u can spot and thin out the mangoes that need to be removed the better. 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
As I posted before, some mangoes that were yellow continued to grow.  If the tree is small and/or in a pot, it will be easy to go ahead and remove them.  Leaving them wil drain energy into these worthless fruits, which will be good breeding grounds for pathogens like anthracnose.  In my opinion the earlier u can spot and thin out the mangoes that need to be removed the better.

Thanks much..... gonna do that on my Pickering and see about it on my other trees. "You gotta be cruel to be kind"

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
I've never experienced yellowed Pickerings continuing to grow.  It may be that I am not observant enough to make my lack of experience meaningful.  There is a lot going on to distract me from such observations.  In any case, I do agree that the yellowed fruit is better off than on.  That way there is no possible way that they can draw any of the trees strength away.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA