Author Topic: Maha Chanok grafting attempts  (Read 5443 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Maha Chanok grafting attempts
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »
Last month on this very date, I was given a LONG Maha Chanok scion of around 8-10 inches in length by Simon (simon_grow).  Due to its suddenness and in my ill-prepared state, I attempted to graft with what was available at hand... 2 attempts with t-budding and 1 veneer. 

I unwrapped all three last night to check after noticing mold on the two t-buds.  Sure enough one of it was all brown so I declared it dead!!!  The second t-bud looked like it's half way there... see pics below (it was a sloppy cut...I know :-[)  less the very top, everything below is still green but I don't think this will take either.

Lastly, the side veneer with terminal bud (inflo that didn't hold fruit so Simon broke it off).  It's grafted about 2.5ft above soil level with another foot above which I tip pruned.  It's still as green as the day I grafted it, looks more promising though it still doesn't mean much.  I also noticed it's trying to branch out where it got snipped, should I let it branch out while waiting for the scion to push or prune it back some more & closer to the scion to get more sap flow into the scion?

Oh yea, this is the sports knife I used to make all those cuttings....  ;D ;D ;D  terribly thick blade

Tim

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Maha Chanok grafting attempts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:35:02 AM »
hmmmm.....Tim.....that side veneer does look promising. I think it's amazing
that you did as good as you did considering the time of year and the caveman
tools you used!   With the proper equipment and a better time of year, I think you could
have a new career!!!!!!!!!!

Mine have all been all utter failures....no Californians seem to have the secret down
yet....oh well....some day I predict.....

Fang

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »
hey Gdog, Caveman tools would pretty much sum that up  ;D  but I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed so we'll see.  New career? hahaha it's going to take me 50 more years at this going rate
Tim

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
Good job Tim. 
Adiel

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
What about Mr. L.L. Bucklew, of Encinitas, CA? ! didn't he have it down?   

Maybe he just grew them, but being an old timer, I"m sure he grafted.

I'm surprised someone isn't dominating CA with mangos...like Zill is here. 

Try to perfect the inverted "T" bud method.

hmmmm.....Tim.....that side veneer does look promising. I think it's amazing
that you did as good as you did considering the time of year and the caveman
tools you used!   With the proper equipment and a better time of year, I think you could
have a new career!!!!!!!!!!

Mine have all been all utter failures....no Californians seem to have the secret down
yet....oh well....some day I predict.....

Fang
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
Dear Ani - Mango fever is only recent here in Southern California.  Yes, there were a isolated few that really went into it all out, but we don't have the Dr. Crane's or Mango Festivals or whatever to promote really any kind of tropical fruit interest.  I wish we did.  Plus our weather is not quite as favorable as So. Florida's, though there would be some of my colleagues that disagree...but we really do get rather cool nights that slow down the overall growth of  our plants compared to those in Florida.....BUT....we don't have the anthracnose problems and those other humidity-related diseases....very dry most of the time, and we think IDEAL for growing very flavorful mangos..... ::)

FangoMan

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »
Nice job/good luck Tim, it looks promising!

=Ethan

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes, guys. 

Any recommendation as to topping the root stock any lower?
Tim

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 04:22:23 AM »
Hey Tim, sorry to hear about your two failed T buds.  That side veneer does look promising but if you got mold on your failed T budding sites, there is a good chance there are lots of spores in the vicinity of your side veneer graft.  When I innarched my manilla mango onto my Maha Chanok, I topped both plants to get the juices flowing.  I also made sure to sterilize my knife periodically and also cleaned both plants really well before my grafting attempt. 

Leo Manuel from the CRFG San Diego chapter lives really close to me and he has lots of mango plants and is a very nice guy.  I wonder if he can give us some lessons in grafting? 

I believe it has been a little over a month since I innarched my plants and new branches are popping through my parrafilm on both my Manilla Mango and my Maha Chanok.  I'm going to wait another month or so before checking to see if my graft takes.  I have very low hopes since this is my first attempt at innarching and I made many mistakes on this first attempt.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that your side veneer graft takes.  Keep us updated on how it does 8)
Simon

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: maha chanok grafting attempts
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
The veneer graft is officially dead  :'(    the scion was green, plump and healthy looking up until about three days ago.  It's now completely black and dead.  Guess it's time for me to invest in better than caveman tools  ;D
Tim

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:48 AM »
Tim, I hope your veneer graft takes it. I went nuts in practicing my grafting lack of skills with Cleft, Veneer, Bark, and t-budding of roses, guavas, chrimoya, plums, apple. Will see how it goes. Some Roses, Guavas, and Cherimoya look promising, but I am not removing any tape.

This damn So. Cal weather is killing me. Today it got very cold again and on Saturday we will hit 80's. My grafts are going thru motions I guess.

I am still waiting for Maha Chanok Scions from MangoDog sometime this month when he prunes.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:38:34 AM »
The scion was viable and the graft actually healed.  But for some reason it turned black.  I removed part of the tree where the graft was made, cut it open for closer examination and sure enough, they fused together.  Must have been equipments not being 100% clean?
Tim

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
Tim, didnt realize in post above that your veneer graft was lost too. its hard to find this scion wood.  On another note, I am not an expert but from reading several grafting techniques, most talk abut doing T-budding in mangoes. I am going to try that once I get my hands on it. On your bud graft, I dont see flaps of bark of root stock covering your scion wood. Would that help.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »
I recently had the chance to talk briefly with Jim Nietzel, a longtime rare fruit grower from the San Diego area, on the topic of mango grafting.  He has done a lot of grafting and mango growing, and has written articles on the subject for Fruit Gardener (the CRFG magazine).  He told me that his preferred approach is the whip and tongue graft, but that after taping the graft, he puts a damp paper towel in a plastic bag, which he then secures over the graft to prevent dessication.  Next he covers the bag with a paper bag to shield the graft from the sun.  After the scion is pushing growth, he said he removes the plastic bag and puts the paper bag back in place a little longer, until the graft is better established.  One other suggestion he offered was that scions that are swelling and about to flush when they're cut have a much better success rate.
James