Author Topic: Pink Mammoth Atemoya yield and pollination  (Read 3047 times)

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
Pink Mammoth Atemoya yield and pollination
« on: April 13, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
I am planning to buy a large 30 gallon pink Mammoth Atemoya that already has fruits on it. I have fairly good yield from my Geffner and it does not need hand pollination. I hear the Pink Mammoth is larger and sweeter than the Geffner but needs hand pollination. Some other reports suggest that the Pink Mammoth performs poorly in Florida. Considering that this going to be expensive (around $300)  and my space is limited, I want to make sure I am making the right choice. What are the drawbacks of the Pink Mammoth and what would be the best pick for Orlando? Opinions of the experts here are greatly appreciated.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Re: Pink Mammoth Atemoya yield and pollination
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 06:15:12 PM »
Can’t speak for performance there sorry and definitely not an expert but yes they are one to hand pollinate.

This may interest you (edit: added link to all sections. Cultivar and rootstock info is in the *key issues* section) - http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/1653/

It’s old but compares PM to Geffner very favourably (look at the flavor table after cultivars) but does talk about fruit set issues and the need for hand pollination. Also says that Geffner performs better in warmer climates, but I don’t know if your area is significantly warmer than here. Looked up averages and looks a bit warmer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:43:47 PM by Ulfr »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 07:27:58 PM »
From what I am understanding there are two different pink mammoths.
Where is the tree coming from? If it is coming from Florida that seller may
have the best information as far as hand pollinating and care. I grafted a scion
last year and have a small pink mammoth that is flushing new growth now. I put it
in the ground a month ago and so far so good. Forum member  Vermented is 1-2
years ahead of most of us with some of newer atemoyas in Florida. Lisa has been
a very good tree for me. No hand pollinating and I really like the Berry flavor.
Dream and Tim have produced well for me also. There are some proven types
for Florida why Pink Mammoth? 

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 09:58:33 PM »
Can’t speak for performance there sorry and definitely not an expert but yes they are one to hand pollinate.

This may interest you (edit: added link to all sections. Cultivar and rootstock info is in the *key issues* section) - http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/1653/

It’s old but compares PM to Geffner very favourably (look at the flavor table after cultivars) but does talk about fruit set issues and the need for hand pollination. Also says that Geffner performs better in warmer climates, but I don’t know if your area is significantly warmer than here. Looked up averages and looks a bit warmer.

Thank you. That article had very useful information and was well written too from a business perspective.

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:06:57 PM »
From what I am understanding there are two different pink mammoths.
Where is the tree coming from? If it is coming from Florida that seller may
have the best information as far as hand pollinating and care. I grafted a scion
last year and have a small pink mammoth that is flushing new growth now. I put it
in the ground a month ago and so far so good. Forum member  Vermented is 1-2
years ahead of most of us with some of newer atemoyas in Florida. Lisa has been
a very good tree for me. No hand pollinating and I really like the Berry flavor.
Dream and Tim have produced well for me also. There are some proven types
for Florida why Pink Mammoth?

The lady who gets me the trees has likely picked it up from a nursery in the Homestead area of South Florida. The one she has available is in a 30 gal container, about 10 ft tall and must at least be 5 years old. It should save me a lot of time to grow and I hear the yield increases as the tree matures. Hope a mature tree yields enough fruits without hand pollination.
I hear there are other good varieties in the Miami area but I have to rent a truck to bring a tree back to Orlando. That would make it super expensive. Hence, I have to settle for what is available here.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 10:12:52 PM »
Are you planting it in the ground?

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:34:39 PM »

Yes, I amend the soil a bit and plant it in the ground.
I like my Gefner. I hear the Pinks Mammoth is sweeter, bigger and has lesser seeds.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 11:16:04 PM »
Please keep the forum informed how your tree performs.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 09:06:37 AM »

I like my Gefner. I hear the Pinks Mammoth is sweeter, bigger and has lesser seeds.

Pinks Mammoth, with an "s" on pink, is correct.  It is named after someone's surname.
Har

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
Isn't KJ Pinks, or Paxton's Prolific, which came from Pinks Mammoth, the variety that doesn't require hand pollination?
John

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 10:29:24 AM »
Isn't KJ Pinks, or Paxton's Prolific, which came from Pinks Mammoth, the variety that doesn't require hand pollination?

It’s one of them yes. I had to thin my young one this year because it overproduced without pollination.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 06:48:55 PM »

One of the links mentions Maroochy Red. I've previously read about Maroochy Gold, but never Maroochy Red.

Do you have more information about this cultivar?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 08:08:03 PM »

One of the links mentions Maroochy Red. I've previously read about Maroochy Gold, but never Maroochy Red.

It's a new annona hybrid from an Australian breeding program. I don't even know if it's released yet.
Look up "Australian red custard apple" and you should find some articles.
Not much into on the specific variety but they do have pictures.

Note: Australians say custard apple in the US we say atemoya.

joeventra1

• Australia, NSW, Green valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 08:16:03 PM »
I believe these may be the maroochy red or another red atemoya ehich has become available commercially in Aus

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 08:26:47 PM »

It's a new annona hybrid from an Australian breeding program. I don't even know if it's released yet.
Look up "Australian red custard apple" and you should find some articles.
Not much into on the specific variety but they do have pictures.

Note: Australians say custard apple in the US we say atemoya.

Those new selections will hopefully be available in the future but no maroochy red and gold are older. That info pack is from 1998 and obviously doesn’t include any of the newer stuff.

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 10:32:33 PM »

As the Pinks Mammoth tree matures and reaches 10 years or so, can we expect a decent yield without hand pollination or does it require hand pollination 100% for any fruit to set?

Serge Annona Magnifera

• US, FL, Palm Beach County, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 08:34:42 PM »

Hi @Orlando Goundan - Is it possible to share your experience in the event that you did get the tree?