Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 62352 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2022, 04:21:06 PM »
Now is a great time to graft if you have scions with buds. My in ground trees are pushing hard as the weather warms up.

I have not grafted onto Pennsylvanica yet but I’ve grafted grafts we’re successful on Rubra, Cerifera and Californica.

Simon

Itay Gazit

• san jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 27, 2022, 04:05:46 PM »

Since acquiring the yangmei's, they were just outdoors underneath the calamondin.. i didnt want to give them special care them by wrapping with buddy tape and or in a GH. Since im always busy..im like if They die, they die.. so far 1 an hai & 1 male started to sprout considering they are on a very cold spot during the night & my area has very low humidity.

More power to yangmei growers.

FYI,

I lost all my 1G grafted Yangmei's, however the two 3G I have are still alive.

I think that the Yangmei's plants need:
- Moderate roots temperature
- At least 6 hours of sunlight
- Dry out between watering

Itay

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 27, 2022, 11:02:10 PM »
Grafted Yangmei on 5g Myrica californica

My best looking 1gs

Other 1gs that are still alive, many are pushing growth now. I would put my plants into Cactus mix next time to enhance drainage. They definitely don't like getting too wet as bareroots.

Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 04, 2022, 05:34:00 PM »
It looks like my plants have stabilized. I’ve had them under my misting system up to this point. Has anyone had success moving them outside? I’m trying to decide if I should have them in full shade, or under a 30% reduction shade cloth. What have been your experiences attempting to harden these off?

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 04, 2022, 06:49:13 PM »
It looks like my plants have stabilized. I’ve had them under my misting system up to this point. Has anyone had success moving them outside? I’m trying to decide if I should have them in full shade, or under a 30% reduction shade cloth. What have been your experiences attempting to harden these off?

Nicely done! How many look good and how many trees did you start with?

Reedo

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2022, 12:33:31 PM »

Nicely done! How many look good and how many trees did you start with?

I started with seven, one of each variety (females only). Six are looking pretty good, while one is looking chlorotic. I’ve treated with the nematode treatment you recommended, and have given them a little fertilizer. So far, no response in leaf color on the one that’s looking a little stressed. I’m going to try a little diluted liquid kelp foliar spray and see if that helps. Any advice on hardening them off outdoors?

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 05, 2022, 01:54:31 PM »
Reedo,

I've found that it's important to transition them from higher humidity protected conditions to outdoor conditions gradually.  I live in a pretty mild, humid microclimate and the week I moved a couple that I thought were ready outdoors to a shady spot, we got drying winds and the leaves dried out and plants did not recover.  I think it can be deceiving that the plants are established and ready to go outside even without much root growth if they are growing under humid protected conditions.  I would not rush it.  I have noticed cuttings (not Yangmei) can have new growth for weeks without any roots.  When I move my plants outside, I put them in a shady spot under other trees and a banana plant for increased humidity.  The thing you have to watch out for when you put them outside are tiny caterpillars that will eat tender new growth, I check daily. Nice that most of your plants have made it.  Good luck.

Janet

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2022, 03:28:22 PM »

I’ve hardened many of my grafted trees to full sun. Do it gradually because the new grafts are sensitive to drying out and if you’re coming from a greenhouse, shade house or artificial lighting, the UV shock can kill them easily. 

Once they start growing vigorously, they can transition to full sun faster because the vigorous growth indicates the root system is recovered and also that the graft union has sufficiently healed.

Simon

Reedo

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2022, 04:09:33 PM »
Reedo,

I've found that it's important to transition them from higher humidity protected conditions to outdoor conditions gradually.  I live in a pretty mild, humid microclimate and the week I moved a couple that I thought were ready outdoors to a shady spot, we got drying winds and the leaves dried out and plants did not recover.  I think it can be deceiving that the plants are established and ready to go outside even without much root growth if they are growing under humid protected conditions.  I would not rush it.  I have noticed cuttings (not Yangmei) can have new growth for weeks without any roots.  When I move my plants outside, I put them in a shady spot under other trees and a banana plant for increased humidity.  The thing you have to watch out for when you put them outside are tiny caterpillars that will eat tender new growth, I check daily. Nice that most of your plants have made it.  Good luck.

Janet

Thanks for the info, Janet. That was helpful. My main reason for moving them out of the greenhouse is that it’s passive, I noticed when it got up into the 80’s inside, the leaves really started to suffer, despite the misting and higher humidity. I moved them outside under shade cloth, and sheltered by a potting table. Fingers crossed!

~Reed

Reedo

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »

I’ve hardened many of my grafted trees to full sun. Do it gradually because the new grafts are sensitive to drying out and if you’re coming from a greenhouse, shade house or artificial lighting, the UV shock can kill them easily. 

Once they start growing vigorously, they can transition to full sun faster because the vigorous growth indicates the root system is recovered and also that the graft union has sufficiently healed.

Simon

Thanks Simon!

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 05, 2022, 08:22:14 PM »
4/5 of my plants are either alive, pushing or leafed out. DK male and Black Carbon female leafed out quickly. WuSu female buds dried out, but still green under the bark. And just last week, DK female started pushing green buds. Interesting that with that same soil and location, DK male leafed out 4 months before DK female. Crystal is the only one that didn't make it, but I'll keep it around in case the rootstock takes over. I had them in a greenhouse against a west facing wall that gets unprotected late sun. I don't think they cared for that very much. I've up potted and moved them under full time shade cloth. Thanks again Bill/Amy/Joe! Hoping we can do another order this year

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2022, 10:17:32 PM »
Moved a bunch of my grafted yangmei outside about 4 or 5 days ago.  The ones in the front have this super sad droop going on, which I thought may be just because of a lack of wind in the hoop house theyve been in. But they look pretty unhappy. Almost thinking they just may not have been healed all the way on the graft? The ones in the back are rocking it, no damage or signs of slowing down.  We even had a day of incredible fog rain yesterday and thats really when I noticed the stress. So humidity wasn't helping their situation.

Front plants: Dong Kui and Biqi, back plants are both BC Black crystal or something? Don't quite remember

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:46:34 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 06, 2022, 11:34:24 PM »
Moved a bunch of my grafted yangmei outside about 4 or 5 days ago.  The ones in the front have this super sad droop going on, which I thought may be just because of a lack of wind in the hoop house theyve been in. But they look pretty unhappy. Almost thinking they just may not have been healed all the way on the graft? The ones in the back are rocking it, no damage or signs of slowing down.  We even had a day of incredible fog rain yesterday and thats really when I noticed the stress. So humidity wasn't helping their situation.

Front plants: Dong Kui and Biqi, back plants are both BC Black crystal or something? Don't quite remember

Nate,
Do you think they just go shocked from a quick transition? I’m sure the grafts would have healed by now? I’m glad you’re having success with grafting these!

I ended up throwing my trees from full shade to full sun and they didn’t slow down 1 bit.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2022, 11:44:51 PM »
Now that I think about it one of them was drooping in the greenhouse so I thought it might have been an issue of the plant not having enough turgidity so my thought was to move it outside to toughen it up. Seemed to continue its sadness, haha. 

Also, I'm importing a ton of Myrica esculenta in. I think they should be great candidates for rootstocks because they are more closely related. I already have 3 plants (~2 or 3  years old) and they have been super vigorous and much less sensitive than the yangmei seedlings.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »
Now that I think about it one of them was drooping in the greenhouse so I thought it might have been an issue of the plant not having enough turgidity so my thought was to move it outside to toughen it up. Seemed to continue its sadness, haha. 

Also, I'm importing a ton of Myrica esculenta in. I think they should be great candidates for rootstocks because they are more closely related. I already have 3 plants (~2 or 3  years old) and they have been super vigorous and much less sensitive than the yangmei seedlings.

Will you be offering any of the esculenta?

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 07, 2022, 01:25:37 PM »
Yep, ill be getting a large amount of seeds. So I might sell some seeds but mostly just plants
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 07, 2022, 03:33:08 PM »
Yep, ill be getting a large amount of seeds. So I might sell some seeds but mostly just plants

awesome, I am interested!!

Reedo

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 07, 2022, 03:36:28 PM »

Nice! Some of those are looking REALLY good. Any shade cloth, or are they in full sun? It looks like a couple of those are ready to go in the. ground. Nice work Nate!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 07, 2022, 03:48:21 PM »
They are under some oak trees and get sun from about 7-9am then 5 or so to sunset.  Hopefully gonns put em in the ground this week with some shade cages!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2022, 10:03:12 PM »
9 out 18. 1 out 3 multi grafted, the 2 whole seedlings dead.  They are out of the mist environment for 2 months.  Only morning sunlight.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 10:05:38 PM by pinkturtle »

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2022, 09:06:10 PM »
Ended up unwrapping the grafts on those plants posted earlier.  The ones that were suffering ultimately kicked the bucket and it seems like they just didn't really heal at all.  Pretty wild! The other two have super beautiful callouses and look like they should hold.  I have had a lot of grafts that were less vigorous fail recently as well. It seems like the M. californica rootstock would even die under the graft (about an inch of death) which ultimately may have resulted in the failure of the graft. 
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2022, 09:18:09 PM »
It seems like the M. californica rootstock would even die under the graft (about an inch of death) which ultimately may have resulted in the failure of the graft.

Same here.
1 out 3 grafted survived.  They were all had new buds and little branches, and looked good, but 2 of them suddenly death, included the rootstocks.  I still not able to figure out why.

Reedo

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2022, 10:00:49 PM »
Ended up unwrapping the grafts on those plants posted earlier.  The ones that were suffering ultimately kicked the bucket and it seems like they just didn't really heal at all.  Pretty wild! The other two have super beautiful callouses and look like they should hold.  I have had a lot of grafts that were less vigorous fail recently as well. It seems like the M. californica rootstock would even die under the graft (about an inch of death) which ultimately may have resulted in the failure of the graft.

I wonder if it's a less-than-ideal rootstock? I've never heard of so many talented grafters having so many failures?! Looking forward to your results with those new seeds coming in! Fingers crossed!

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 15, 2022, 04:49:18 PM »
Based on this website.
https://m.mydrivers.com/newsview/839261.html?ref=https%3A//www.google.com/
Yangmei cost 60 yuan, Chinese money almost $10 per fruit to Dubai. Soooo expensive.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 15, 2022, 05:36:04 PM »

I up potted my lone biqi survivor into a spicier soil mix. It seems to be doing ok. I lost my other biqi and regret not just cutting it up into branches and grafting to the Californica I have. I will cut the male up and graft when it gets over the transplant shock and boosts again. 

I was lucky try 1lb of yangmei fruit and it’s the real deal. One of the better rare fruits I tried with a near perfect balance of sweet, sour, bitter and very juicy. I get the hype now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk