Author Topic: Eugenia smithii as rootstock?  (Read 449 times)

eg

• israel
    • View Profile
Eugenia smithii as rootstock?
« on: June 13, 2022, 12:54:21 PM »
Can it be used for other eugina?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia smithii as rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 05:09:36 PM »
I am definitely not the expert on this forum bit IIRC Eugenia do not show the same cross-species ease in grafting that appears to be observed with many other genus-

I know of at least one anecdote where different varietals of CORG do not graft well and they are, presumably, the same species

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 05:44:07 PM »
Eugenia smithii. It has more recently been known as Acmena smithii for many years.
Recently the Australian Acmena species have been moved into Syzygum.
So this plant is now Syzygium smithii.
The only Australian Eugenia I can think of is Eugenia reinwardtiana, the Cedar Bay Cherry.
That plant is clearly not a Syzygium or Acmena.
Don't know how that would impact grafting compatibility, but the former E.smithii may not be too close to Eugenia species ??

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 06:35:21 PM »
I am definitely not the expert on this forum bit IIRC Eugenia do not show the same cross-species ease in grafting that appears to be observed with many other genus-

I know of at least one anecdote where different varietals of CORG do not graft well and they are, presumably, the same species

No problem grafting CORG cultivars: Ben's Beaut, ScottR's, onto my CORG from Exotica. Zero takes of calycina on CORG but Kevin Jones has been getting it done. I'll try grafting my orange eugenia onto my CORG eventually but it is flowering again so no slicing these days.

Each eugenia seems to be quite individual in its bark and growth habit so I am unsure of graft compatibility. I know FFF tried doing pitangatuba on pitanga and vice versa with no takes and pretty similar bark / fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk