Author Topic: Azomite-trace minerals  (Read 4332 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Azomite-trace minerals
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »
What's the most popular trace mineral supplement out there..I've heard of azomite, or (rock dust). I have never incorporated this type of supplement into my plants...I have heard it makes them more resistant to insect and fungal attacks and even makes the fruit taste better..Forgive me if this seems elementary but I never considered it until I started doing raised garden beds and had to basically construct my own soil for vegetables. If anyone uses it in So. Fla. who is your supplier...I just don't like mail ordering everything but haven't been able to locate any North of Miami.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Azomite-trace minerals
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »
What's the most popular trace mineral supplement out there..I've heard of azomite, or (rock dust). I have never incorporated this type of supplement into my plants...I have heard it makes them more resistant to insect and fungal attacks and even makes the fruit taste better..Forgive me if this seems elementary but I never considered it until I started doing raised garden beds and had to basically construct my own soil for vegetables. If anyone uses it in So. Fla. who is your supplier...I just don't like mail ordering everything but haven't been able to locate any North of Miami.

Can find azomite on ebay for a decent price.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »
Remineralize.org I think is the site. You can search for distributors in your area.  I have also heard LOTS of praise for "rock dust" improving plant health and vigor.

-Luke

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Remineralize.org I think is the site. You can search for distributors in your area.  I have also heard LOTS of praise for "rock dust" improving plant health and vigor.

-Luke

You can get your own rock dust if you live near a gravel crushing operation that uses granite to make the gravel. I did this once a while ago. They will be happy to have you cart away some. Unfortunately for us in Florida there is zero granite and zero clay for that matter. Maybe in the far North of Fl there is some.

Sometimes you them crushing rock at a place that send out cement mixing truck.

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
yes, but from what i have heard, these particules are usually too large. the azomite and similar is ground to a powder. Plus they are glacial rock that have a very wide spectrum of trace minerals. much more than from a quarry. But your results may vary of course.

-Luke

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
yes, but from what i have heard, these particules are usually too large. the azomite and similar is ground to a powder. Plus they are glacial rock that have a very wide spectrum of trace minerals. much more than from a quarry. But your results may vary of course.

-Luke

This is what I heard also...the particles would be too large..That is why I was told azomite is the way to go...I saw it on ebay..I would just rather support a local business..

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:47:53 PM »

-Luke

This is what I heard also...the particles would be too large..That is why I was told azomite is the way to go...I saw it on ebay..I would just rather support a local business..

Here is something on finding a source of local rock dust
http://remineralize.org/a-rock-dust-primer

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »
Seaweed Extract would also give more bang-for-the-buck than having to pay for rock dust plus shipping, and Seaweed gives the widest spectrum of known essential nutrients and useful nutrients, plus everything else that who knows whether it can be used.  Seaweed also contains vitamins and growth-regulators useful to plants, that you would never get from rocks.

But if you have a cheap, convenient source of rock dust, by all means use it.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk