Author Topic: Looking for Jonathan Apples  (Read 933 times)

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
Looking for Jonathan Apples
« on: August 15, 2021, 10:59:53 PM »
I know this may be a somewhat odd request for this forum, but do any of the more northern US members have a source for me to order true Jonathan apples? I have been unable to find them locally for years and it's my favorite eating apple. The best I've had came from Virginia, and some really good ones from Michigan.
The hybridized apples in grocery stores here in Florida are absolutely bland and tasteless.

If anyone knows where I can mail order some of these great apples please let me know. Thanks!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jonathan Apples
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 09:21:10 AM »
Have you tried Sprouts Farmers Market?  They have stores in your area, and always have a big selection of apples in season.  I'd talk to the manager of your nearest store.  Maybe he can order them.  But now that you mention it, I don't think I've seen Jonathan apples anywhere for several years, and you're right, so many apples grown now seem to be about looks only.  And that's ridiculous.  Apples, like mangos, should be all about flavor and not looks!  Heirloom apples usually seem to be the most flavorful. I guess you've done an online search?  https://riveridgeproduce.com/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:22:36 PM by johnb51 »
John

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 04:20:39 PM »
Thanks for the link - I sent them a message asking if they could retail a box or two my way. I'll check with Sprouts too.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 06:25:28 PM »
Thanks for the link - I sent them a message asking if they could retail a box or two my way. I'll check with Sprouts too.
Anyway, maybe they can advise you.  Other than WA, I would imagine the other states that grow the most commercial apples are MI and NY.  I'm sure you can find what you're looking for, but it may take a little detective work.  We're probably at least a month away from peak apple harvest.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:29:25 PM by johnb51 »
John

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 11:08:41 PM »
I would love to get some too.
That picture and description on Riveridge is NOT a true Jonathan. Jonathan is a small apple that is usually up to a third green in color.  I think their website is talking about Jonared, an inferior tasting offspring.
I would ship a box of tropical fruit in trade for the real thing in the future...
 Jonathan is the most mouth watering fruit I have ever tasted. Been close to 20 years since I have seen them at stores.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 11:16:09 PM »
Part of the problem with finding heirloom apple varieties is that the apple industry has switched to labeling new apple varieties under "marketing groups." New apples are sold to consumers under an existing heirloom apple name because the new apple is "significantly similar." However, the new variety is NOT the heirloom variety and in my experience is not nearly as similar as the marketing people want us to think. For example Winesap is my favorite apple. I bought some apples labeled 'Winesap' only to discover that none of the fruits had the characteristic red veins in the flesh. They also did not taste like Winesap and quickly lost almost all flavor. I think part of the other issue is the movement away from softer apples to rock hard things that don't bruise in shipping.

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 11:22:48 PM »
You are correct - the market powers that be want commercial shipping and shelf life over quality and flavor. Same with many hybrids especially tomatoes and other produce items. I guess that's one reason why so many of us grow our own fruits and vegetables.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 09:28:11 AM »
Lots of u-pick places in various states, but I don't see shipping.  A few apple growers in Alabama and Georgia that you could drive to if you wanted to make an overnight trip.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 12:26:49 PM by johnb51 »
John