Author Topic: Can mango panicles spring directly from/following pruning? (see pic)  (Read 1347 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
My understanding is there will need to be new stem/branch growth following any pruning before I can expect a panicle from said stem/branch, so any new growth I see directly after pruning cannot be flowers. Is that the correct understanding?

My Lemon Zest branch prompting the question is below. It was pruned just a little late and is pushing currently. I’m telling myself there’s no way it’ll be panicles, but the growth looks so promising…

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 10:44:00 AM by JakeFruit »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Can mango panicles spring directly from/following pruning? (see pic)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 08:53:30 PM »
They look like normal buds to me. Post again in January will be interested to see.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 10:39:07 PM »
To answer your question, mango buds can go directly to bloom without an intervening vegative flush. This frequently happens with airlayered mango branches that built up high levels of sugars and plant hormones.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 10:08:56 AM »
To answer your question, mango buds can go directly to bloom without an intervening vegative flush. This frequently happens with airlayered mango branches that built up high levels of sugars and plant hormones.
Well that's awesome to learn, thanks!
Lots of knobby spikes suddenly appearing on most branches; I'm thinking the recent warm weather means it'll mostly be vegetative growth, but Rosa and Duncan are definitely pushing panicles. Sweet Tart, Guava and Sugar Loaf aren't pushing anything at all, which seems unusual (they are usually the first to push new growth).

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 12:22:32 PM »
I don't think mangoes are typically "air layered." Probably meant grafts.

It takes a while for leaves and inflorescence to develop and pop. If you have buds popping immediately after pruning, they were already there prior to pruning.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »
I've air-layered a few mango branches over the last few seasons; it works, just not as quick and easy as grafting and you need to put some time into selecting the right branch.

I did a heavy pruning in mid-August (~I think~), so it's been a few months since it happened. I'm taking pics of all the pushes, hopefully a few will turn out to be panicles.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »
I don't think mangoes are typically "air layered." Probably meant grafts.

It takes a while for leaves and inflorescence to develop and pop. If you have buds popping immediately after pruning, they were already there prior to pruning.

I did indeed mean air layering. While it is not typical, I have done it with success on some varieties. The successful layers bloomed profusely and then bloomed twice more after having the panicle removed. Thus, the first 3 flushes were bloom after being pruned and cut from the tree. I don't think it would be the same with grafting because the accumulation of sugars and hormones is not as high.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 09:11:58 PM »
Apologies for my incorrect assumption, and I salute you for succeeding in air layering mango. Very cool.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 09:21:44 PM »
Apologies for my incorrect assumption, and I salute you for succeeding in air layering mango. Very cool.

It was kindof an experiment to hedge against freezes here. All of the old lychee trees around town have good fruit, but 9 out of 10 mango trees don't. I always assumed it was because frequent freezes had killed the trees back to the roots. Valencia Pride seemed to root fairly well. Nam Doc Mai was a total failure. The VP tree is growing well and held fruit last year.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »
OP, I believe they can but that's not what those buds look like to me.

You can airlayer mango.  In my experience they are not very vigorous early, though then can pick up the pace later.  I planted a seedling next to an airlayered mango so that I could approach graft them to make a second root for the tree.  I ended up keeping both as they were and grafted a couple of nice varieties on the seedling.  Both trees are about the same height now and I believe the seedling tree will get thicker and grow better in the long run.

The airlayered tree fruited early though, and it was a fun thing to do. 

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 09:45:02 AM »
Yeah, they most like aren't, just had me wondering on the topic/possibility they could be (without a prior vegetative flush).

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 05:17:00 PM »
My understanding is there will need to be new stem/branch growth following any pruning before I can expect a panicle from said stem/branch, so any new growth I see directly after pruning cannot be flowers. Is that the correct understanding?

My Lemon Zest branch prompting the question is below. It was pruned just a little late and is pushing currently. I’m telling myself there’s no way it’ll be panicles, but the growth looks so promising…

So, is what's pictured growth buds or bloom buds? I have the same pointed nodules on my Maha Chanock and lately they've gotten bigger.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 09:27:01 AM »
They haven't sprung yet, but they are looking vegetative. I'll update if they surprise me.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 06:28:21 PM »
Here's what's on my mango tree. These look like a flush of growth to me.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 10:35:02 AM »
They look promising from what I know; there's a good chance those could be panicles (you'll probably know for sure in a week).
I'll know what the Lemon Zest growths turn out to be in the next few days. Lots of panicles pushing on trees around the area, I'm back to thinking there's a good chance they won't just be a vegetative flush.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »
Looks like they are/will be panicles!