Author Topic: Sugar Dragon Fruit variety  (Read 18073 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Sugar Dragon Fruit variety
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:23:24 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the Sugar Dragon Fruit variety. I tried googling for information but didn't find anything. I also didn't find any information using this forums search function. I have a cutting given to me by another member of this forum. I recall reading somewhere that this variety is small fruited and has the highest Brix of any dragonfruit variety topping out at 30%. The highest Brix Dragonfruit that I have tasted and tested this year is Simons Purple that consistently averages 21% Brix. At 30% Brix, this variety must be amazing, even sweeter than S. megalanthus, the Yellow Dragon. I'm interested in any info for this variety and pictures would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

Simon

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Dragon Fruit variety
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the Sugar Dragon Fruit variety. I tried googling for information but didn't find anything. I also didn't find any information using this forums search function. I have a cutting given to me by another member of this forum. I recall reading somewhere that this variety is small fruited and has the highest Brix of any dragonfruit variety topping out at 30%. The highest Brix Dragonfruit that I have tasted and tested this year is Simons Purple that consistently averages 21% Brix. At 30% Brix, this variety must be amazing, even sweeter than S. megalanthus, the Yellow Dragon. I'm interested in any info for this variety and pictures would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

Simon

Simon's Purple? Is that one of your creations?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Nope, it was passed down through my wife's family and didnt have a name. It's my favorite variety so far and so I have given away many cuttings. I just put a name to it so that people that have this variety can search for information regarding this variety. I guess I could have called it A1 or something like that.

Just as a reference point, Halleys Comet averages about 17% Brix and American Beauty averages about 19% when grown at my house, juice from all samples taken from center of the fruit where I have found the Brix to be highest. Brix decreases as you get closer to the skin.

Simon

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
Hello everyone,
Simon

"Sugar Dragon" is the name Linda Nickerson gave to Paul Thomson's 'S-8' (or '8-S') Dragon Fruit she grows and sells at Elk Creek Dragon Fruit Farm http://www.devonsaustraliancattledogs.com/Dragonfruit.  Give Linda a call and she can tell you everything you wanted to know about "Sugar Dragon", which I have tasted and is excellent.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 03:53:27 PM »
Warren brought a small, green skinned variety to Harry's this past summer.  Most flavorful and sweetest DF any of us have ever tried.  Can't recall the name.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »
I recall reading somewhere that this variety is small fruited and has the highest Brix of any dragonfruit variety topping out at 30%.

I doubt that is true.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 12:48:03 AM »
Hello everyone,
Simon

"Sugar Dragon" is the name Linda Nickerson gave to Paul Thomson's 'S-8' (or '8-S') Dragon Fruit she grows and sells at Elk Creek Dragon Fruit Farm http://www.devonsaustraliancattledogs.com/Dragonfruit.  Give Linda a call and she can tell you everything you wanted to know about "Sugar Dragon", which I have tasted and is excellent.

Also I believe Linda said it sets fruit on its own where she lives in Fallbrook. It's very good, although small.

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 01:11:06 AM »
Rickshaw,

Thank you for the information.  I really enjoy all the recent discussion about dragon fruit on this forum.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:49:14 AM »
According to this article, S-8 has one of the highest Brix score ever, up to 22. In fact, it is sweeter than Yellow dragon fruit which is 21 on Brix.

http://crfg-ie.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IE-CRFG-May-2013.pdf

(Page 3, Paragraph 3)
Moh'd

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 09:57:59 AM »

Also I believe Linda said it sets fruit on its own where she lives in Fallbrook. It's very good, although small.

What she says on the Elk Creek web site:

Thompson S-8:  Self Fertile but greatly benefits from hand pollination. 

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »
According to this article, S-8 has one of the highest Brix score ever, up to 22. In fact, it is sweeter than Yellow dragon fruit which is 21 on Brix.
http://crfg-ie.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IE-CRFG-May-2013.pdf
(Page 3, Paragraph 3)

Thanks for the link to the CRFG Inland Empire newsletter.  I and two other CRFG members are planning a trip to Fallbrook (San Diego County) and hope to visit Elk Creek Dragon Fruit Nursery.

I am pretty sure Elk Creek got their "S-8" from Paul Thomson.  U. C. Irvine does not have "S-8" from Paul Thomson (that I know of).

On any given day...  BRIX scores can be different from one fruit to another.  I believe that "S-8" and "Frankie's Red" are a better choice than the Yellow DF variety for Southern California growers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:21:27 AM by ricshaw »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »
Thanks for all the information everyone! I really appreciate it. After getting the name S-8, I was able to find a lot of information about this variety. It does appear that this variety is on the sweet side, I forget whom stated in a thread that the sugar dragon can get Brix up into the 30%, please post here if you find it. 22% Brix is very believable but I would think this is the higher range of its Brix.

After some googling, I found out that the Sugar dragon, S-8, the one without the spines is sometimes sold at stores like Whole Foods and other retailers. I stopped by by whole foods and picked up a few of their unnamed organically grown DF for $12.99/pound and the fruit had great flavor but the Brix only averaged 15%. Please keep in mind that this DF I purchased was Not labeled with the variety name so it may not be the Sugar Dragon. Some sources simply pointed that the Sugar Dragon is sometimes sold at WF.

Anyways, if it was the Sugar Dragon, the lower Brix may be attributed to possibly being picked slightly early so that it lasts longer on the shelves.

I must point out that this Dragon Fruit from WFs is the best tasting commercially available DF I have tasted and Unlike the common White fleshed commonly available DF, this variety will turn people onto liking DF.

More needs to be done to re-brand Dragon Fruit because of the horrible horrible tasteless white fleshed DF varieties that most people think about when you say Dragon Fruit. The white fleshed varieties should be banned if growers around the world want DF sales to increase and expand. Growers should have some free samples at all locations where DF is sold so that the public can taste a good variety.
Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
Here is a picture of the fruit from WFs. Does this look like the Sugar Dragon?

Simon

yonip69

• San Diego, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
Simon I gave you rooted cutting last September 2013 hehehe If you only took care of it you should tasted Sugar DF now. I took brix reading of 19.2 from 0-32 brix last September 13, 2014. Sorry no photo taken yet.
It fruited 4 times this year and It has 2 green fruits right now due 1 month from now and that is the last cycle this year.
Richard (Ricshaw) is right, this came from Paul T according to Linda

This what Linda wrote me year ago:
To: yonip69@yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:41 PM
Subject: Thompson (S-8) Dragon fruit

If you live in San Diego, you don't want to bother about shipping.  We have lovely dragon fruit plants for sale here--just up I-15 in beautiful Fallbrook.  We also have a great selection of other delicious varieties.  Our S-8 came directly from Paul Thomson, who we knew personally.  It is different from the S-8 you'll get from many others.  We don't know why the difference, but I was asked to make a presentation at the 2012 Pitahaya Festival at UC Irving and explained that, due to a couple of major differences, we have decided to name our cultivar Sugar Dragon to avoid further confusion.  We brought 10 lbs of fruit to the festival for tasting.  Ramero cut up about 12 different Research Station varieties, plus our Sugar Dragon, and offered them for tasting.  Everyone present (and there were a lot of people in attendance!) agreed that our Sugar Dragon was the sweetest and best tasting they had ever had.  It is also self fertile--a real plus.  And because it is of a totally different parentage from the majority of red fleshed (and white for that matter) fruit, it is a Universal Pollinator.  To top that off, it is the earliest to bloom, producing pollen for all the other varieties as they start blooming, and the last to stop blooming.  In fact, we have Sugar Dragons still ripening on our vines now, and had enough to sell yesterday!  It is also one of the most productive of all varieties.  What more can we ask? 
        We have nice, staked plants in a variety of sizes and prices, starting at $15, and many of the best tasting varieties.  Many of our plants will produce fruit this year.  So your best bet is to visit and see what you would like.  It is also pruning time so we can offer some nice cuttings for sale if you don't mind waiting 2-3 years for fruit from cuttings.  We charge $5 ea. for cuttings.  We also have a wealth of info we are happy to share with you on successfully growing Dragon Fruit.  We are retired and live on our nursery, so we're home most of the time, but please let us know when you are coming so we can give you directions.  I'm attaching info on the most popular varieties we have and a price list.  We have several additional varieties that will be available later this year.  Thanks so much for contacting us.

Linda & Gery   **ELK CREEK DRAGON FRUIT**DEVON'S ACDs**  760-451-0320    Money can buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail.
  see us at:  www.DevonsAustralianCattleDogs.com and www.//flicker.com/photos/devonsacds

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »
Hello Yonip,  thanks so much for the information and the plant. I still have the plant you gave me but I kept it in a small pot and didn't take care of it because I have limited space. I will up pot it shortly and pump it up so that it will hopefully fruit for me this year. Have you discovered any new varieties that are better tasting or sweeter? Did I give you a cutting of Simons Purple? If so, did you get any fruit from it and how do you like it?

The fruit from WFs, whatever it is, is very good tasting.

Simon

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
Simon

It could be DF from grower Gray Martin.  Did it have a little label on it?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »
There were no labels on it. I believe this variety was also sold at Nijiya Market about 3-4 years ago.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »
Simon

It could be DF from grower Gray Martin.  Did it have a little label on it?
Yes I think that's what 8S looks like. It has thin skin. 8S has those flaps that mostly dry off when the fruit is properly ripe. So your market fruit is probably a little under ripe like you said.
Gray Martin also got his plant from Paul Thomson. He said it's a little different than Linda's. Something like not self-pollinating or has a thorn at the base of the fruit.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 08:52:41 PM »
I bought one DF at WF the previous weekend. It was a beautiful dark red inside and the soft edible small seeds reminded me of Kiwi fruit. The taste of the sugar content was pleasantly there, but it was not the holy-grail sugary taste that we're looking for in DF. The same thought of Simon_grow passed through my mind as I was eating it, perhaps they picked it early (as most store chains do), in order to extend the shelf life, although doing so diminishes the sugar content of the fruit.

Simon_grow, if you or anyone else do get their hands on the 'Sugar Dragon,' and the taste does justice to its name, then please figure out a way to gather about a hundred potted cuttings (or more), and come to the S. FL area to sell all of them to this Forum's members and others; just an idea.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
The taste of Dragon Fruit is not for everyone.  Some people do not like it.  IMO, LEOOEL and simon_grow will never find a Dragon Fruit that tastes good.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »
The taste of Dragon Fruit is not for everyone.  Some people do not like it.  IMO, LEOOEL and simon_grow will never find a Dragon Fruit that tastes good.

I actually like most of the purple fleshed varieties of DF for example I really like Simons Purple, American Beauty, Halleys Comet. I also think the red fleshed varieties that are sweet are very good. I just don't like the commonly available white fleshed varieties, usually imported from Vietnam. I feel they are picked too early so they have less sugar and these fruit also lack the berry or grape like flavor that the colored flesh varieties have. 
Simon

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »
Simon,

The bottom fruit is an 8-S, which is one of Paul Thompson's hybrids

Below is 8-S cut open (bottom fruit)

Houghton (One of the parents of 8-S) next to 8-S.  As you can see, it's very similar.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 11:55:28 PM »
Thanks for the pics eNorm! From your pictures, it appears the 8-S has red flesh and also red skin? The fruit I purchased from WFs is more purple in color and appears to have more fins. It does not appear that the fruit I purchased from WFs is the Sugar Dragon. I'll just have to grow my plant out to see how the fruit compare and also to get a few good Brix readings.
Simon

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 12:31:45 AM »
Thanks for the pics eNorm! From your pictures, it appears the 8-S has red flesh and also red skin? The fruit I purchased from WFs is more purple in color and appears to have more fins. It does not appear that the fruit I purchased from WFs is the Sugar Dragon. I'll just have to grow my plant out to see how the fruit compare and also to get a few good Brix readings.
Simon

I am not surprised that the DF you purchased from WFs is not Sugar Dragon. I only know of Elk Creek Dragon Fruit Nursery who is growing "S-8" (Elk Creek calls Sugar Dragon) commercially on less than one acre of land.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 01:32:47 AM »
Simon,

The pictures of eNorm's are a bit deceiving, it looks like the lighting makes them appear more red than they really are.

First of all, Sugar Dragon, 8-S and a plant called Arizona Purple are all the same  cultivar (by RAPD analysis). I have Houghton,  Arizona Purple, Sugar Dragon and 8-S (as well as Voodoo Child, which is probably not 8-S) although only the first two have fruited for me so far.  Under the conditions at my house, I cannot tell the difference between Houghton and Arizona Purple, they are the same size, shape, color and taste (both are very sweet and tasty).  Others that I have shared them with also cannot discern any appreciable differences between the two fruit.  That said, my fruits are red skinned and a purple-magenta in color, maybe just a shade more purple than American Beauty. My fruits look similar to the ones you purchased from WF, but it is hard to tell.  If the WF ones are the same as the ones that they are selling at my local Ralph's, I do not think they are 8-S,  but to be sure, I will buy one to try it.

Richard