Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Alkaline Sandy Soil.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tropicalgrower89:

--- Quote from: Saltcayman on February 19, 2012, 08:21:50 PM ---From what I have read, raising the amount of organic matter in or on top of sandy calcareous soil is key to  lowering ph. A heavy mulch will also give the garden sulpher a layer to linger in rather than passing right through the root zone. Do not overdo the sulpher in any one treatment. 
Peat moss, which is very acidic, can also lower ph but must be incorporated into the soil. Some people claim pine bark or pine straw mulch will also lower ph but others say it loses it's acidity when it decomposes.    Dave

--- End quote ---

Thanks Dave. I'll look further into pine bark or straw mulch.

Tropicalgrower89:

--- Quote from: zands on February 19, 2012, 08:30:56 PM ---Tropicalgrower89 ----
Best I have learned is this\

* you can spend a lifetime trying to raise the ph of alkaline soils unless you have a few dump truck loads of straight sulfur
* not all fruit trees are bothered by alkaline soil
* mangoes are relatively immune
* citrus is more affected and same for carambola
* Iron and magnesium uptake are the major problems
* chelated iron can be used in calcerous soils where simple iron sulfate cannot
* but I'm thinking simple iron and magnesium sulfates with a soap wetting agent will do better as foliars
* Epsom salts=magnesium sulfate
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your help Zands. Have you used this ? :   http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3083599&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Green%20Light%20Gallon%20Iron%20and%20Soil%20Acidifier%20Concentrate&CAWELAID=1103445107#BVRRWidgetID

My older mamey is closer to the house and the soil there has a higher pH (alkaline) and seems to be struggling compared to the mamey that's planted further away from the house where the pH is a bit lower. 

zands:
Tropicalgrower89____

Phone up Los Reyes De Mamey and mention your calciferous soil....   ask them.  I am serious

zands:

Thanks for your help Zands. Have you used this ? :   http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3083599&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Green%20Light%20Gallon%20Iron%20and%20Soil%20Acidifier%20Concentrate&CAWELAID=1103445107#BVRRWidgetID

My older mamey is closer to the house and the soil there has a higher pH (alkaline) and seems to be struggling compared to the mamey that's planted further away from the house where the pH is a bit lower.

As far as that stuff goes you have to.... have to... have to... check out what kind of soil (acid alkaline or all so they claim)  it works in. The 138 chelate you mention is for alkaline soils and can be used as drench or foliar.  But there is a Ferriplus chelate (other than 138) that is for acid soils go figure

Tropicalgrower89:

--- Quote from: zands on February 19, 2012, 09:08:14 PM ---

As far as that stuff goes you have to.... have to... have to... check out what kind of soil (acid alkaline or all so they claim)  it works in. The 138 chelate you mention is for alkaline soils and can be used as drench or foliar.  But there is a Ferriplus chelate (other than 138) that is for acid soils go figure

--- End quote ---

I bought a PH meter. It's no the most accurate meter, but the needle was in the alkaline territory when I stuck the probe into the soil, within the root zone. I was actually growing a gardenia plant and it just deteriorated after planting it in the ground in the recommended location and took care of it based on the instructions. Then I read that gardenias did not like alkaline soils. They prefer acidic soils. Based on that evidence and what the pH meter was reading, my soil is alkaline, so I need an iron chelate/soil acidifier for alkaline soil. Since my other mamey is currently doing fine, I'll use my other mamey as a test for the product I showed you. In the advertisement, it mentions that it is suppose to reduce alkalinity in alkaline soils.

My glenn mango leaves are yellow around the edges and green in the middle. Is that normal due to cold weather?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version