Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Pineapple thread

<< < (42/49) > >>

strom:
My pineapples look terrible coming out of our wet winter, I left them outside on the patio since I don't have land for a greenhouse and, well, no space inside.  Cheese pine looks the "healthiest" so far, following by one of the grocery-store twist tops which is going to be my very first one to bloom!  This is a twist top from either a costco, whole foods (costa rica), or gelson's pineapple (Maui Gold), and I think finally rooted in 2019 after so many failed attempts. 

FV Fruit Freak:

--- Quote from: K-Rimes on March 27, 2023, 05:16:15 PM ---

Landed my first one but unfortunately had ants tunneling in it. Hope some of it is salvageable.

--- End quote ---

That don’t look ready, doesn’t look like it formed right and the color is off, prob cause it wintered over...It seems when pineapples set fruit here in the fall, winter over, and then ripen in the spring, they usually aren’t very good, it seems they really need our summer heat/sun to get to their full potential. You want them flowering/setting fruit now, winter, or spring, that way it’ll ripen in the summer, the taste and quality is night and day...It’s the same with dragon fruit. Congrats on your first fruit tho!

K-Rimes:

--- Quote from: FV Fruit Freak on June 23, 2023, 06:42:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: K-Rimes on March 27, 2023, 05:16:15 PM ---

Landed my first one but unfortunately had ants tunneling in it. Hope some of it is salvageable.

--- End quote ---

That don’t look ready, doesn’t look like it formed right and the color is off, prob cause it wintered over...It seems when pineapples set fruit here in the fall, winter over, and then ripen in the spring, they usually aren’t very good, it seems they really need our summer heat/sun to get to their full potential. You want them flowering/setting fruit now, winter, or spring, that way it’ll ripen in the summer, the taste and quality is night and day...It’s the same with dragon fruit. Congrats on your first fruit tho!

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately all my pineapples flowered at the wrong time and the fruit was overwintered. I have one that is flowering now, so maybe that one will turn out ok - but I give up on pineapples now. They take up too much greenhouse space and are prickly.

spaugh:
That looks like a yellow sugarloaf.  They always come out small and funny shaped. 

Enkis:
I've always failed to root pineapples tops. I've always put them in water because it seemed the most common method.

Yesterday i bought a Dole tropical gold making sure to pick the one with the healthiest top and this time i put it in a pot.
The fruit tasted really good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version