Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

how to germinate Annona crassifolia aka crassiflora

<< < (2/3) > >>

tru:

--- Quote from: Giannhs on March 23, 2023, 03:39:33 PM ---thank you Jal and tru! I have vermiculite but not gibberellic acid, i must search to buy.
tru, i suppose "by a window" means a source of warmth, not light, since you say "inside of something that blocks light".

--- End quote ---

yeah! sorry  ;D

Giannhs:
Hi, i went to a garden supplies shop to ask about Gibberellic Acid (GA), they did not sell that, but the shop keeper told me that GA is dangerous as it may "burn" the seeds. So i ordered some GA from the internet, and as i do not understand the terms like "1000 ppm", please somebody explain in plain terms, when i have a sachet with 1 gram of GA, i dilute it in alcohol and then in how much water so that it does not damage the Annona crassiflora seeds but stop their dormancy to make them germinate?

elouicious:
oh boy-

my ga3 speech

Gibberrelins are natural plant hormones released during the seed sprouting process- by treating seeds you can sometimes "trick" seeds into thinking germination has started and then the molecular machinery is in motion.

The issues with proper use of GA3 are many, here are a few to consider if you are going to use it

As you mentioned you need to solubilize in alcohol- I aim for a 1% final alcohol concentration of my stock GA3 solution. Beer (the shit kind) is 3% alcohol and I would not pour it on my plants so if you can get closer to a 1% final solution of alcohol it is better. I have not had issues with solubilizing large amounts of GA3 in small volumes of pure ethanol.

Next the concentration which is beneficial is variable for species- and overdosing or underdosing will kill your seed or be ineffective respectively. Since there is very little research on the species we grow here, a general recommended starting dose is in the 100-500ppm range. There should be online calculators available where you can put in the volume of water, concentration you want and it will tell you how much GA3 to weigh. Solubilize that amount of GA3 in the minimal amount of alcohol and dilute with water to the final volume. I generally make a stock of 4000ppm and then dilute that 1:10 for seed soaking.

Finally, GA3 actually inhibits root development if it is in the planting medium. If you plan to use it, soak the seeds in a GA3 solution for 24-72h and then remove from the solution and plant the seeds in your favorite medium. (mine is 100% vermiculite bvut you have to be careful about asbestos)

This method has worked for many old seeds in a few trials I ran- but is laborious. GA3 expires as well so you will need to make new solutions every once in while. That said 1g should last you years

tru:
great info, if I could bookmark a certain post I would!

kittycatus:
I use a miniature porcelain mortar and pestle to grind GA3 into a very fine powder, followed by wet grinding with a small amount of RO water. Then I mix the slurry into RO water to get the final concentration. I find this to be faster than trying to dissolve it in alcohol, and there is zero alcohol residue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version