Author Topic: Introducing mangos to babies?  (Read 464 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Introducing mangos to babies?
« on: June 09, 2023, 03:30:51 PM »
Considering some people's severe allergic reaction to mangos, is there a recommended way to introduce mangos to babies? Thanks for any advice!

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing mangos to babies?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 08:38:23 PM »
Most people are allergic to the sap, and its genetic. I'm mildly allergic to skin and sap, so i just have to be careful when I eat them. For my girl, i just rubbed a small amount of mango puree on the sensitive underside of her arm, waited for a while, didn't see anything so fed her a small amount of puree. She handled it fine and now Im perfectly comfortable giving he any amount of puree.

If you want to go ham, there is this...
https://www.backpacker.com/skills/universal-edibility-test/

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 09:19:35 PM »
Thank you, Fruit Jungle!

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 10:41:27 PM »
There is a study I found a couple of years ago that said if they encounter poison ivy before mango, than the chances of them having a reaction to mango was higher. If they are introduced to mango first then they don't get that reaction. Being from MI, I was the poison ivy first scenario and wouldn't recommend. My sensitivity has gone down the more I eat them but as I understand it, it could have easily gone the other way.   

Edit: here is the study https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15701120/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:43:11 PM by Gulfgardener »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 07:06:43 AM »
Interesting, Gulfgardener! My dad was from Ohio and was certainly exposed to poison ivy before mango, and he was severely allergic to mango skin and sap. Thank goodness gracious I grew up in FLA with a mango tree before ever seeing poison ivy. Though I've heard people could develop mango allergies later in life . . .

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 09:21:56 AM »
Early introduction of allergens helps prevent allergies. By three months, you should start feeding little bits of a wide variety of fruits and nuts.
Mangoes and cashews are in the same family. My grandson is severely allergic to cashews, so the doctors told us to not give him mango or pistachios, just to be safe.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 10:11:34 AM »
Thanks, Daintree! The babies belong to co-workers, so I'm fortunately spared the intricacies of feeding them😄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk