Author Topic: Atemoya and Mango Airlayer: Long Term Viability  (Read 902 times)

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
Atemoya and Mango Airlayer: Long Term Viability
« on: July 15, 2022, 07:49:44 PM »
I've seen people airlayer atemoya and mango successfully but I don't know if they ever get grow well and fruit. Anyone has any experience with airlayering these 2 fruit trees?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya and Mango Airlayer: Long Term Viability
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 10:45:00 PM »
I have had good success airlayering Valencia Pride Mango. It was slow to root (compared to lychee) and takes a little longer to establish, but is doing great now and has produced several fruits.

Atemoya has been a total failure for me. Out of 10+ tries, each one ended the same way. The layer broke off before it could root. I think the wood is just very weak.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 11:23:09 PM »
I have done mango and commented in a post some time ago.  I tried with atemoya but was not successful.  I understand some have done this but my attempt failed.

With mango I have one that is doing just fine.  It is slow growing and I planted a seed next to it with the intent of inarching (approach graft) it so as the give the air layer a second root system and one with a tap root.  The seedling grew very rapidly and I ended up leaving it be and now I have two trees within a foot of each other.

I believe the second root system idea is still a good one and would suggest you consider it if you do a mango air layer.

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 11:26:02 PM »
Good to hear about your success with Valencia Pride Mango. How long did it take to produce fruit? I was told around 3 years. Just bought a airlayered R2E2 which I am going to plant today.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 12:52:16 AM »
I have had good success airlayering Valencia Pride Mango. It was slow to root (compared to lychee) and takes a little longer to establish, but is doing great now and has produced several fruits.

Wow that's first time I've heard someone got fruit from airlayer mango tree. Does it have alot of roots when you airlayer? How long does it take?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 07:18:19 AM »

Wow that's first time I've heard someone got fruit from airlayer mango tree. Does it have alot of roots when you airlayer? How long does it take?

No, it did not have as many roots as lychee and several of the layers died because of this. I want to say that it took 5-6 months for enough roots to develop to be cut. I think It was 3-4 years before it fruited. The tree does seem somewhat dwarfed similar to Orkine's comments, but Valencia Pride is a very vigorous tree, so this may be a good thing.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 01:11:31 PM »

No, it did not have as many roots as lychee and several of the layers died because of this. I want to say that it took 5-6 months for enough roots to develop to be cut. I think It was 3-4 years before it fruited. The tree does seem somewhat dwarfed similar to Orkine's comments, but Valencia Pride is a very vigorous tree, so this may be a good thing.

I have seen many people tried to airlayer mango, but there wasn't alot of roots.

Here is an atemoya air layer.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 04:21:05 PM »
 Greenerpasteur, that is a noce layer. Based on the picture, I assume the branch was close to an inch I, diameter. Is that correct? What variety is it?

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 05:42:02 PM »
Greenerpasteur, that is a noce layer. Based on the picture, I assume the branch was close to an inch I, diameter. Is that correct? What variety is it?

Yes. It's African Pride atemoya