Author Topic: Planting Fruit Trees Near Queen Palm Tree  (Read 1285 times)

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
Planting Fruit Trees Near Queen Palm Tree
« on: September 16, 2022, 09:33:24 PM »
My neighbor has row of queen palm trees that's separate by cement wall. It still manage to climb across. Anyone has experience growing fruit trees near queen palm?Is it a concern?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Planting Fruit Trees Near Queen Palm Tree
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 10:22:20 PM »
It does not seem to have hurt the other queen palms. What are you planning to put there? Anything with a strong root system would likely be bad for the wall.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 10:00:03 AM »
"Climb across" or grow under?  What exactly is your concern?  I'd say remove as many roots as you can and plant what you want.
John

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 01:10:27 PM »
I've got a couple of pineapple guava relatively close to a queen palm plus some shrubs and no problems yet for either the fruit trees or the palm. Queen palm roots are noninvasive, they just go wide to anchor the tree.

My concern would be for the queen palm, depending on what you're growing. Those palms with non-invasive roots (not just queens but Washingtonia species as well, like the Mexican fan palms) can get throttled by some other invasive roots; the previous owner of my property accidentally killed two established adult palms by planting a willow acacia nearby that proceeded to throttle them, but those have REALLY invasive roots. Probably not gonna happen with most fruit trees.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 01:26:59 PM by CeeJey »

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 05:07:41 PM »
It does not seem to have hurt the other queen palms. What are you planning to put there? Anything with a strong root system would likely be bad for the wall.

Grow under. I grow every thing near it - guava, lychee, sapodilla, cherimoya/atemoya, mango.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 05:09:20 PM »
I've got a couple of pineapple guava relatively close to a queen palm plus some shrubs and no problems yet for either the fruit trees or the palm. Queen palm roots are noninvasive, they just go wide to anchor the tree.

My concern would be for the queen palm, depending on what you're growing. Those palms with non-invasive roots (not just queens but Washingtonia species as well, like the Mexican fan palms) can get throttled by some other invasive roots; the previous owner of my property accidentally killed two established adult palms by planting a willow acacia nearby that proceeded to throttle them, but those have REALLY invasive roots. Probably not gonna happen with most fruit trees.

The palm trees are my neighbor. They seem to be growing roots all over my fruit trees. I'm more concern about my fruit trees. I'm concern it may cause my tropical fruit trees to die.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 05:44:37 PM »
Doubt it will kill the trees but it might affect how much fruit you get.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 06:33:52 PM »
I would have removed as much of the palm roots as possible up to the wall before I planted my fruit trees, but you have to realize that the roots of your trees will never go under and beyond the wall so they will be restricted in that direction.
John

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 07:19:57 PM »
I would have removed as much of the palm roots as possible up to the wall before I planted my fruit trees, but you have to realize that the roots of your trees will never go under and beyond the wall so they will be restricted in that direction.

I did dig it 3-3.5 ft deep and 3 feet wide. I removed all the palm roots. I even put a double layer plastic bag 4 ft deep to control some of the roots from coming though.

Yes I understand that. It's still better than growing in pot.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 07:46:54 PM by greenerpasteur »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 07:44:40 PM »
Never had a problem with queen palms next to citrus. Live oak is the main problem I saw. They suck up nutrients from other plants for quite some distance.

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2022, 07:47:52 PM »
Never had a problem with queen palms next to citrus. Live oak is the main problem I saw. They suck up nutrients from other plants for quite some distance.

I've seen alot of my neighbors have palm tree with fruit trees growing next to it and my sapodilla fruit fine next to it. I was just probably over paranoid. Thanks for confirming it for me.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 09:56:34 AM »
It's still better than growing in pot.
I agree.  :)
John

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 07:06:46 PM »
The palm trees are my neighbor. They seem to be growing roots all over my fruit trees. I'm more concern about my fruit trees. I'm concern it may cause my tropical fruit trees to die.
The palm roots will suck the soil dry. You're feeding water and nutrient to the palms, and less to your trees.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 07:14:21 PM »
They are not heavy feeders. Really the citrus roots are probably more agressive than queen palm but they grow fine together. Here in Florida the dirt is usually sand which doesn't hold water or nutrients anyway

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 03:26:53 PM »
They are not heavy feeders. Really the citrus roots are probably more agressive than queen palm but they grow fine together. Here in Florida the dirt is usually sand which doesn't hold water or nutrients anyway

You are right. Florida has alot of palm trees and I've seen the fruit trees grow so well.