Author Topic: Eugenia stipitata - Second Year Blooms, Maybe Fruit  (Read 645 times)

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Eugenia stipitata - Second Year Blooms, Maybe Fruit
« on: November 30, 2022, 07:28:58 PM »
Hey All,

When back in Houston recently, I obviously took a stroll of the garden and to my great delight I saw some blooms on the Eugenia stipitata- Araca Boi

This is the second year with flowers, about a 4 year old plant and it bloomed last year but didn't hold anything-

I know through conversation with NissanVersa I know that there are at least two different varietals of this species- and at one point I had both but the wider leaf varietal appears to be less cold tolerant, and didn't make it through the winter.

I had heard that they fruit much better with multiple plants but other than this one I only have seedlings now-

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia stipitata - Second Year Blooms, Maybe Fruit
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 08:08:57 PM »
Looks nice!
I had a narrow leaf one and it died...after I tried to graft some wide leaf on it during the middle of winter lol
Got it to flower a couple of years at least. Like most eugenia I think they take several years of flowering before setting fruit most cases.
Now potentially getting another one fingers crossed.
I want to get the sororia? selection I think FFF has. Not sure if it's wide or narrow leafed.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 12:48:31 PM »
Araza flowers off and on through the year. December could be rough for you guys. We get a lot of flowers in May.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 12:51:45 PM »
Thanks Peter!

keeping my fingers crossed for a light winter in the gulf this year- but the plant did lose all of its foliage last year, and I assume fruits would drop

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 04:40:09 PM »
I have a plant here at my house that's not more than 2 feet tall. I'm not sure the age of it but I got it last year, put it in the ground and right away it started to flower. It held a couple fruits to about golf ball size and then dropped them. This year it bloomed again and set maybe 6 fruits, 2 stayed on and ripened. They got to maybe tennis ball size. I used them in a fermented hot sauce and it came out amazing. You should definitely get some fruit soon if it's anything like the one I have. Good luck!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 05:47:51 PM »
I have two of these, both of a decent size in 5 gallon pots. One of them is holding onto 2 absolutely obscenely sized fruits almost the size of baseballs. Looking forward to trying them!

Looks nice!
I had a narrow leaf one and it died...after I tried to graft some wide leaf on it during the middle of winter lol
Got it to flower a couple of years at least. Like most eugenia I think they take several years of flowering before setting fruit most cases.
Now potentially getting another one fingers crossed.
I want to get the sororia? selection I think FFF has. Not sure if it's wide or narrow leafed.

I have soraria from FFF. I would call it narrow leaf but will take a look again at home later to confirm. It is a lot smaller than my others so it's hard to compare.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:51:22 PM by K-Rimes »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 05:49:48 PM »

This was a few weeks back. They’ve gotten bigger since.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 07:34:58 PM »

This was a few weeks back. They’ve gotten bigger since.
You got some cool stuff going on over there!
The fruit has been somewhat high on my to try list as I love sour fruits...Shouldn't be too hard to fruit up here anyways even though mine died

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 07:38:16 PM »
Jesus those are huge k-rimes

how does the plant hold them? do they droop to the ground and need some protection?

Also really want to try this one as I like sour fruits

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 01:51:59 PM »

Couple photos for you. The fruit are on the plant on the left side. They flower profusely and are flowering now but these are the first sets. I didn’t see any bee action on them or not much anyways, but I got a hive recently so I hope I get more sets next year.