Author Topic: What is the best tasting avocado variety?  (Read 6763 times)

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
Re: What is the best tasting avocado variety?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2023, 01:54:24 PM »
Nishikawas were pretty good here as well but the peel had a lot of grit.  Like a LOT.  I chainsaws that one down and will top work with sharwil. 

I've eaten a lot of avocados since this thread was started and for me sharwil is #1 undisputed.

I have tried Sharwils from Hawaii in what seemed like perfect ripeness, and from you this summer, and I honestly don't really care for the Sharwil much. It's so dry and such a mild flavor, I prefer a creamier/less dry avocado like Mexicola or a more nutty tasting avocado like Fuerte. Those are probably my favorite two for texture and flavor, respectively, though a good Hass is hard to beat. I feel like the big dry ones like Reed, Sharwil, Hellen are fine, but the main thing they have going for them is size, which is impressive. And don't get me wrong, I've only had a few avocados in my life that I didn't like, and those were all WI/Florida varieties that had a funky fruit taste, and one GEM that was full of fiber one time.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 02:03:13 PM by drymifolia »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2023, 02:37:15 PM »
dry? I never thought of Sharwil or any Avocado as dry.  If that is the word though, I'll take it over wet.
The watery WI Avocado , smoothie kind.
Sharwil is toppa top and size has nothing to do with it, they are smaller than most .
Describing mexicola as creamy is making me rethink adjective definitions.

Pinkerton , Ota, Sharwil , Gillogoly, Reed and Jan Boyce are some of my favorites

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2023, 02:59:08 PM »
I wasn't the first person in this thread to say Sharwil is dry! It has a texture reminiscent of canistel to me, like an oily eggfruit kind of?

Mexicola has a non-wet, but very soft texture, reminiscent of slightly softened cream cheese. That, to me, is the perfect avocado texture.

WI varieties are the bad kind of "not dry," I definitely agree with that. I ate many of them growing up in Miami, countless named varieties and seed grown trees in South FL. They can be OK, never had one I'd call great, maybe some that almost compared to the worst Guatemalan or Mexican cultivars.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 03:10:31 PM by drymifolia »

Humboldt9aRiverBottomland

• Carlotta, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2023, 03:48:14 PM »
Nishikawas were pretty good here as well but the peel had a lot of grit.  Like a LOT.  I chainsaws that one down and will top work with sharwil. 

I've eaten a lot of avocados since this thread was started and for me sharwil is #1 undisputed.

I'm reading up on the sharwil and would love to grow it in the Bay Area but not sure how well it'll do. After reading your feedback of the greengold I'm not as interested. Any chance you've heard of Bay Area growers with sharwil?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 03:55:48 PM by Humboldt9aRiverBottomland »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2023, 03:58:19 PM »
Here we go again !  Lol

Who's greengold is producing well in nor cal?

I know what you mean by dry.  That's high oil and low water you are sensing.  That's what happens when the fruit is 25+ percent oil.  Cheese is also not watery. 

Easy way to add a bit of water is put it in a bowl, squeeze some fresh lemon juice on it, mash it a bit, maybe a bit of garlic powder and chili powder.  BAM!  It's better than anything out there.  Mexicola is not even in the same league. 
Brad Spaugh

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2023, 05:23:10 PM »
Here we go again !  Lol

I know what you mean by dry.  That's high oil and low water you are sensing.  That's what happens when the fruit is 25+ percent oil.  Cheese is also not watery. 

Easy way to add a bit of water is put it in a bowl, squeeze some fresh lemon juice on it, mash it a bit, maybe a bit of garlic powder and chili powder.  BAM!  It's better than anything out there.  Mexicola is not even in the same league.

Nobody wants to add water! I think there's something other than oil content that's distinguishing what I'm trying to describe, though. Some Mexican varieties are even higher oil % than Sharwil, and they seem... "smoother"? ... "creamier"? ...when eaten with a spoon straight, rather than mashing. Their oils are more like palm oil and less like coconut oil. The Guatemalan "oily" avocados like Reed and Sharwil are more fatty than oily, I'd say, in the sense of soft oils vs crystalized oils. Which can be great when mashed up and mixed with other things, and a million times better than the watery WI avocados, but if I'm just cutting it in half and eating with a spoon + salt, then I prefer something with some Mexican genes. Hass is such a winner because it's somewhere between those textures, where some Mexican avocado cultivars are overly soft, almost mayonnaise-like (which is also not watery, but not desirable either).

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2023, 06:10:28 PM »
Regarding Florida avocados, a lot has been said in the past year about Dupuis, Kampong, Oro Negro, and Lara's Improved Pollock.  Mainly by Paul N. on his YT channel.  :)  The dude loves avocados!  I've yet to taste Nishikawa.

For CA I guess Sharwil, Reed, and original Hass are some of the best I've tasted.  Also, Pinkerton and Fuerte.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 05:19:01 PM by johnb51 »
John

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2023, 08:39:24 PM »

Would the sharwil do good in South FL?
Zone 10

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2023, 08:56:26 PM »

Would the sharwil do good in South FL?

Im am just guessing not. otherwise everyone would grow it but just a guess.  Carlos probably already tried it and has notes.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2023, 09:01:33 PM »
Here we go again !  Lol

Nobody wants to add water! I think there's something other than oil content that's distinguishing what I'm trying to describe, though. Some Mexican varieties are even higher oil % than Sharwil, and they seem... "smoother"? ... "creamier"? ...when eaten with a spoon straight, rather than mashing. Their oils are more like palm oil and less like coconut oil. The Guatemalan "oily" avocados like Reed and Sharwil are more fatty than oily, I'd say, in the sense of soft oils vs crystalized oils. Which can be great when mashed up and mixed with other things, and a million times better than the watery WI avocados, but if I'm just cutting it in half and eating with a spoon + salt, then I prefer something with some Mexican genes. Hass is such a winner because it's somewhere between those textures, where some Mexican avocado cultivars are overly soft, almost mayonnaise-like (which is also not watery, but not desirable either).

What mexican variety is higher oil content than sharwil?  That doesnt sound right. 
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2023, 10:11:01 PM »
I am sure we just have different taste buds.
Sharwil is the only Avocado I like to eat slices of on itís own, every other kind I prefer mixed with other foods. It also keepís itía color and flavor better than any other . Comparing to a dry canistel is sacrilege and far off base say my taste buds.

The suggestion was not to add water but lemon juice , which should be common anyhow to help from turning brown.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2023, 11:26:38 PM »
I agree Brad, Sharwil is the best for nutty flavor and overall.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 06:28:20 AM by sc4001992 »

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2023, 03:55:06 AM »
Lula to make guacamole and Pollock to eat straight up or in a chunky avocado 🥑 salad 🥗 in Florida

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2023, 12:48:59 PM »
Nabal and sharwill.

If u eat both side by side, nabal blows sharwill away. (Imo)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2023, 01:30:10 PM »
I have thinned a Donnie avocado which is West Indian and very blah so they stayed on till late September and i thought they would have packed in some oil ,wrong yikes they were very dry and still tasteless like a potato not meaning to be disrespectful to potatoes.They were slightly sweet and starchy and seem to suck the water out of your mouth.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2023, 04:17:43 PM »
"Nabal and sharwill"

Gozp, I will need to try them side by side. I didn't know Nabal is that good, glad I got some scion wood from Brad and have it grafted on the same tree with my Sharwill.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2023, 05:21:41 PM »
I have thinned a Donnie avocado which is West Indian and very blah so they stayed on till late September and i thought they would have packed in some oil ,wrong yikes they were very dry and still tasteless like a potato not meaning to be disrespectful to potatoes.They were slightly sweet and starchy and seem to suck the water out of your mouth.
That's good to know.  I heard someone say that Donnies get better if you leave them on the tree.  Thanks for dispelling that myth.  I've tasted Simmonds that were pretty good but others that were pretty lousy.  Dupuis has gotten a lot of praise as the best FL summer avocado, but they say it's a shy bearer and/or needs the right pollinator.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 08:27:09 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2023, 08:38:08 PM »
Nabal and sharwill.

If u eat both side by side, nabal blows sharwill away. (Imo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDfXMZ2tizI
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2023, 09:40:09 PM »
Ok we need AJ to say if he prefers nabal or sharwil.  Nabal is nicexcellent but sharwil still is better IMO.

Guess it just comes down to personal preference. 
Brad Spaugh

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2023, 03:56:38 PM »
"Nabal and sharwill"

Gozp, I will need to try them side by side. I didn't know Nabal is that good, glad I got some scion wood from Brad and have it grafted on the same tree with my Sharwill.

you can never go wrong on both varieties both top tier. :)

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2023, 11:32:30 PM »
Ok we need AJ to say if he prefers nabal or sharwil.  Nabal is nicexcellent but sharwil still is better IMO.

Nabal is my favorite.  Best avocado Iíve ever eaten.  Sharwil is in my top 3, along with Reed.  Those 3 picked at the right time are world class, and they can go toe to toe against each other. 

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2023, 11:52:47 PM »
I've had reed and I don't see the big fuss. I've had it from different places thinking it may be that grower and not impressed. I need to try sharwil and nabal. I have a grafted sharwil that should flower next year. But to me any avocado is better than no avocado. =)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2023, 12:08:03 AM »

Nabal is my favorite.  Best avocado Iíve ever eaten.  Sharwil is in my top 3, along with Reed.  Those 3 picked at the right time are world class, and they can go toe to toe against each other.
Are you actually AJ?
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2023, 12:43:17 AM »

Are you actually AJ?

Its AJ
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2023, 12:50:19 AM »
I've had reed and I don't see the big fuss. I've had it from different places thinking it may be that grower and not impressed. I need to try sharwil and nabal. I have a grafted sharwil that should flower next year. But to me any avocado is better than no avocado. =)

They need to hang a long time to be good.  Like August or later.  Maybe later in cooler areas.  The flavor is a bit plain on reed but they are nice and oily and smooth fiberless.  Its a nice avocado.  Thry dont alternate that much eaither.  Sets lots of fruit even when it already has 1 year old fruit on it. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk