Author Topic: Eugenia Calycina (savannah cherry)?  (Read 301 times)

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
Eugenia Calycina (savannah cherry)?
« on: October 08, 2023, 01:05:51 PM »
Got these 2 in sunshine mix, my water ph is like 8ish there in GH tried morning sun with little afternoon tried full sun in gh all day, Canít seems to get them happy any tips.  Sourced from Flyfox couple years back.

"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia Calycina (savannah cherry)?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 01:43:00 PM »
They seem to be pretty much like all the other eugenias I am growing.  I did have random severe dieback one year, though, no idea why.

Is it possible yours are too wet?  The ratio of soil to plant looks high.  I usually down-pot plants that die back severely as they don't seem to need much water while they struggle

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 10:09:39 PM »
If you can get Gary top pot soil then it will flourish.

If you can't, then you can mix it yourself. Use builders sand, pumice/ perlite and peatmoss or instead of peat moss,  use 40% dirt.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 11:41:32 PM »
They tolerate my 8+ well water so I don't think that's it. They don't need much water when they're young, they can take a lot of sun (I have seedlings popping up full sun), all my biggest calycina/corg are full sun as well. I have grown quite a few of them and some are vigorous, some are not. I did lose some seedlings like this.When they're over the hump and 3/8"+ trunk, then it's on.

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 01:08:35 AM »
They were larger a month are so ago I think they got too much sun and maybe to much water also
I looked up gary top pot soil mix found a good article with gary talking about a mix he uses at his home for pots that is roughly 50% sand, 25% peat, and 25% pumice I did see that top pot has charcoal in it so Ill add and reduce some sand 35% sand, 25% peat, 25% pumice, 15% bio Char. and transplant these both Ill update some day
My CORG's are doing great in the same area in same mix and water.
thanks for the input always learning from yall
"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 01:04:09 PM »
They grow the same as CORG . I agree with too much water and sun stalled them and sent them back, but the pro mix too. I'd put them in some normal soil , they are just finicky until you get them a little bigger.
Also these are cold hardy enough and heat sensitive enough that outside is better than greenhouse during summer, and winter as well in most situations.

I have a fruiting 15 gallon +, 6 feet tall I'd sell for cheap if your interested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk