Author Topic: Another batch of Costa Rica vivero mysteries (& questions)  (Read 431 times)

flavor8

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Another batch of Costa Rica vivero mysteries (& questions)
« on: November 25, 2022, 05:18:43 PM »
I posted last week about two trees I was having trouble id'ing. I went to the vivero's sister store in PZ, Costa Rica (La Bonita, on the Pan American Highway), and took photos of names that I didn't recognize for later research. Questions below:

- Guayaba Pera; from the limited results, it seems this might be a Guava/Pear graft (exactly what it says on the label). Is this right? Anybody have any experience with it? https://fincalapalestina.blogspot.com/p/guayaba-pera.html

- Mamon Pelon Verde Peruano. Mamon Verde is referred to in this article https://thecostaricanews.com/the-mamon-verde-fruit-may-help-people-with-high-blood-pressure/ (also called Criollo, but that seems misleading). What about the "Hairless" and the "Peruvian" parts of the name? Is this the same fruit the article is referring to?

- Manzana Campana. The star of last week's post. Hard to find anything about this. In my prior post's thread, Peter guessed that it might be Eugenia victoriana, i.e. Guayabilla/Sundrop.

- Guayaba Araza Victoria. Regular Araza (Eugenia stipitata)?

- Jorco Liso. Pretty sure this is regular Lemon Drop Mangosteen. Correct?

- Anona Real. Not finding anything on this. Probably custard apple adjacent?

- Lichi Bol Az. Regular Lychee (Chinensis) or something close?

- Carambola Acido. What's the "acid" about? Is this distinct from the regular more "dulce" variety? I've only ever tasted a fairly puckering variety of starfruit.

- Bijarro. I found some good resources on this - it's native to Latin America, and colloquially called "horse 'eggs'" (https://www.elmundoforestal.com/portfolio/bijarro-o-huevos-de-caballo/). Are the fruit particularly worth growing?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 05:25:46 PM by flavor8 »

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Re: Another batch of Costa Rica vivero mysteries (& questions)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 06:02:41 PM »
guayana araza victoria looks like eugenia victoriana/sundrop

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 06:10:36 PM »
The manzana campana is
Wax Jambu
If you translate it it means bell apple
Which is what it looks like/another common name

Some star fruit are acidic so I assume it’s a lower quality one

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 06:15:01 PM »
Guayaba pera is going to be a large guava variety
Keep in mind that nurseries make up names and it can be confusing going by local names.
Peruvian mamon has no photo of the foliage that I can see.
Manzana campana is going to be a fruit in a bell shape that is like wax Jambi. Look at the foliage.
Victoriana is Eugenia victoriana.
Jorco liso is a catchall name for yellow garcinias with a smooth skin.
Not too sure about the next 2. If you ask they might even have photos of the fruit.
Sour carombola is going to be what you get. Some people want that for making a juice drink. Lots of oxalis acid. We only sell sweet carombola.
I’m not familiar with bigarro. I would ask at the nursery. Those guys have to be able to tell you what the stuff is.
Peter