Author Topic: Passiflora citrina question . . .  (Read 388 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Passiflora citrina question . . .
« on: July 07, 2022, 02:29:45 PM »
Anyone on TFF growing P. citrina I'm wondering if you have been able to fruit this species.

Mine flowers abundantly but hasn't set any fruit to date, so I have ordered another individual in hopes that that will make a difference.

And if you have fruited it is the seed/pulp at all tasty? (I know there's not much in those small fruit.)  I can't find anything online about the value or taste of the fruit.

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Passiflora citrina question . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 01:46:34 AM »
Can't believe that no one else on TFF is growing P. citrina or maybe they just don't want to admit it. 

It's a fairly recent discovery from Honduras and Guatemala (1989), which stays rather small but grows like a weed and flowers freely.  It is hummingbird pollinated but is shy to set fruit, by all accounts.

I'm hoping that some rubythroats discover mine and offer me an assist with pollination.  I'm getting several other cultivars of P. citrina in hopes that this will encourage some fruit set.

Still curious as to what the seeds and pulp taste like.

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 10:17:42 PM by Epicatt2 »

Lovewhatis

• Los Angeles, CA 90061
    • View Profile
Re: Passiflora citrina question . . .
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 03:30:30 PM »
In some passiflora facebook groups, there have been many who have fruited this variety. None have mentioned the flavor but the fruit is an interesting shape and the pollen used wasn't too clear.