Author Topic: HLB Spreads In California  (Read 1196 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
HLB Spreads In California
« on: July 08, 2022, 12:55:08 PM »
USDA APHIS added portions of Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties to the quarantined areas. With the expansion of the Jurupa Valley and Riverside areas of Riverside and San Bernardino counties in the HLB quarantine area, CDFA merged the HLB quarantine boundaries, creating a single HLB quarantine. That quarantine expands across Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. In addition, APHIS is establishing a quarantine in a portion of San Diego County. APHIS is taking this action because of HLB detections in plant tissue samples collected from multiple locations during routine surveys in California.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: HLB Spreads In California
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 10:10:29 PM »
That is a bummer, though not exactly unexpected. I wonder if at some point it will simply make more sense to grow citrus in greenhouses rather than spend the money spraying greening "treatments" (for lack of a better term for them) and only getting smaller and smaller yields. Unfortunately, home growers are screwed no matter what, unless scientists find a cure.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 01:24:01 PM »
Yeah, I've been noticing more psyllids on my citrus. I'm pretty good about checking them daily but figure it's a matter of time before they carry HLB. Especially since my neighbor has neglected citrus trees he won't chop down!

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 03:43:16 PM »
You may want to mulch around your citrus trees with oak leaves to prevent the decline of your trees.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 10:28:28 AM »
Infected trees in cities around me are being pulled.
Could be my turn soon.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 02:00:41 PM »
Sugar Bell is doing pretty well here. It is not 100% resistant but it has pretty good resistance and vigorous. I think there are a couple other resistant varieties. Also a lot of stuff grown from seed seems resistant. If they are in pots they have a treatment where they hit them with really hot steam that doesn't kill the plant but it kills the bacteria inside them. Not sure how a local grower could get that done.

There is a decent amount of variability in how susceptible a tree is. Most root stock, stuff grown from seed, wild stuff has good tolerance along with a few of the new varieties they produced. They also have nets that go around trees that are small enough. The net will keep the insects out that spread HLB. If you are growing in a pot, then the nets are definitely large enough. The net holes are small enough to keep bugs out but big enough for sunlight and air to pass through.