Author Topic: What happened to Spring in Florida feels like Summer  (Read 902 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
What happened to Spring in Florida feels like Summer
« on: February 27, 2023, 05:26:55 AM »
Seems abnormally hot 10-day forecast doesn't show much relief. Wonder how this will affect fruit retention. I'm glad I decided to follow TAF planting and watering guidelines for mango trees. Have increased the duration of watering more so because I forget to check my stopwatch and turn the spigot off but that's probably a good thing. Anyone else feel the heat

ORLANDO, Fla. – There have certainly been rounds of cold in Florida from time to time this winter, but more often than not, it has been warm.

The warmth rose to new heights Friday when every spot in Central Florida tied or set new temperature records.

This is partially because the La Nina pattern has been on full display lately
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:19:18 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Spring in Florida feels like Summer
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 11:03:21 AM »
Not just hot, but super dry here. .03 inches in Jan, and Feb has been dry except for a few days in a row in which we got 4 inches total, and then nada again. 10-day forecast remains dry.

...so I am the rainmaker, or at least the sprinkler guy

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 11:33:31 AM »
Hot, dry Springs in Florida are not uncommon. I investigated having an irrigation well installed in my back yard but the $3,500+ cost just to irrigate a few fruit trees nullified that option. So I setup a rain barrel next to my shed with a guttering system attached to the shed to catch the runoff from the roof and through the downspout into the barrel. I'll likely add an additional barrel later on.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 12:34:00 PM »
But it's still winter. It's supposed to be 90° Friday at my location and 91 Saturday in West Palm Beach. I was hoping for at least December January February before the pressure cooker turns on. I just don't know what to think of November anymore it's anyone's guess
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 01:17:29 PM »
Hot, dry Springs in Florida are not uncommon. I investigated having an irrigation well installed in my back yard but the $3,500+ cost just to irrigate a few fruit trees nullified that option. So I setup a rain barrel next to my shed with a guttering system attached to the shed to catch the runoff from the roof and through the downspout into the barrel. I'll likely add an additional barrel later on.
Very smart.  We should be doing more of that.
John

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 01:37:02 PM »

Im actually doing the same.

Some of my plants cant handle the city water at all.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 02:19:06 PM »

We only get one week of Spring and one week of Fall in many places in Florida Lol...it's very sad! I heard this February is one of the hottest on record for us, several places breaking above high records. I've lived here for 30 years and I've never seen temps this hot for February! It's awful...I hope summer isn't going to be worse!!! Our winter temps are getting less and less  :-\

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 09:33:59 PM »

My city water has chloramine added to it which does not dissipate with time, so filling a barrel with the hose and letting it sit for a week to evaporate (like chlorine does) won't work. This stuff kills beneficial microbes in the soil in addition to the fact that it is just not good for the health of the plants. But yeah it's been dry lately - we need some rain!!!

Piss P

• Washington DC (7b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 09:54:12 PM »

My city water has chloramine added to it which does not dissipate with time, so filling a barrel with the hose and letting it sit for a week to evaporate (like chlorine does) won't work. This stuff kills beneficial microbes in the soil in addition to the fact that it is just not good for the health of the plants. But yeah it's been dry lately - we need some rain!!!

Chloramines can be fairly easily removed via multiple processes - simple & involved - activated carbon, UV irradiation, RO and more. I imagine the most interesting/beneficial for growers is humic acid - low dilution factor and apparent pros of adding humic acid to soil.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 10:25:13 PM »

There is some good information on the web about washing (jetting) in your own well. Based on how energetic you are and how far it is to water it could be an option.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://drillyourownwell.com/more-from-bill/&ved=2ahUKEwjyv53_obf9AhU7TTABHdHzBLQQFnoECCIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0wwMIs0tUrigw7chzeVCKw

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 06:26:01 AM »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 08:06:01 PM »
Wishful thinking but hopefully this is a smoke-free Wildfire free dry season

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/brush-fire-sends-smoke-plummeting-into-air-near-disney-world-universal-and-seaworld

I'm kinda doubting that at this point. Just yesterday I stopped to help put out a grass fire on the side of the road. Someone had spilled some chemicals that made the fire very hard to put out.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 05:12:01 AM »

Yeah my barrels are attached to my gutters and Im going to use a pump to irrigate. Going to daisy chain 2 on each side of my house. Might add a few more to my back yard also.

Filling the rain barrels with city water never crossed my mind.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 10:26:37 AM »
The future forecast looks like we may be returning to more normal (cooler) temperatures around March 11.  Please Lord, make April nice before summer returns in May!
John