Author Topic: Lime leaves curling  (Read 524 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Lime leaves curling
« on: March 07, 2023, 12:34:19 PM »
I have a few Persian limes along with Meyer lemons in pots right next to each other. Two weeks ago gave all of them a top dressing of compost along with some well-aged cow manure. Lemons are putting out healthy new leaves, but the limes are curling (see pics). It’s not CLM (it's an issue, but I know what CLM looks like), I can’t see any pests or damage to the new leaves, so I’m thinking it’s something in the top dressing. I also moved them to a slightly sunnier spot a week or two prior to the top dressing; they are getting maybe 3 hours of (early morning) extra sun, but are shaded from 11AM-3PM.

Any guesses on the issue (and solutions) are appreciated!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:41:51 PM by JakeFruit »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Lime leaves curling
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 01:17:22 PM »
Could be most any sucking insects, with a high probably being  thrips.  This type of problem can be easily be eliminated by spraying the new growth with a horticultural oil every couple days until the leaf matures.  Even a daily  strong water spray to the upper and lower  leaf until the new growth firms up will go a long way to stop this leaf curl.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 05:52:17 PM by Millet »

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 01:28:24 PM »
Thanks Millet.
Figures, I moved all my citrus pots to a different area of my yard and the CLM issue disappeared (guess those little critters don't have a very large range), but now I have thirps  ::)
I can use the Spinosad I had been spraying to fight CLM, right?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 05:56:21 PM »
you can use anything that kills thrip.  The new leaves require protection from the start of the leaf's life, until it becomes mature enough in order to deter leaf curl.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 04:07:46 PM by Millet »

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 08:51:27 AM »
Okay, looks like it does. One last question, I know the popular opinion is you don't remove leaves damaged by CLM, would you say the same for these curly leaves? They are really gnarly and snap/break with the slightest force. I'm thinking removing them might prompt the trees to push new leaves again (sooner).

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 04:14:21 PM »
I don't know the real answer to that.  Any curled leaves that one of my trees get, I leave on for their natural life (18 months).  Curled leaves still produce almost the same amount of energy for the tree as do normal curled leaves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk