Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 59679 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2022, 02:42:41 PM »
No,

I could be completely wrong but I believe that there is no need for specific male trees.

For example, you don’t need a female and male Dongkui to get fruit. You just need a female, or hermaphrodite, and a male that produces pollen around the same time.

I’ve done a lot of searching and have not heard about specific male Dongkui, male Biqi, male an Hai and male crystal trees. I personally believe it is a marketing gimmick. Nothing I have found online talks about these specific male trees.

I am very interested in the time of year everyone’s male trees bloom and I would love to collect the data from everyone that purchased Specific male trees so please post your variety name and when it blooms once your trees are mature enough.

My understanding is that the Yangmei season is relatively short and most varieties bloom at approximately the same time. Sure, some will bloom a little earlier or later but I assume just about any male and female combination will give you fruit once your trees are mature enough.

I assume varieties with larger fruit like Dongkui will ripen slightly later and smaller varieties like Biqi May ripen slightly earlier but this is just my guess.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2022, 03:22:10 PM »
I agree with Simon, there is no need for specific male tree.

I don't see any sentence or statement from the article need specific male tree.  It just said need a male tree.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2022, 06:22:42 PM »
I am going to plant some French Marigold & Mustard green on YangMei pot.  Let hope for the best.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2022, 07:29:04 PM »
I am going to plant some French Marigold & Mustard green on YangMei pot.  Let hope for the best.

Food grade hydrogen peroxide might actually work.

http://www.plantprotection.pl/Interaction-of-root-knot-nematode-Meloidogyne-javanica-and-tomato-as-affected-by,91339,0,2.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:33:13 PM by gozp »

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2022, 01:49:32 PM »
This is my biqi (the fastest growing one I have).  I didn't pay attention to the root when I received my batch of trees.  What are the symptoms to the tree when they have RKN?

As a best practice, I prophylactically treated my trees with this product

When we received our trees in April 2021, I noticed what might have been RKN on the bare root trees so I looked under a microscope and dissected some of the galls and didn’t see any live nematodes.

Shortly after the shipment, I messed up and may have accidentally inoculated my soil with RKN thinking it was Frankia, still not sure but anyway, I used this product and waited about a month and then I used these beneficial nematodes

https://www.naturesgoodguys.com/products/5-million-live-beneficial-nematodes-sf-fungus-gnat-rootknot-gall-exterminator?variant=23323522563

As you can see by the pictures of my Yangmei roots, there is no sign of RKN.

It would be wise for all current and future Yangmei group buys to prophylactically treat their trees.

RKN thrives under certain conditions and some parts of Florida and California may have conditions where RKN can thrive. Under less than ideal conditions, RKN will not flourish and will not cause much of an issue but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Simon

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2022, 05:48:04 PM »
All,
I moved this list from the "Yangmei bud swelling thread".
Recommendations so far:

1. Humidity:                High Humidity
2. Temp:                     Warm temp at or around 70 degrees F for soil temps
3. Planting medium:     Spagnum
4. Pot size:                  3 gal
5. Watering regime:      Allow plants to dry between watering
6. Light:                      Full light for mature plants Diffuse light for dormant
7. Fertilize                   Fertilize with nitrogen(manure)
8. Pollination               Have a male for females
9. Pruning                   Prune tree in crown shape

Anybody else who has had some success feel free to chime in. Please make corrections if you feel there is an error.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 05:59:03 PM by CarolinaZone »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2022, 10:16:32 PM »
This is my biqi (the fastest growing one I have).  I didn't pay attention to the root when I received my batch of trees.  What are the symptoms to the tree when they have RKN?

As a best practice, I prophylactically treated my trees with this product

When we received our trees in April 2021, I noticed what might have been RKN on the bare root trees so I looked under a microscope and dissected some of the galls and didn’t see any live nematodes.

Shortly after the shipment, I messed up and may have accidentally inoculated my soil with RKN thinking it was Frankia, still not sure but anyway, I used this product and waited about a month and then I used these beneficial nematodes

https://www.naturesgoodguys.com/products/5-million-live-beneficial-nematodes-sf-fungus-gnat-rootknot-gall-exterminator?variant=23323522563

As you can see by the pictures of my Yangmei roots, there is no sign of RKN.

It would be wise for all current and future Yangmei group buys to prophylactically treat their trees.

RKN thrives under certain conditions and some parts of Florida and California may have conditions where RKN can thrive. Under less than ideal conditions, RKN will not flourish and will not cause much of an issue but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Simon

I don’t know the exact symptoms as it relates to Yangmei but internet research says you can expect decreased productivity, poor growth of the tree, general decline in the health of the tree and in extreme cases, death of the tree.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2022, 10:52:54 PM »
All,
I moved this list from the "Yangmei bud swelling thread".
Recommendations so far:

1. Humidity:                High Humidity
2. Temp:                     Warm temp at or around 70 degrees F for soil temps
3. Planting medium:     Spagnum
4. Pot size:                  3 gal
5. Watering regime:      Allow plants to dry between watering
6. Light:                      Full light for mature plants Diffuse light for dormant
7. Fertilize                   Fertilize with nitrogen(manure)
8. Pollination               Have a male for females
9. Pruning                   Prune tree in crown shape

Anybody else who has had some success feel free to chime in. Please make corrections if you feel there is an error.

The planting medium can be just about anything that has good drainage. You should be familiar with the planting medium and also be familiar with the perched water table and water/air holding capacity of the soil.

As with all my amended soils if I want to increase drainage or aeration, I add pumice instead of vermiculite or perlite.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2022, 01:09:54 AM »
Good to keep in mind for the future.

First paragraph of that Chinese page

The 5 reasons why plants don’t fruit:
1. Lack of light
2. Soil too rich
3. Weather
4. Age
5. Lack of males

The pruning stuff in that page is all about reducing the tree size and increasing sun exposure. It says things like remove large branches and keep small ones. Remove verticals and keep horizontals. Remove outers and keep inners. Girdle branches 4ft away from the growing tip for better fruits. Pretty much practices that won’t apply to your trees for the first several years until they’re pretty big.

It also says to spray the crown with Paclobutrazol to control the tree height, which wears off after a few years. Okay to reapply consecutively.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2022, 01:14:02 AM »
I thought the male trees were just grafted trees where the grafts died off. It’s standard nursery practice to call seedlings males. If you remember Marta’s germination numbers, it’s actually around 50% males. So your male trees could turn out to be female if my guess is correct.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2022, 10:37:11 AM »
I sure hope that’s not what the nursery was selling. I believe the nursery was selling purposefully grafted male Dongkui, Biqi, An Hai and Crystal.

Fang, have you read anything about males of these varieties? I know Dongkui is supposed to produce both male and female flowers as it get more mature but I have not heard of specific male only varieties of these trees.

The literature just talks about male trees in general.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2022, 10:39:57 AM »
I thought the male trees were just grafted trees where the grafts died off. It’s standard nursery practice to call seedlings males. If you remember Marta’s germination numbers, it’s actually around 50% males. So your male trees could turn out to be female if my guess is correct.

Yes, my seedling Yangmei ratio was exactly 2 males and 2 females.

Simon

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2022, 10:42:06 AM »
Simon,

Is there a specific reason you don’t use perlite and vermiculite?  I use pumice, perlite, and vermiculite in my container mixes.  The vermiculite retains moisture and readily absorbs water, which helps to offset the hydrophobic properties of peat when the soil dries out.  I also like perlite because it is lightweight and I have some large containers that can get too heavy for me when using pumice alone.

Janet

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2022, 02:00:16 PM »
Hi I’m looking for a few or more people who are ready to have their trees sexed. I have a sucker growing from one of my trees and I’d really like to know if it’s a male or female. For the sexing, she needs 10 samples to run the assay, it is $200 for 10 samples, or one run. She can run one sample for $200. It is about the reagents and supplies' costs, that’s why I’d like to find a few more people who want to check their plants too and split the run cost. I’m ready to do it ASAP. Thanks

This is my Biqi from Kens group buy last year, I planted it in the ground a couple months ago mid January, they really start to take off once they’re in the ground and it’s started to flush nicely in the last couple weeks.
Nate

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2022, 10:41:01 PM »
Simon,

Is there a specific reason you don’t use perlite and vermiculite?  I use pumice, perlite, and vermiculite in my container mixes.  The vermiculite retains moisture and readily absorbs water, which helps to offset the hydrophobic properties of peat when the soil dries out.  I also like perlite because it is lightweight and I have some large containers that can get too heavy for me when using pumice alone.

Janet

Hey Janet,

I use pumice instead of the other because it does not float when watered and also because it is much heavier. When used in pots, the heavier weight prevents plants from blowing over in high winds.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2022, 06:26:16 PM »
I don’t know much about males of named varieties. That’s why I was guessing they’re just rootstocks with failed grafts. But I’m not positive of this either, just guessing.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2022, 11:57:27 AM »
I ordered one grafted Biqi male.  There is no visible graft, it looks like rootstock growth from a failed graft that rotted.

Janet

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2022, 10:51:45 PM »
Janet, post a picture. Just to be sure, you can send out a leaf for DNA analysis to determine if it’s a male or female.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2022, 11:01:25 PM »
Janet,

I read that the male trees could be rootstocks from failed female grafts.

Please see page 8, reply #175 of this thread:

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=45912.175

If the males are non grafted seedlings, how do they have specific male versions of Dongkui, Biqi, Crystal, etc…?

Also, if they’re seedlings, how do they know it’s male unless they bloom at a very young age?

Simon

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2022, 11:54:52 PM »
My 3 males appears grafted.  All 3 appears to be pushing growth.

The nematodes issue is unfortunate and a headache to think about.  I began treatment on them.  I just hope I haven't contaminated my yard with root knot nematodes.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2022, 09:07:05 AM »
My guess is the named males are a mix of seedlings of named cultivars, and some of the male trees may have been grafted from proven males.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2022, 11:26:47 AM »
The only thing I could think of would be that the males have the same bloom period as the named varieties. I'm not sure how else you would end up with named male varietals.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2022, 12:27:51 PM »
Males are seedlings,

some of them have failed female grafts on them, This was confirmed by Bill for at least the first order

as for the cultivar, you eat the fruit, you plant the seed, it is either male of female of that cultivar

Based on the level of trees we were ordering I am betting these are grown as monocrops in various areas and intervariant pollination, while possible, is unlikely

Bloom times would likely align better with a male and female of each cultivar but I am not sure how long the bloom season is and whether or not this is really anything to be concerned about

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2022, 05:03:46 PM »
Here are couple pics of my “male biqi”

As you can see in the pics, top growth had rotted and no visible graft.  Not sure if any of the named males were actually selected cultivars and grafted or just random seedlings.  I doubt they would have done genetic tests on random seedlings.  I will send mine to Marta to confirm the sex but I’m waiting for my seedlings to grow and to see if any of my grafted trees have rootstock growth.

Marta sent me five seeds last summer and they all sprouted.  They were in full sun on my deck until last week.  They got a little stressed looking after the recent Santa Ana winds or maybe something else.  For the first few weeks, they were fine in full sun.  I noticed the bottom leaves started dying after I watered them with rain water after the drying winds.  One got munched by a caterpillar.  They are doing better in the shade under my banana for humidity and after letting soil dry out a bit.

Janet

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2022, 05:17:21 PM »
So here's my guess about how to make male DongKui plants. You take a lot of seedlings, graft DongKui onto all of them, wait a while to see which ones took. The ones that took are female DongKui, the ones that failed are male DongKui. Then you recommend growers buy 6 male plants per 100 females so they'll have actual males.